Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

39 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Honestly in local government we tried to convince carers to join strike action and many, not all,feel they just can’t do it. They are so involved with their clients they can’t bear to see them inconvenienced. The employers cynically use this. These carers are some of the most underpaid and undervalued workers in the country. They save millions by keeping the vulnerable out of hospital and care homes. I know this from personal experience,I’m  married to one!

Absolutely carers are some of the most underpaid and undervalued workers in the country. We have stopped many people from doing something stupid on the railway. Its the people in care who truly save them. I remember one lady in particular, you would have never seen it coming from looking at her, very expensive clothes, very well made up, very proper (for want of a better term.) We rugby tackled her as she ran to dive in front of a train. After about an hour or so of sitting with her, she started to open up and it was heart-breaking. She was a completely broken and shattered woman. "I just saw the train and thought, this is my time to go".

About 6 months later we saw her at the station again, she was happy and starting to enjoy life again. We stopped her doing something stupid. The care workers who helped her in those 6 months saved her.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rhyscork said:

Love it, I try to have a polite debate and you get this back 😂

I dont know if you were just deliberately mis interpreting what i was saying, or if i wasnt clear enough or what, but hey, thats up to you. 

Lets be ultra clear so there no confusion. I am not special, non of us were special. I was loudly saying we didnt need to be there, but it was insisted that we had to be.

We did not call ourselves key workers. It was rammed down our throats that we were key workers when it suited the people, like yourself and many others who needed us. If this was to happen again, you would be front of the line asking all the transport workers, lorry drivers, shelf stackers, docs, nurses etc etc etc, to do it all again for you, so you or you loved ones could stay isolated and protected. 

"Keeping your job" is always thrown around as if its an insult. I'm very very sorry if any offense was caused to you that I didnt get sacked. Yes we kept our jobs..... because we were still doing our jobs as was required. (FYI sitting in a 4ft x 4ft plastic bubble by yourself with maybe 1 person an hour walking past you, isn't quite the thrill you seem to think it is). However, if people loose their jobs now, then no we won't have kept them, partly what all this is about.....

Never once have i said Covid was a danger or serious issue to me.... you're just making things up now.....

Never once have i claimed to be special.... Never once have i claimed any of my colleges are special... Again, you're making things up to try and score cheep hits. If you disagree thats fine, but its a bit sad if your just going for the lowest hanging fruit. 

You seriously just don't get it and thats fine.

To try and make it as clear as possible so theres no confusion: Its not about me. Its not about you. I am not special. I am not better than you or anyone else. I am not complaining. I am not spinning you a sob story.

Its about the pure principle of being there for the people you needed when they need you. Because the next time you need them, they might not be there anymore...

Its about all those people who DID die so people could sit at home and be protected. Again, I have never said Covid was a danger to me, however it was to a lot of my colleges who did die. All the families of those people who did die. All the kids of those parents who are growing up without a mum or dad. Its the principle of saying, they didn't die for nothing.

The point is the jobs are still required: Do you have any idea how many lives are saved by having staff on a platform? Do you have any idea how many people cant use technology due to disabilities, age, etc etc, who NEED a member of staff in a ticket office? Personally, I think if you are being charged £100s for a train ticket, having a few staff isnt much to ask

Its about all those people who will not be able to afford to live

Its about protecting the working class who take all the rubbish when it suits, while the people at the top take £millions and £billions.

If you read what i said again, I didnt call you Selfish once. I said things were being looked at from a selfish point of view, then also said it wasnt an attack as it was a natural human way of looking at things. Thats VERY different to calling you Selfish. If you want to imply that I am selfish for not wanting to be sacked, then hell yes i am selfish in this regard. If the choice is me loosing my job or you having a few days of your life where you might be delayed for a few hours, then i will pick me not loosing my job every time and if it was the other way around, i would fully expect the same from you.

Finally "If you job isn't needed it should go". Good point! The great news for you here is that luckily if our jobs arent needed, then strikes won't affect you or anyone else at all, as we are not needed anyway so it won't make any difference 😄👍

I'm more than happy to debate and discuss as much as anyone wants, Its important for people to speak to people about issues from opposite points of view, thats how we grow and learn as people. But lets leave the cheep digs and cheep point scoring in the daily mail and the other rags shall we? Peace, Love and Glastonbury 🤘

Having wasted thousands of words in “debate” with our friend Mr Fish on the Covid thread, I strongly recommend you save your effort & just block him.

He’s relatively benign compared to most trolls, but very much here just to provoke a reaction. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Having wasted thousands of words in “debate” with our friend Mr Fish on the Covid thread, I strongly recommend you save your effort & just block him.

He’s relatively benign compared to most trolls, but very much here just to provoke a reaction. 

Haha thanks. I get that Mr Fish (if that is even his/her real name!), is just trolling, however there are a lot of people out there that have similar concerns, so the responses were as much to them. But yes, no more time will be wasted on him.

Fun fact, i went traveling to South America many many moons ago, we went fishing in the amazon and caught and ate piranha. Genuinely tastes like chicken! We were also frowned upon as we ate it, as it is considered so common that only the absolute lowest of the low will eat it. Personally, i thought it tasted quite nice! 😂

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Wife has been a teacher for a couple of years now and still hasn't been on strike - she would kill for a free holiday to be honest 😛 

A couple of years isn't an enormously long time Barry. There was that pandemic thing going on for two of them 😂

14 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Wife has been a teacher for a couple of years now and still hasn't been on strike - she would kill for a free holiday to be honest 😛 

Yeah, because if it’s one thing that teachers are short of it’s holidays. 

9am-3:30pm, 37 weeks a year. It’s a tough life. 😜

3 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

So what's the outlook for the Wednesday at the moment? Got a train from Coventry to Castle Cary via reading at 9.45am (arrive (12.50pm). Is this going to be okay to get? 

Sounds like trains will be running on the Wednesday but with possible delays. Ive got a 7.05 train booked from Cornwall but am half expecting an hour or 2 delay

30 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

So what's the outlook for the Wednesday at the moment? Got a train from Coventry to Castle Cary via reading at 9.45am (arrive (12.50pm). Is this going to be okay to get? 

Would hope long distance trains - particularly ones going towards the SW that day - would be prioritised over short distance trains.. but we should know more this week

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Just now, Barry Fish said:

You haven't a clue you absolute knobber 🙂 

My wifes day is 8 to 10:30pm and half of the "holidays" are spent lesson planing and preparing.

For once I agree … my old man was a teacher … always marking exams and prepping  for lessons late into the eve … or attending governors meetings . 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

You haven't a clue you absolute knobber 🙂 

My wifes day is 8 to 10:30pm on average and half of the "holidays" are spent lesson planning and preparing.

I’ve got a fair idea. My folks were both teachers, I’ve got mates who are teachers, I’ve got kids at school AND I watched all the series of “Teachers” (the good ones with Andrew Lincoln in it and the shit ones after he left). 14.5 hour average day, BS.

My kids’ school had to have an extra day off last week cos, you know, the bank holiday fell on a day when the teachers were already on holiday. What did they do when they finally went back in on Tuesday? Watched a film all day. Not much planning & prep went into that! 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

For once I agree … my old man was a teacher … always marking exams and prepping  for lessons late into the eve … or attending governors meetings . 

When I was a kid I got paid by my folk to mark exam papers (not important ones) - I think I was probably in year 9/10, getting paid a tenner to mark year 7 tests 🤣

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wilko8 said:

I’ve got a fair idea. My folks were both teachers, I’ve got mates who are teachers, I’ve got kids at school AND I watched all the series of “Teachers” (the good ones with Andrew Lincoln in it and the shit ones after he left). 14.5 hour average day, BS.

My kids’ school had to have an extra day off last week cos, you know, the bank holiday fell on a day when the teachers were already on holiday. What did they do when they finally went back in on Tuesday? Watched a film all day. Not much planning & prep went into that! 

Okay I'll bite, what six hour long film was this?

1 hour ago, kugglaw said:

CBA scrolling through all the arguments about unions. 

If my train from London is leaving at 12ish, do you reckon I should get there for 10 or earlier?

On the Weds? You should be alright getting there just before but there will probably be queues. Paddington isnt it? I'd get there about 11.30

13 minutes ago, Spiritdesire said:

I’m needing to get from Newcastle to Leeds on the Tuesday evening for our coach down overnight. 
Had a look on Trainline and there are still quite a few services running and available to buy… think there is still a chance they could be cancelled?

wouldnt trust it, my mate is taking a coach on tuesday to be safe before coach prices jump up too much.