The "I'm not going this year" thread!

Cooter

53 minutes ago, swede said:

Aye. Not going this year. My lovely wife, who is my partner in crime at Glasto, has a chronic illness which stops her from walking or driving long distances, she's finally having the op to remove her thyroid later this year so we may return one day,  but we did 2010-2017 together, and have some amazing memories, I'm actually at peace with potentially never going again, her health and well being is way more important. 

We've started doing city festivals with hotels in between each night since she was diagnosed. 

As you say, some things are far more important. Best of luck to you both with the op. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 12:03 PM, clarkete said:

As you say, some things are far more important. Best of luck to you both with the op. 

Thank you. We're very much looking forward to watching it on TV. Then we've got Foals at Castlefield Bowl on 29th, then Tramlines festival next month, 5 of us with our own apartment for the weekend only 30 minutes walk from the site. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/10/2022 at 11:08 AM, swede said:

Aye. Not going this year. My lovely wife, who is my partner in crime at Glasto, has a chronic illness which stops her from walking or driving long distances, she's finally having the op to remove her thyroid later this year so we may return one day,  but we did 2010-2017 together, and have some amazing memories, I'm actually at peace with potentially never going again, her health and well being is way more important. 

We've started doing city festivals with hotels in between each night since she was diagnosed. 

Sending you and your wife positive vibe.

Maybe you could do smaller local festivals where you could camp next to or near a vehicle? Just a thought.

Feeling the pain! I usually volunteer for Greenpeace and decided not to go this year despite being offered a place. I work for the NHS and the last 2+ years have been ***&*(*^*^%!  due to COVID and realised I'm in severe need of R+R and good nights sleeps. I love volunteering for the festival, especially with GP, it is exhausting but I wouldn't do it any other way now I have had the taste. Plan to back next year with a planned week off afterwards to chill and to have some post-glasto recovery / down time. 

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Sending you and your wife positive vibe.

Maybe you could do smaller local festivals where you could camp next to or near a vehicle? Just a thought.

Campings not an issue buddy. We're doing 3 separate weekends in August camping with the kids at campsites around Yorkshire, it really is just the size of Glasto and the ammount of walking thats the issue. 

We're hoping she has the opp to remove her thyroid in October so we'll see how things improve after that. 

2 hours ago, swede said:

Campings not an issue buddy. We're doing 3 separate weekends in August camping with the kids at campsites around Yorkshire, it really is just the size of Glasto and the ammount of walking thats the issue. 

We're hoping she has the opp to remove her thyroid in October so we'll see how things improve after that. 

I found Glastonbury to be just too big for me the last time that I went, as did my wife. In fact, we only got to witness Blondie sing Atomic during the whole festival. I'm sure that you will agree that that takes stupidity to new levels. However, we were very much weakened - most likely because we are no more, or less, hedonistic in our daily lives than we were at Glastonbury. Some would argue that we squandered our time, but we didn't, we had a fabulous time. I don't even try t get Glastonbury tickets anymore, although I will enter some of the competitions, to see if fate leads me back there. However, the current scale of the site is a young persons game, in my opinion.

I wish your wife all the best with her surgery, and a speedy recovery too. I attended Glastonbury (in 2013) after only less than about 3 weeks after having half my colon removed. I was very very weak, but couldn't stay up past 1am. However, I was able to start at about 6am, so can't complain.

Have you been to the Shambala Festival? it's not a huge festival, it hasn't got A list headliners etc, but it has got an extraordinarily good vibe. Not too big either. 

18 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I found Glastonbury to be just too big for me the last time that I went, as did my wife. In fact, we only got to witness Blondie sing Atomic during the whole festival. I'm sure that you will agree that that takes stupidity to new levels. However, we were very much weakened - most likely because we are no more, or less, hedonistic in our daily lives than we were at Glastonbury. Some would argue that we squandered our time, but we didn't, we had a fabulous time. I don't even try t get Glastonbury tickets anymore, although I will enter some of the competitions, to see if fate leads me back there. However, the current scale of the site is a young persons game, in my opinion.

I wish your wife all the best with her surgery, and a speedy recovery too. I attended Glastonbury (in 2013) after only less than about 3 weeks after having half my colon removed. I was very very weak, but couldn't stay up past 1am. However, I was able to start at about 6am, so can't complain.

Have you been to the Shambala Festival? it's not a huge festival, it hasn't got A list headliners etc, but it has got an extraordinarily good vibe. Not too big either. 

Hi Yog. 2013 is my all time favorite year, there was absolute magic in the air that year after the fallow year, me and the wife likened it to a second honeymoon. 

We've really fell in love with the city festivals, started with Trnsmt in 2018, 2019, Tramlines last year and going back this year. Its a nice mix having a festival but my wife being able to take her time in a morning without the hustle and bustle of a festival campsite first thing, last year we finished our festival by going back into Sheffield and going for an all you can eat Cantonese. 

This year we've got an apartment for 5 of us 30 minutes walk, with smoking balcony and fully working kitchen so we don't have to rush out for food in a morning, can really relax and then once we're in the festival we've done VIP which is great at Tramlines, no queuing for a drink or toilets all weekend. 

18 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That was in 2014...I know you've struggled to remember your last Glastonbury in the past. 🙂 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, swede said:

Hi Yog. 2013 is my all time favorite year, there was absolute magic in the air that year after the fallow year, me and the wife likened it to a second honeymoon. 

We've really fell in love with the city festivals, started with Trnsmt in 2018, 2019, Tramlines last year and going back this year. Its a nice mix having a festival but my wife being able to take her time in a morning without the hustle and bustle of a festival campsite first thing, last year we finished our festival by going back into Sheffield and going for an all you can eat Cantonese. 

This year we've got an apartment for 5 of us 30 minutes walk, with smoking balcony and fully working kitchen so we don't have to rush out for food in a morning, can really relax and then once we're in the festival we've done VIP which is great at Tramlines, no queuing for a drink or toilets all weekend. 

Hello swede,

Listen, you might want to get yourself a plastic bucket before reading on (*).............................. The thing is that from the day we got married (right next to the Glastonbury site. That was by coincidence, rather than design.) in 2014, me and my wife think that every day is a day on our honeymoon. 

(*) = Because what follows could cause this to happen;

Man Puking Stock Illustrations – 80 Man Puking Stock Illustrations, Vectors  & Clipart - Dreamstime

I have had occasion to book accommodation for myself and my wife, but it normally scares the shit out of me. I say that because my wife just will not abide by the no smoking rules in such establishments, if a smoking room cannot be obtained. Now your plan of having an apartment with a balcony is a very good one, and one which ideally I would like to store in my memory banks. however, on that front, well, what can I say - I've forgotten!?

Have a fab Trnsmt. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

That was in 2014...I know you've struggled to remember your last Glastonbury in the past. 🙂 

Thank you gooner1990. It is oh so very true - I do indeed need all the help I can get on the memory front. In fact I need help on lots of fronts really. If only I could access a supply of common sense I'd be home and dry, I reckon. One can dream. 🙂

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick