What sets will be more rammed this year?

AlexOvd

48 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Nah they’re w*nk live, haven’t released anything of note since they last played, and Friday night headliner time is stacked with people worth watching. There’ll be enough ticket holders who stopped listening to new music in 1997 that they’ll be able to fill the tent, but it won’t get uncomfortable. 

My first glasto was 2013 and I remember watching primal scream there expecting big things from their rep.....they were shit, they acted like they didnt even want to be there, the sound was fucked and they had no energy. I love them on record but I wonder why they are still worth a headline slot live? That is one thing I dislike at this fest.....a lot of awesome new music BUT also to many past it acts trading off past glories but somehow still getting top billing or close to it.....the gallagher brothers would be another one, like it or not both of their bands are just shit copies of what theyve done before but they are always here in a respectable slot.

Edited by waterfalls21234

18 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

My take on who'll get the biggest and smallest crowds out of the headliners on each of the main stages (I know nobody asked):

Pyramid

Biggest - Paul McCartney (by a long way)

Smallest - Billie Eilish (controversial opinion)

Other

Biggest - Pet Shop Boys (though I think Foals will come close)

Smallest - Megan thee Stallion (by a long way)

West Holts

Biggest - Bicep

Smallest - Roisin Murphy

John Peel

Biggest - Charli XCX

Smallest - Jamie T

Park

Biggest - Jessie Ware

Smallest - Courtney Barnett

What's everyone else think?

Agree with most of this, although I reckon Four Tet will have the biggest Park crowd.

13 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Agree with all of this except Billie. She may well end up with the smallest crowd of the three by the end of her set but Kendrick will definitely have the thinnest starting crowd. He has the weakest sub*, and for all that he’s critically beloved simply doesn’t have a Bad Guy-level smash in his armoury.

There’s also still the racist old meat and potatoes types who would never go and watch a black rapper no matter what, but may well give Billie a chance (albeit a brief one before going off muttering about how it should’ve been some dreary old man with a guitar). 

*in terms of likely crowd size and crossover with his own audience, definitely not in terms of quality 

With regards to West Holts, it’s a damn shame that Little Simz clashes with Billie and Foals or she could’ve been in for a Chic-esque crowd.

I don't think there is such a crossover between Lorde - Kendrick. That would be if Noel - Kendrick but I really think that the combo will work very well and both will get a decent crowd.

1 hour ago, waterfalls21234 said:

My first glasto was 2013 and I remember watching primal scream there expecting big things from their rep.....they were shit, they acted like they didnt even want to be there, the sound was fucked and they had no energy. I love them on record but I wonder why they are still worth a headline slot live? That is one thing I dislike at this fest.....a lot of awesome new music BUT also to many past it acts trading off past glories but somehow still getting top billing or close to it.....the gallagher brothers would be another one, like it or not both of their bands are just shit copies of what theyve done before but they are always here in a respectable slot.

They're a bit better with a light show and a decent crowd who're interested in the music. An older crowd would love the Screamadelica set and I reckon it'd be a pretty good one in there. Not entirely my thing beyond the singles but I've enjoyed them the couple of times I've seen them in darkness. 

I get what you're saying but with Billie Eilish on one stage and Foals on another, Little Simz elsewhere and then dozens of DJs around the site, is there much point putting someone more "relevant" on the John Peel as well? Feels like that's been covered off well elsewhere. I struggle with the Friday headliners but my type of music did stop in 1997 😂

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

They're a bit better with a light show and a decent crowd who're interested in the music. An older crowd would love the Screamadelica set and I reckon it'd be a pretty good one in there. Not entirely my thing beyond the singles but I've enjoyed them the couple of times I've seen them in darkness. 

I get what you're saying but with Billie Eilish on one stage and Foals on another, Little Simz elsewhere and then dozens of DJs around the site, is there much point putting someone more "relevant" on the John Peel as well? Feels like that's been covered off well elsewhere. I struggle with the Friday headliners but my type of music did stop in 1997 😂

yeah if i remember 2013 was outside on the pyramid half way through the day or something

9 minutes ago, waterfalls21234 said:

yeah if i remember 2013 was outside on the pyramid half way through the day or something

They were on straight before the Stones. Possibly an even more baffling booking than this year. Although to be fair whoever was on in that slot was guaranteed a massive crowd so I guess it made sense to go for someone cheap and easy to book. No such logical explanation this time. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Any idea how rammed Sugababes & McFly on Avalon might be?

Sugababes are on just as most sub headliners finish so hoping a lot of people are over on the bigger stages trying to get a good spot.

McFly, I'd rather see Kacey Musgraves tbh but I do still like them and they're one of the few my partner wants to see so would happily go there. Again hoping clashes reduce the crowd quite a bit.

8 minutes ago, banananey said:

Any idea how rammed Sugababes & McFly on Avalon might be?

Sugababes are on just as most sub headliners finish so hoping a lot of people are over on the bigger stages trying to get a good spot.

McFly, I'd rather see Kacey Musgraves tbh but I do still like them and they're one of the few my partner wants to see so would happily go there. Again hoping clashes reduce the crowd quite a bit.

Huge. Sugababes might be slightly less crazy than McFly because they clash with Billie and Foals whereas McFly’s clashes are pretty gentle, but both will be rammed. 

8 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Huge. Sugababes might be slightly less crazy than McFly because they clash with Billie and Foals whereas McFly’s clashes are pretty gentle, but both will be rammed. 

Tempted to skip Turnstile (who I've seen a bunch of times) to have a silly one at McFly, but I'd hate to get down to Avalon, not be able to get in and end up seeing neither. Anyone know when they closed off the field for Busted? 

7 minutes ago, Lithoniel said:

Overmono on IICON might be the largest crowed in that field ever.

Yeah I think you’re right. 

Every time I was there in 2019 field was empty, this will be different. 

Think we’ll be heading there straight after the headliners .

27 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Yeah I think you’re right. 

Every time I was there in 2019 field was empty, this will be different. 

Think we’ll be heading there straight after the headliners .

I'll be going Four Tet (Park) > nip to camp > Overmono (IIKON) > Fjaak (Temple) all being well.

Edited by Lithoniel

8 minutes ago, Lithoniel said:

I'll be going Four Tet (Park) > nip to camp > Overmono (IIKON) > Fjaak (Temple) all being well.

Now that TSHA's moved up to 11-12.15 on the Gas Tower i think i'm getting to SEC sometime after Sam Fender to catch her , and also to avoid the rush/cut out any doubt of missing Overmono

13 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Now that TSHA's moved up to 11-12.15 on the Gas Tower i think i'm getting to SEC sometime after Sam Fender to catch her , and also to avoid the rush/cut out any doubt of missing Overmono

That’s a shout. 

Just don’t think I can miss Little Simz. 

10 hours ago, ghandi said:

The Sugababes got a really good write up about their reunion gig on Brockwell park. Think the Avalon is going to be rammed for this one.

I'll be legging it over from Phoebe in JP, hopefully Fender will keep the crowds away before I can get to Avalon