Alcohol free options

chibukushakeshake

Evening all,

Looking for a bit of advice/info from regulars please. I'm heading back to the farm for the first time since 2014 and it'll be my first time as a non drinker. Long story short due to poor life choices, dodgy genes and a propensity to drink my feelings me and booze had a quite dramatic, near fatal falling out 18 months back. I'm in a far better place physically and mentally now and finally getting back to the festival feels quite symbolic. Enough of that though...

Does anyone know of any bars on site that have a decent no/low alcohol selection? I realise that in the years since it was last on the market has changed and grown considerably so there may be more options now even than there would have been had we been going in 2020 but was wondering if there was anywhere that regularly had options? And on a related note can anyone recommend somewhere that sells good coffee? Not bothered about location as I'm looking forward to getting a proper wander on this time round.

Thanks in advance x 

1 hour ago, Lees23 said:

I'd like to think that, yeah.. there's the option there for you bud.

best of luck with your journey.  

personally thought this might be a pretty cool idea on the Sunday night.. https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/memorial-lotus-burn-in-the-park-at-this-years-festival/

Thanks for this. I'd seen the artwork but not read the blurb. One of the catalysts for an increase in my drinking was my dad dying suddenly during lockdown. It was a difficult time for everyone I know but there was a definite added strangeness of losing someone during covid (and all the logistical challenges that came with that) but not to covid. Funny thing is he was a full blown mystic scouser so he would have loved the idea of the burning lotus.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, chibukushakeshake said:

Thanks for this. I'd seen the artwork but not read the blurb. One of the catalysts for an increase in my drinking was my dad dying suddenly during lockdown. It was a difficult time for everyone I know but there was a definite added strangeness of losing someone during covid (and all the logistical challenges that came with that) but not to covid. Funny thing is he was a full blown mystic scouser so he would have loved the idea of the burning lotus.

Sorry for your loss. I had a similar family bereavement during lockdown as well with my brother dying and not getting to say goodbye or go to his funeral was incredibly hard for me so I know a little of what you have been through. I eat rather than drink my feelings so am heading to Glastonbury several stone heavier than last time. I actually don’t drink but sadly never have and don’t like the taste so have never looked into alternatives. However the market for alternatives has exploded in the last few years so even if they didn’t have them before it’s more likely that they might this year. I am sure there is a thread about alcohol free beer as well somewhere if you want suggestions that you could bring with you. 

Just checking in as another Glasto AF'er! I've been hounding Brothers on Twitter in the hope they'll stock some of their AF stuff in the Brothers Bar but no response yet 😞

Does anyone remember if Co-Op in 2019 had a good stock of energy drinks? 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Sorry for your loss. I had a similar family bereavement during lockdown as well with my brother dying and not getting to say goodbye or go to his funeral was incredibly hard for me so I know a little of what you have been through. I eat rather than drink my feelings so am heading to Glastonbury several stone heavier than last time. I actually don’t drink but sadly never have and don’t like the taste so have never looked into alternatives. However the market for alternatives has exploded in the last few years so even if they didn’t have them before it’s more likely that they might this year. I am sure there is a thread about alcohol free beer as well somewhere if you want suggestions that you could bring with you. 

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. It was a horrible time to lose someone (horrors of the pandemic aside). I found due to the lack of contact being had anyway the grieving process was an even more surreal and prolonged affair and made an already horrendous situation that much worse. 

As suggested by  @Lees23 think I'll try and wander over to the lotus burning on the Sunday as a bit of a fitting close top the festival and another chance to say goodbye. If you see a six foot scouser balling his eyes out and not smelling of booze give them a little pat on the back 🙂 

• Like 2

No idea about on site tbh, although I'd be surprised if there aren't options somewhere. 

There's been a thread on conversations around this topic, don't think it's got anything related to what's on site but there's been some really good chat in there.

10 hours ago, chibukushakeshake said:

Evening all,

Looking for a bit of advice/info from regulars please. I'm heading back to the farm for the first time since 2014 and it'll be my first time as a non drinker. Long story short due to poor life choices, dodgy genes and a propensity to drink my feelings me and booze had a quite dramatic, near fatal falling out 18 months back. I'm in a far better place physically and mentally now and finally getting back to the festival feels quite symbolic. Enough of that though...

Does anyone know of any bars on site that have a decent no/low alcohol selection? I realise that in the years since it was last on the market has changed and grown considerably so there may be more options now even than there would have been had we been going in 2020 but was wondering if there was anywhere that regularly had options? And on a related note can anyone recommend somewhere that sells good coffee? Not bothered about location as I'm looking forward to getting a proper wander on this time round.

Thanks in advance x 

Hello, 

I am sorry that you went through a difficult time but well done for making it through the other side. 

I am also going booze free at Glasto having been hospitalised a few weeks ago with a stomach bleed and needing a blood transfusion as I lost so much blood. Long term iburprofin use after breaking my shoulder in January (snowboarder smashed into me on the first day of my ski trip). Anyway, I had no idea that iburpriofin could cause so much damage to my stomach - and I need it to heal by taking medication and cutting out booze and caffeine for at least 6 months 😞

I am thinking about bringing some nice AF beers or AF G&T's (I like seedlip so maybe de-cantering some of that into a plastic bottle to mix with tonic - tastes quite like gin.. ) - also considering ginger beer? any recommendations? I cannot carry too much as I am coming on the coach. It is my first glasto so will definitely be an experience

I do hope some of the bars serve some nice AF options or mocktails ... (is this wishful thinking haha?)

🙂

16 minutes ago, curlylocks88 said:

Hello, 

I am sorry that you went through a difficult time but well done for making it through the other side. 

I am also going booze free at Glasto having been hospitalised a few weeks ago with a stomach bleed and needing a blood transfusion as I lost so much blood. Long term iburprofin use after breaking my shoulder in January (snowboarder smashed into me on the first day of my ski trip). Anyway, I had no idea that iburpriofin could cause so much damage to my stomach - and I need it to heal by taking medication and cutting out booze and caffeine for at least 6 months 😞

I am thinking about bringing some nice AF beers or AF G&T's (I like seedlip so maybe de-cantering some of that into a plastic bottle to mix with tonic - tastes quite like gin.. ) - also considering ginger beer? any recommendations? I cannot carry too much as I am coming on the coach. It is my first glasto so will definitely be an experience

I do hope some of the bars serve some nice AF options or mocktails ... (is this wishful thinking haha?)

🙂

There’s lots of alcohol free drinks that are on the sweeter side. The cider bus does an apple juice one. By Greenpeace there’s a place that does a lot of botanical cordials like elderflower. There’s a place that makes homemade lemonades. Quite a few milkshake places and smoothies. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

There’s lots of alcohol free drinks that are on the sweeter side. The cider bus does an apple juice one. By Greenpeace there’s a place that does a lot of botanical cordials like elderflower. There’s a place that makes homemade lemonades. Quite a few milkshake places and smoothies. 

Ooo thank you - love an elderflower cordial 🙂

1 hour ago, chibukushakeshake said:

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. It was a horrible time to lose someone (horrors of the pandemic aside). I found due to the lack of contact being had anyway the grieving process was an even more surreal and prolonged affair and made an already horrendous situation that much worse. 

As suggested by  @Lees23 think I'll try and wander over to the lotus burning on the Sunday as a bit of a fitting close top the festival and another chance to say goodbye. If you see a six foot scouser balling his eyes out and not smelling of booze give them a little pat on the back 🙂 

Yes definitely this. To this day my mother in law (whom I have known for 27 years) hasn’t even said so much as sorry to me. I definitely think it made the grief process so much worse. I didn’t even get to say goodbye on a phone as my brother lost his voice as a side effect of his chemo about a month before he died. I think the burning lotus may be a cathartic experience for many and exactly the kind of thoughtful act that I knew Glastonbury would come up with. 

22 minutes ago, curlylocks88 said:

Hello, 

🙂

There is a cocktail van (one with cage on top) in the circus field as you go into the theatre field. I am sure they did Mocktails last time

• Like 1

I'm hoping there's some good AF options as it's my first time AF, the choices available now makes me think that there will be a good few on site. I'm usually sugar free but I be a little naughty and have a Mocktail or 2 if the suns shining 😁

14 minutes ago, am00 said:

Yeah I'd be mostly interested in a mocktail or something AF from a bar so I can stick with the gang and not feel un- included queueing up for my milkshake while everyone else sat at the pub !

Go for it! I remember everyone else getting beers in one night while I rocked up with a cup of tea and bit of cake. 

They felt way more left out than I did 😂

• Upvote 1

First alcohol free one too and actually looking forward to exploring what alcohol free options I can find (usual go to is Pepsi Max / Diet Coke on nights out but think that would bore me to death all day at Glastonbury). Never actually truly liked the taste of beer/cider so I am lucky in that respect in that I don't need to rely on whatever alcohol-free beer is being served.

12 hours ago, chibukushakeshake said:

Just realised that my avatar is a can of beer. Shame I never got to try that particular Malawian tipple. 

It is truly awful but does the job of getting you pissed. You have missed very little and well done with the sobriety 

There's many good things about going no alcohol/drastically cutting down on drinking (im the latter): and my number one benefit is the fact that it just gives you more festival.

Less time spent hungover, so you can get up of a morning and see stuff - and as youre not getting falling over drunk, you can actually recall all sorts of details of an evening that are otherwise lost in a drunken fug. Good all round! 

If none of the bars are selling alcohol free beers, ciders and lagers, then they're completely 'off trend.' and missing a trick.

Our alcohol free beer sales have absolutely sky rocketed in the last year, to the point that we now stock multiple options, and we're a small pub.

I hope they do have low alcohol or free beers. It's a great way of regulating. I'm a sod for excess, I just don't know when to stop, but will more than happily chug a few zero alcohol beers in between proper ones. I learnt to do this with shandy many years ago, alternating between pints and shandies, but there's too much sugar in lemonade, makes it too sweet. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1