Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

2 hours ago, Spiritdesire said:

I’m needing to get from Newcastle to Leeds on the Tuesday evening for our coach down overnight. 
Had a look on Trainline and there are still quite a few services running and available to buy… think there is still a chance they could be cancelled?

This article about possible more strikes says:

Strikes next week by Network Rail and train operating staff in the RMT union are expected to bring much of the railway to a halt, with only skeleton services running on mainlines and in urban areas. A detailed timetable for the week is expected on Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Strikes next week by Network Rail and train operating staff in the RMT union are expected to bring much of the railway to a halt, with only skeleton services running on mainlines and in urban areas. A detailed timetable for the week is expected on Wednesday.

Doesn't sound like the talks are going to postpone the strikes unfortunately 

2 hours ago, Spiritdesire said:

I’m needing to get from Newcastle to Leeds on the Tuesday evening for our coach down overnight. 
Had a look on Trainline and there are still quite a few services running and available to buy… think there is still a chance they could be cancelled?

Which coach are you getting?

12 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Thanks. I will hold off till tomorrow. 
 Then no doubt curse myself for holding off due to the inflated bus prices

I didn't understand how bad the situation was with the job cuts ....a work colleague visited me today in my signal box and said network rail want off track staff to use their own personal vehicles for carrying out the job otherwise they'll lose their jobs.... These are the workers who deal with fallen trees across the line and gaps in fencing etc etc how the hell are they supposed to carry all the necessary equipment in their own vehicles and actually get to the locations as most require off road 4x4 just to access the railway ??? Crazy 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Euphoricape said:

Anyone else travelling by train on the Wednesday? I'm still holding out hope my train will be okay. 

I'm going just from Bristol to Castle Cary, so I am hopeful that the Festival will lay on coaches from there in the eventuality that trains are cancelled. People coming from further away obviously have greater problems.

13 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

And that’s assuming the trains which they have found a way to run, run without issue. Maintenance teams will be part of the strike, so any issues with track circuits etc will take much much longer to fix than normal. They’ll be lucky if the country hasn’t ground to a standstill by Saturday afternoon. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Travel information

Due to industrial action, you will experience disruption to your rail journey. 

There will be a special railway timetable in operation across England, Scotland and Wales from Monday 21 to Sunday 26 June (inclusive). This timetable aims to offer the best service possible to you and freight services.

Only around half of Britain’s rail network will be open on strike days with a very limited service running on lines that are open from around 07:30 until 18:30.

Map-showing-open-lines-during-strike-day

Edited by gazzared

15 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Travel information

Due to industrial action, you will experience disruption to your rail journey. 

There will be a special railway timetable in operation across England, Scotland and Wales from Monday 21 to Sunday 26 June (inclusive). This timetable aims to offer the best service possible to you and freight services.

Only around half of Britain’s rail network will be open on strike days with a very limited service running on lines that are open from around 07:30 until 18:30.

Map-showing-open-lines-during-strike-day

😞

I've just been speaking to someone at Scotrail and nothing is running up north in Scotland on the strike days, and they're estimating hours long delays on non-strike days next week. I'm away to Phoebe Bridgers in Glasgow and had to panic buy bus tickets and wait for my train tickets to get cancelled and refunded. Just a heads up as Scotrail weren't even sure if they were going to be affected or not until days ago. 

for those in the know on here. What happens to a train that starts at say 23:00 but not due to reach it's final destination till after midnight on the Saturday morning. Does it carry on till it reaches it's destination or is it likely it will just be cancelled. 

Just now, al_coholic said:

for those in the know on here. What happens to a train that starts at say 23:00 but not due to reach it's final destination till after midnight on the Saturday morning. Does it carry on till it reaches it's destination or is it likely it will just be cancelled. 

Shifts which start before the strike action are supposed to be completed, even if they finish during the strike action. Of course reality is a different matter but I wouldn’t expect a train to just suddenly terminate mid-route (unless there’s another reason for it unconnected to the strike, of course). 

Not really been paying attention to this as thought it wasn’t gonna affect me, but remembered I’m going to Nine Inch Nails in Manchester on Monday. Will trains be affected then or is it only Tuesday onwards? Might need to book a coach if it’s gonna get shitty on Monday as don’t really have time to get an early time to ensure I get there, and obviously don’t want the last train to be affected/cancelled. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Not really been paying attention to this as thought it wasn’t gonna affect me, but remembered I’m going to Nine Inch Nails in Manchester on Monday. Will trains be affected then or is it only Tuesday onwards? Might need to book a coach if it’s gonna get shitty on Monday as don’t really have time to get an early time to ensure I get there, and obviously don’t want the last train to be affected/cancelled. 

I think that the evening of the day before a strike is thought might be affected by a sort of "winding down" action but it's difficult to be 100% sure unfortunately.  

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The trains later on Monday evening will certainly be at risk - there’ll be significantly reduced overnight staff, so the process of getting trains in the right place and condition for the start of service on Tuesday will need to largely take place on Monday evening instead. And of course any trains which do run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday will also be busier than usual because people will be avoiding travelling on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

TL;DR - definitely worth booking a coach if you can.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy