Diana Ross ( party at palace

sedra

5 hours ago, Pipine said:

It seems a bit weird when her talking was so quiet compared to the singing.. I might stick with my original plan and go see Clairo  / Caroline Polachek I think.. 

Yeah, same here. JP looking good that day - the run of Sports Team, TBC, Clairo, Amyl is fantastic. Was gonna duck out of Clairo to go see Diana Ross but will probably just stay in JP all day now. 

As a member of the generation that grew up on the Beatles and Tamla Motown, I've been looking forward to seeing Macca and Diana since the announcement.

I'm working on the assumption that it can't possibly be worse than Ms Lauryn Hill in 2019 but will disappear to Snarky Puppy or Amyl & the Sniffers if it turns out bad.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

As a member of the generation that grew up on the Beatles and Tamla Motown, I've been looking forward to seeing Macca and Diana since the announcement.

I'm working on the assumption that it can't possibly be worse than Ms Lauryn Hill in 2019 but will disappear to Snarky Puppy or Amyl & the Sniffers if it turns out bad.

That was an utter farce. Fucking diva strops  all the way through instead of actually singing anything. Hate prima donnas.

7 hours ago, Mardy said:

'Legend' slot is the most overrated bit of the weekend these days. Hyped beyond belief, a massively rammed field full of wacky c**ts doing some pre-arranged 'flashmob' shitty dance along to some confused old dodderer who has no idea what Glastonbury is, miming to a few old songs and some disappointing newer songs in a desperate attempt to top up their pension plan. Genuinely baffles me.

Which ones have you seen? 

That doesn't fit most of those I've been to and most of those have delighted the audience. 

Best thing about the festival is that rather than p'ing on everyone else's chips you can go and see whatever floats your  boat. 

Edited by clarkete

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

Which ones have you seen? 

That doesn't fit most of those I've been to and most of those have delighted the audience. 

Best thing about the festival is that rather than p'ing on everyone else's chips you can go and see whatever floats your  boat. 

Dolly Parton was terrible, miming and just cheesy and shit and total fucking cringe.

i do understand what you’re saying, i genuinely do, but i feel very strongly that the ‘legend’ thing, and what it’s become, is unhealthy for the festival. I’d guess they’re probably the most expensive booking of the weekend, and i have this belief that the focus should be on up and coming acts rather than this kind of heritage act overshadowing a lot of the other stuff. That slot has, to all intents and purposes, become the 4th headliner, particularly with the poster for this year. It’s got the whiff of a Butlins weekender about it, for me. And like I say, a definite element of ‘going through the motions’ about it from most (not all) of the artists that do it. And i think it’s right to sometimes question that. 

Doja Cat should have got the billing and the attention that Diana Ross has.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I spent my whole life loving Glastonbury, but as years went by, never thought I’d get there. In 2015, given much prompting, particularly from my wife, I attended my first festival.

To this day, and I’ve been to every one since, Lionel is the best set I’ve seen on the farm. My 12 year old daughter and I had an absolute party.

So my view is this.... I understand the concerns around the legend slot. In truth... I now share them. But it’s a “thing”. I suspect many attendees go once, and once only. The legend slot, for bad or good, is now a big part of the package, and a “must see” part of the experience.

ive now seen Lionel, ELO, and Kylie. (Skipped Barry for Killers). I suspect I’ll skip Di Ro.... but if anyone is attending their first festival, go see Di Ro. It’ll be a party.

What's the issue? If you want to see a legend, go see Diana. If not, there's plenty of other great stuff to see! As always at Glastonbury, you're spoilt for choice. 

Personally, as I won't be there this year, I'll be watching Fontaines DC on i-player & taping Diana Ross to watch later.

56 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Dolly Parton was terrible, miming and just cheesy and shit and total fucking cringe.

i do understand what you’re saying, i genuinely do, but i feel very strongly that the ‘legend’ thing, and what it’s become, is unhealthy for the festival. I’d guess they’re probably the most expensive booking of the weekend, and i have this belief that the focus should be on up and coming acts rather than this kind of heritage act overshadowing a lot of the other stuff. That slot has, to all intents and purposes, become the 4th headliner, particularly with the poster for this year. It’s got the whiff of a Butlins weekender about it, for me. And like I say, a definite element of ‘going through the motions’ about it from most (not all) of the artists that do it. And i think it’s right to sometimes question that. 

I dunno, it's one hour out of a thousand, personally I usually love it. It's only become the 4th headliner because it's the perfect vibe for a Sunday afternoon after 5 days of madness. If you put Doja Cat in that slot and make it bold on the poster, it doesn't make her the 4th headliner. You could put AJ Tracey in bold on the poster, he's on the same time Saturday. What is the difference?

For me, singing along with a big fucking cheesy grin on my face with a hundred thousand other people has become more like a celebration of the festival.

Edit: Just to add, I get where you are coming from with the security dance routines being manufactured fun, but that's something you only really notice when you see it on TV. You can't judge the legend spot by watching it on TV, it's all about the energy of the crowd after 5 days of shared Glastonbury coming together to rejoice. It wouldn't work on Friday like it does on Sunday, let alone at home watching it on a screen.

Edited by mazola
  • Like 3

I need talking in or out of telling my mates about this. Fontaines are their absolute favourite band, but they've decided they're going to watch Diana because they'll never get another chance.

On the one hand, I think I should tell them because there's a chance they could come away from the set thinking it was rubbish and they should have seen Fontaines... on the other hand, they could live in blissful ignorance of this performance, go watch Diana and have a the best time of their weekend. 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

You didn't answer my question about which you'd seen 😛

And I mean in the flesh, as much of your earlier complaint sounds like the sort of people say who've been watching it on the telly.  I've never seen the flashmobs from where I've been in the crowd - which is not exactly up the front, I'm an old git.  I'm aware that some people have done fancy dress to a couple of them, but not particularly any more than to any other part of the festival that I've noticed.

Some of those I've seen first hand - Lionel Richie, he was in his 60s and there are always far older people on the other stages than that in the acoustic or whatever.  He clearly had a cracking time, did publicity outside a tent with a flag and the show went down a storm.

Dolly's show - lots of headlines say it's the biggest crowd that's ever been at any of the acts and I've pretty much only seen it described as going down a storm, by people here or any review I've ever read.  As an artist both before and since she's done tons of things to live up to the legend tag:-

Refused to let Elvis have I will Always Love You, as Tom Parker insisted that he had a co-writing credit for every song, but famously it was so successful later that it earned her 6 million dollars which was enough to buy Graceland.
https://www.thechainsaw.com/why-saying-no-to-elvis-was-the-best-business-decision-dolly-parton-ever-made-2015-4

She's given away 100 million kids books
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollywood_Foundation

Paying for vaccines - which given their toxic political environment and the GoP attitude to it I think she's pretty heroic for tbh.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/dolly-parton-covid-vaccine-moderna-b1725631.html

ELO - I know that's one which most agree didn't really hit the spot, but I enjoyed most of that too largely as Out of the Blue was an album I'd enjoyed a lot in my formative years.

Barry Gibb - I was probably least into their music beforehand, but still had a good time.

I've seen plenty more too and the thing you say about newer songs has passed me by - to be honest I notice that far more in acts of later generations, for the legends it seemed like they were usually doing a crowd pleaser set and doing greatest hits.

You and I are clearly poles apart on this matter and I'm OK with that - your view is much less objectionable than some of the folks on here 😉 . 

Not sure what your last line means - you mean in a hypothetical world if DC was still playing or you mean before they pulled out they should have been billed higher?

lionel-richie-glastonbury-2015-instagram-celebrity_640x639.jpg

• Upvote 2

I think its going to come to the point where they might have phase out calling it the Legends slot and just say Tea Time. Then they wont be stuck in just trying to book a senior citizen to hit the stage. Theres going to be a point where they run out of "legends" anyway and thats within 5 years max, especially for headliners. In 2019 they wasted a legend  spot with Janet Jackson on the poster along with Kylie.

22 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I think its going to come to the point where they might have phase out calling it the Legends slot and just say Tea Time. Then they wont be stuck in just trying to book a senior citizen to hit the stage. Theres going to be a point where they run out of "legends" anyway and thats within 5 years max, especially for headliners. In 2019 they wasted a legend  spot with Janet Jackson on the poster along with Kylie.

How did it become known as a "legends" spot anyway? was that the Glasto goers doing or the festivals?

Either way its not a slot i have been big on over the years, i have seen Brian Wilson (carried by his backing singers and woeful), dolly (personally even tho i am a huge country fan, thought it was jus awful cabaret i left early), paul simon (admittedly himself said he was terrible or words to that effect), not sure f old johnny cash fell in that slot in the 90s when i seen him. i didnt see lional ritchie on stage.. i did see him in the back stage area.. 

give it another 5 years and surely yer Oasis etc will start to hit the age where they can qualify for that slot 🙂

edit to add - after seeing a little of Di Ross at the jubillee, i will not be joining my friend at one of his "must sees"... if the other night was anything to go by it is a defo must do something else.. dc for me as well now.  i do think that televised jubilee performance will reduce her glasto crowd she could have had.. or then again...

Edited by garc1a

58 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I think its going to come to the point where they might have phase out calling it the Legends slot and just say Tea Time.

That's just going back to a couple of years ago.  The festival themselves use the term very sparingly and it's only the last two or three festivals tops they've called it anything other than the teatime slot.

But then that does denote a very specific 'Sunday on Radio 2' vibe that they're aiming for with the artists that tend to get booked.

I think people appreciate something familiar and comforting after being battered by Glastonbury since Wednesday.

But maybe it's been overblown a bit and to much money / publicity on it.

I think it should stay but more low key and it doesn't need to be a megastar for people to still enjoy it.

I will be at diana mind as I like her old music.