Getting in with someone else's ticket.

ringRiff

I've bought a coach ticket from someone who looks relatively like me and can no longer go. How heavy are the ID checks on the gate + coach? Is there anything I can do to better increase the likelihood that I get in?

Someone I know got in with someone else's ticket... at the gates they got asked if they had any further proof of ID, other than the driving license they borrowed for the named person on the ticket. They got their phone out and loaded up the Facebook app, and went on their profile, on which they had uploaded a mix of photos of both themselves and the person on the ticket, using that name on their profile. They let him in, possibly just for the commitment!

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, HamishA. said:

Someone I know got in with someone else's ticket... at the gates they got asked if they had any further proof of ID, other than the driving license they borrowed for the named person on the ticket. They got their phone out and loaded up the Facebook app, and went on their profile, on which they had uploaded a mix of photos of both themselves and the person on the ticket, using that name on their profile. They let him in, possibly just for the commitment!

That is quite the commitment tbf, I hadn't thought of doing that!

1 hour ago, jonnyisRFC said:

A friend of a friend got in in 2019 on someone else’s ticket, it looked absolutely nothing like them. I think it depends on who you get at the gate, I bet there’s a few that really don’t care and just want to finish their shift. 

100% this, pure luck. I had two friends try last time, one was in on the second try / the other, not so lucky.

I got in on a random ticket...didn't look like him...they challenged but let me in when I smiled... I.just picked the most fun looking volunteer to approach... also sold the ex Mrs ticket once...offered to meet them with id if required...never hear from them, so assume went fine... I think as long as you don't get jobs worth... go at a busy time...don't be drunk or rude, or look dodgy,  you would have to be unlucky not to be fine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Don't know how true it is but I've heard of "secret shoppers" being used to test the ticket checkers.

I'm sure I read a comprehensive post on the subject on here a few years back which mentioned this.

In all my years I've encountered a lot of people who've got in on someone else's ticket and never met a soul who has a story of failing.  Anecdotal, I know, but I reckon as said above, be friendly and cheerful and don't be a dick and all is likely to be well.

31 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Don't know how true it is but I've heard of "secret shoppers" being used to test the ticket checkers.

Yeah we were told at the Oxfam meeting that they have mystery style shoppers who will test the gates to make sure Oxfam are doing their job at checking tickets properly 

I barely got in with my own ticket one year. No idea why because it was clearly me but the guy made me take off my hat and glasses. Spent ages looking at it and called someone else over to check. I think I would be too stressed to even attempt it with someone else’s ticket after that. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Chomper said:

My picture on the ticket is 4 years old and the pandemic hasn't been kind to me.  Expecting to be (mildly) challenged.

my thoughts exactly,  my picture is me from 2017, I didn't alter picture due to worry of cocking up my registration before the 2019 ticket sale. hopefully common sense will prevail but i do look a lot different.

6 minutes ago, Yorkshire Chomper said:

My picture on the ticket is 4 years old and the pandemic hasn't been kind to me.  Expecting to be (mildly) challenged.

Yep I am expecting it this year. I have put on a lot of weight and will have rainbow coloured hair. Passport at the ready along with photos of skinnier me on my phone!! 

It can be done, I’ve done it more than once using a re-entry/pass out & I’ve got a mate whose done it on first entry looking nothing like the guy. 

Be happy, friendly & confident. 
If all else fails drop the bag n show them a clean pair of heels. 

19 minutes ago, Yorkshire Chomper said:

my pic is from when they first needed pics on tickets, I get asked for ID every year now 🙂 but it's my lucky pic! If I change it I might not get a ticket for next year!