Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Not really I don't think. They've really been emphasising public transport recently, and even some of the coaches need people to take a train to them 

id say a large percentage of people will be effected getting to the site. and a small but reasonable minority of people who will probably have to miss a day or two

it's a bit of an arse though...I did it once...3 trains from Manchester to Castle Cary I think. Expensive too.

Maybe people should start hitching again.

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The answer is that neither you nor I will have any idea how peoples thoughts might change … it might be easier than some expect … it might be worse … never seen agro at Glastonbury and don’t expect to now . I’ll just suck it up and realise people are striking for reasons above my level of annoyance . How are you impacted in terms of travel … ? Maybe if you say what your plans are someone can suggested some alternative plans for you should the worst happen 

Ive made new plans to train up on Weds. I SHOULD be ok, but who knows? its the uncertainty i hate most, and i certianly wont be happy if the journey takes an extra 3/4 hours ( and with the extra money ive had to pay for the Weds)

Im not expecting Aggro, but i wouldnt expect peoples perception of the union to have changed to a more positive one either...

Edited by zahidf

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ive made new plans to train up on Weds. I SHOULD be ok, but who knows? its the uncertainty i hate most, and i certianly wont be happy if the journey takes an extra 3/4 hours ( and with the extra money ive had to pay for the Weds)

Im not expecting Aggro, but i wouldnt expect peoples perception of the union to have changed to a more positive one either...

Yeah that uncertainty would be awfull … especially if it related to my job security too . Hope you and others aren’t hit too bad 

Edited by crazyfool1

45 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Where u catching the train from? I'm catching 7.05 train from Par, Cornwall. Do u think they may just run as expected? I'm really hoping so, an hour or 2 delay is no big deal but just praying the trains are running.

20 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Where u catching the train from? I'm catching 7.05 train from Par, Cornwall. Do u think they may just run as expected? I'm really hoping so, an hour or 2 delay is no big deal but just praying the trains are running.

London. New timetable next week apparently but GWR put a statement out though the glasto website as previous on the thread saying they will run a service 

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

London. New timetable next week apparently but GWR put a statement out though the glasto website as previous on the thread saying they will run a service 

Yeah, I've seen the statement. I can't work out if that just applies for the actual strike days or they mean the Wednesday will be badly affected as well and to think about rearranging travel. Its made me more concerned than I was tbh.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

I'm guessing since its the weekend there wont be aby talks or news until early next week if its happening. Annoying. 

Think the only thing that'll annoy me in terms of my own plans is if there is a very last minute deal struck - I can cancel my Monday Castle Cary hotel only up until next Friday. If there's a resolution after that there's not a lot that can be done. Obviously that would be great for everyone in general but personally hoping that if a resolution comes that its by the end of next week.

On one hand, it'd be great having the Tuesday to explore the area but on the other I could use the Monday to finish off work as cutting it a little fine

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Think the only thing that'll annoy me in terms of my own plans is if there is a very last minute deal struck - I can cancel my Monday Castle Cary hotel only up until next Friday. If there's a resolution after that there's not a lot that can be done. Obviously that would be great for everyone in general but personally hoping that if a resolution comes that its by the end of next week

Don't worry there won't be a resolution, Boris wants to be seen to be playing hard ball with the unions, Tories love that sorta thing. Given his weak position and given how far apart both sides are, I would say the chances of it being called off are next to nil.

Do you have a job @zahidf? Have you ever been treated unfairly in that job? Ever been stiffed by management backtracking on promises? Ever had the feeling you've been cheated? Threatened with redundancy? Pay cuts? Inconvenient change of location?

Do you just tut, bend over and take it or do you try to do something about it? 

36 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Don't worry there won't be a resolution, Boris wants to be seen to be playing hard ball with the unions, Tories love that sorta thing. Given his weak position and given how far apart both sides are, I would say the chances of it being called off are next to nil.

I don't know...will just add to the sense that everything is going to shit in this country....I'm sure many will blame unions, but also many will just be fed up and want the govt to sort it out.

Dunno if this has been posted or not... https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/glastonbury-festival-rail-travel-update-from-gwr/

Please see below for an  update from GWR – the train operating company which serves our local station, Castle Cary – regarding the planned strike action in the week of this year’s Festival.

—–

Planned industrial action on 21, 23 and 25 June is due to affect train services.

We have been working hard to finalise contingency plans should the RMT planned strike action go ahead, and are hopeful that we can maintain timetabled trains between Castle Cary and London Paddington throughout the course of the Glastonbury Festival.

Some services might be subject to alterations to train times and we will be in contact with customers who have already booked seats on board those trains.

We expect to be able to publish our amended train plan next week. We recommend customers who have already bought their train tickets between London and Castle Cary should check that amended plan before either changing their travel arrangements or submitting a refund request for their train ticket.

Other parts of the GWR network are likely to be more affected by the strike action and customers may need to consider alternative ways to travel to a station serving Castle Cary.

Customers traveling from outside the GWR network should check connecting services with their local train operator. For more information, see our strike page.

Monday 27 June – We plan to run a normal service for customers returning from Castle Cary after the festival, please see our further travel advice here.

GWR

Edited by Alvoram

Northern Rail advising not to travel at all between June 21st and 26th

nationwide rail strike has been called by RMT union to take place for 3 days on 21, 23 and 25 of June.

We advise customers not to travel between 21 and 26 June and make alternative plans. There will be no replacement buses or alternative travel provided.  

On strike days most routes and trains will not run. The days in between strikes will see a very limited number of trains running with first trains being much later in the morning and the last trains being earlier in the afternoon. Therefore, we advise you not to travel between 21 and 26 June.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/travel/strikes

Sorry to the people replaying to me, been busy working all day on our lovely railway, only the 3 assault forms, 2 police visits, 1 police witness statement to do today! (Non strike related, just a normal day on the railway! Seriously, someone actually deliberately ran someone over, crazy times!)

You are 10000% entitled to your opinions, agree/ disagree its the beautiful thing of the world.

@Barry Fish, in terms of am I impacted by the strike, Yes, I lose a days pay on the Tuesday (obviously don't get paid when striking, not helpful with a baby on the way). On the Thurs and Sat i am obviously at the festival so those days won't affect me. In terms of getting to the festival, i will be going by car. However My pregnant girlfriend, who also works for the railway and was going to come on the Saturday, will most likely now miss the festival all together. It was 50/50 if it was a good idea for her to come anyway, but this may decide it, we shall see closer to the time. Fingers crossed things get sorted. 

Something as a replay to you both @Barry Fish and @zahidf and a bit of a replay in general. I think a bit of perspective is needed here as the responses are, and i mean this in the nicest way, looking at things from a very narrow minded and extremely selfish point of view. The amount of people who travel on the train every single day is in the MILLIONS. The amount of people going to glastonbury by train in 2019 was around 8500 (castle cary foot numbers). The majority of them go on the wednesday which is unaffected. So this strike impacts MAYBE 1000 journeys tops on the thursday and saturday. You are both acting like every single person going will miss the festival! The actual numbers of people impacted is tiny in comparison, around 0.05% of people going to the festival, with 2 weeks notice to change plans. Obviously this dosnt include journeys from a wider area towards the site the day before, just the numbers going through castle cary. 

Now when i say its a selfish way of looking at things, i don't mean that as an attack, its a natural way of looking at things as people by nature don't care as much about things that don't involve them, the fact you are both going to Glasto makes you annoyed as it affects you. Its interesting that neither of you mention the fact this is going on in GCSE times which has a MUCH bigger impact on peoples lives than a music festival. There are literally MILLIONS of journeys a day on the trains in this country, with all the respect in the world, the 8500 people going to Glastonbury by train is a drop in an ocean! The fact that its the week it is, when there are no other festivals, no sporting events, no football, rugby etc, actually means it will have much less disruption than it would have had if it had happened a month ago, or a month later. 

The thing i love about Glasto is we can all go have a chat and a discussion about things, I will be flying my RMT flag at glasto and am more than happy to have a pint of cider and debate how to fix the worlds problems with anybody. Quite frankly, and i again mean this in the nicest way, If an RMT or any union flag offends you, then maybe glastonbury, a left wing hippy festival of unity, togetherness, peace and love, isnt actually the right place for you to be? Thats not aimed at anyone by the way, its more general.

@Barry Fish Just as an honest question: Do you not think that it is fundamentally wrong for "key workers" to be made redundant?

Again all these arguments against ignore the simple fact. 3 magic words is all it takes and there is no strike: NO COMPULSARY REDUNDANCIES. Thats all they have to say. Maybe your anger or frustrations @Barry Fish @zahidf should be aimed at asking why 1 person dosnt say 3 words, that makes all these issues go away?? Isn't one person saying 3 words "NO COMPULSARY REDUNDANCIES", better than 1000s of people loosing their jobs?

Anyway, love the debates, peace and love, support the strikes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 13

Also as an addition because its quite funny.

Apparently myself and my colleges are so far, single handily responsible for:

The rise in cost of living

Every single person not being able to attend Glastonbury

Possible CANCELATION of Glastonbury

The Tories winning 2 by elections which havent taken place yet

Got to love the right wing drama queens sometimes 😂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rhyscork said:

Sorry to the people replaying to me, been busy working all day on our lovely railway, only the 3 assault forms, 2 police visits, 1 police witness statement to do today! (Non strike related, just a normal day on the railway! Seriously, someone actually deliberately ran someone over, crazy times!)

You are 10000% entitled to your opinions, agree/ disagree its the beautiful thing of the world.

@Barry Fish, in terms of am I impacted by the strike, Yes, I lose a days pay on the Tuesday (obviously don't get paid when striking, not helpful with a baby on the way). On the Thurs and Sat i am obviously at the festival so those days won't affect me. In terms of getting to the festival, i will be going by car. However My pregnant girlfriend, who also works for the railway and was going to come on the Saturday, will most likely now miss the festival all together. It was 50/50 if it was a good idea for her to come anyway, but this may decide it, we shall see closer to the time. Fingers crossed things get sorted. 

Something as a replay to you both @Barry Fish and @zahidf and a bit of a replay in general. I think a bit of perspective is needed here as the responses are, and i mean this in the nicest way, looking at things from a very narrow minded and extremely selfish point of view. The amount of people who travel on the train every single day is in the MILLIONS. The amount of people going to glastonbury by train in 2019 was around 8500 (castle cary foot numbers). The majority of them go on the wednesday which is unaffected. So this strike impacts MAYBE 1000 journeys tops on the thursday and saturday. You are both acting like every single person going will miss the festival! The actual numbers of people impacted is tiny in comparison, around 0.05% of people going to the festival, with 2 weeks notice to change plans. Obviously this dosnt include journeys from a wider area towards the site the day before, just the numbers going through castle cary. 

Now when i say its a selfish way of looking at things, i don't mean that as an attack, its a natural way of looking at things as people by nature don't care as much about things that don't involve them, the fact you are both going to Glasto makes you annoyed as it affects you. Its interesting that neither of you mention the fact this is going on in GCSE times which has a MUCH bigger impact on peoples lives than a music festival. There are literally MILLIONS of journeys a day on the trains in this country, with all the respect in the world, the 8500 people going to Glastonbury by train is a drop in an ocean! The fact that its the week it is, when there are no other festivals, no sporting events, no football, rugby etc, actually means it will have much less disruption than it would have had if it had happened a month ago, or a month later. 

The thing i love about Glasto is we can all go have a chat and a discussion about things, I will be flying my RMT flag at glasto and am more than happy to have a pint of cider and debate how to fix the worlds problems with anybody. Quite frankly, and i again mean this in the nicest way, If an RMT or any union flag offends you, then maybe glastonbury, a left wing hippy festival of unity, togetherness, peace and love, isnt actually the right place for you to be? Thats not aimed at anyone by the way, its more general.

@Barry Fish Just as an honest question: Do you not think that it is fundamentally wrong for "key workers" to be made redundant?

Again all these arguments against ignore the simple fact. 3 magic words is all it takes and there is no strike: NO COMPULSARY REDUNDANCIES. Thats all they have to say. Maybe your anger or frustrations @Barry Fish @zahidf should be aimed at asking why 1 person dosnt say 3 words, that makes all these issues go away?? Isn't one person saying 3 words "NO COMPULSARY REDUNDANCIES", better than 1000s of people loosing their jobs?

Oh so the union would accept no pay rises in return for NO COMPULSORY REDUNDANCIES?

Sounds fair to me. 

My son was planning on getting a train from London to Poole on the Tuesday so we could travel together that evening. I looked at a National Express coach alternative a couple of days ago as he was in Lisbon and I saw a really cheap fare for only £5 at 09.30; there was also an 06.30 one for £9. Stupidly waited until today to book and the £5 trip is now £30...that stings.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oh so the union would accept no pay rises in return for NO COMPULSORY REDUNDANCIES?

Sounds fair to me. 

I couldnt say if they would accept no pay rises or not, the final package of the deal would most likely include a pay rise, but it would at least postpone the strike whilst negotiations are going on. Just to add also that Voluntary Redundancies are acceptable as the choice is then with the worker, Compulsory Redundancies is very different. Thats the major issue for me anyway. 

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

How will anyone know Northern Rail are on strike.

🤣🤣🤣 yeah they only run twice a day on a section of my lines and even then they are cancelled more often than not haha, its called a parliamentary train .

2 hours ago, rhyscork said:

@rhyscorkfly that flag high! I’ll find you and buy you a pint, the voice of reason.
👏👏👏

Solidarity. 

• Thanks 1

I'm in the CS and I don't drive a train and I don't get paid £74k. The facts are massively distorted by the media and now everyone thinks the whole CS is to blame. Most of my colleagues earn less than £40k and work their butts off for this country. Inflation is 10%, the war is crippling us all financially and everyone thinks we are all going to strike for a massive pay rise. Well I'm not. And good luck to you all in a union.  But you put your head above the parapet and who knows what will happen. 

45 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I'm in the CS and I don't drive a train and I don't get paid £74k. The facts are massively distorted by the media and now everyone thinks the whole CS is to blame. Most of my colleagues earn less than £40k and work their butts off for this country. Inflation is 10%, the war is crippling us all financially and everyone thinks we are all going to strike for a massive pay rise. Well I'm not. And good luck to you all in a union.  But you put your head above the parapet and who knows what will happen. 

Media always twist everything unfortunately! All i hear is "train drivers get paid enough already!". Train drivers are a tiny part of the rail network. Train drivers aren't in the RMT. Train drivers will not be part of the strike, they are represented by a different union. Myself and my colleges aren't on 74k, we are all on 14-26k (most around the 22k mark, i myself am on less than that), decent money but not the mega bucks people seem to think. We, like many other job roles work our butts off for this. The last week alone i've seen a college suffer horrific racist abuse, another 2 suffer sexist abuse, another have someone take his arm and threaten to snap it and "change his life". We have dealt with 2 suicidal people. Dealt with someone intentionally drive a car into someone. This dosnt even include all the general daily abuse. 

Comparing wages and roles is never a good idea, none of us really know what any job entails unless we are in it. 

Me and my colleges alone are weak and have no power. The only reason we have the chance to protect ourselves now is our brothers and sisters in other areas, such as network rail, are standing with us. Alone we are weak, together we are strong.

I can't comment or judge anything thats happening with the CS (assuming thats Civil Servants?), but the job cuts look brutal. I will happily stand next to and support anyone in any job under threat, especially anyone who has worked their butts off over the last few years. All i can hope is that if the RMT and other unions are successful, it gives greater power to other people in other jobs and other areas of work to get the rights and protections they deserve. 

Put our heads above the parapet and whos knows what will happen, unfortunately there have been some pretty big indications of what will happen if we don't. Scary times for everyone.

Sounds like another pint at the cider bus to me! Hopefully the sun will be shining, we can all have an awesome time and forget all the crap for a weekend. Good luck to all the CS out there

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

if people are dumb enough to get on board with the right wing medias attempts to turn people against each other to distract from the real problem (that being the executives of these companies and how little of a fuck they give about their workers) then let them......stupid people always fall flat on their face when confronted with facts and evidence.....you want to believe the daily mails view on the stikes? go ahead......may as well hold up an `i am fucking gullible and will believe whatever im told` sign while your at it....also I have some magic beans id like to swap for your festival ticket?