The "I'm not going this year" thread!

Cooter

I’ve had to miss a couple since I started going in 05, due to other life things - other big holidays planned (and me Mother’s birthday is the 25th of June, so always coincides with some part of the festival - I stayed at home for her 60th birthday but she’s given me the green light to go every year now until she gets to 100 😂) and it’s really not too bad - the tv coverage is great, but doesn’t really convey the kind of festival I’d be having. Get off work, get some nice food and drink in, make an event of it. 

I think missing one really makes you appreciate going back and seeing those things after a couple of years, and in a way that makes it a bit bigger and better. I’m sure you’ll go again and you’ll bloody love it 👍

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Aw mate. Your post from 20 years about a heavy handed search by the coppers one of my biggest gasp reading experiences on here. Get the ale in and turn up the telly mate.

Cheers Wooderson, yep I remember that well, can laugh about it nowadays! I've dragged three kids through the festival dust and mud every year since then.

I'll be back I'm sure, big part of my life and I'm far too young to hang up my Glasto boots yet.

But for this year I'll be turning up the telly and the JBL710's in the back garden and getting several boxes of Westons cider in!

• Like 1

We missed out on the original ticket sale for 2020.
I have been lucky enough to go to 15 Glastonbury’s and I loved the 2019 festival- so can’t complain.
It always feels weird not to be there, but I no longer try for the resales, as I find it easier to admit defeat - I really find the ticket sale stressful.  Instead I arrange another festival to go to - this year we are lucky to be going to Madcool and End of the Road festival’s.

The weekend of the festival, I will be working on the Friday - which will be completely rubbish. I will then watch lots of the music sets in tv. The Sunday we are off to see Elton John in Bristol, so at least we get some live music that weekend.

Even though I’m not going,  I am really pleased that Glastonbury is back this year. 
It also means we finally have another ticket sale in October 🤞🤞🤞

Edited by Mr Boo

On 6/3/2022 at 7:35 PM, JoeyT said:

I’ve not missed one since I started going in 2005 but there’s been a nagging thought in my mind where this might be my last before I give myself a break of a year or so.

I'm not sure i see this one lasting - see you on ticket day 🙂

On 6/3/2022 at 4:29 PM, Cooter said:

For a couple of reasons I've finally been forced to throw the towel in this year. Been to every one since 1989 so I'm gutted but also a bit confused about it all.

Where does a hardcore Glasto fan find all the action when they're unable to be onsite?

Beeb? YouTube? Iplayer?

Any recommendations on upcoming TV/online stuff?

or just hide in the shed crying for a week?

Perhaps not the same but I went to every Reading Festival from 1999-2015 total of 17 times.

I only broke the run because finally none of my mates were bothered and I didn’t fancy it on my own.

Watched a lot of the 2016 festival on TV and it did feel odd not being there but you just get over it and by the following week I had forgotten about it.

Went back last year on a day ticket and really enjoyed myself but don’t think I would ever go back for the weekend now.

Glastonbury is a bit different, lots more to do and see and I’ve got a good run of the last 13 in a row and intend to keep going but your health is more important and if that means missing one to ensure you can keep going in the future then it’s worth it. 🙂

I'm ticketless this year but a way in was developing. This morning I've been given a surgery date to remove my cancerous kidney which means I'll not be able to go. I'm not too gutted as I've made my peace with not going this year but hope had been returning so there is a mild disappointment. But you know, cancer will be dealt with so it's a win over all 🤣

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MrHew said:

I'm ticketless this year but a way in was developing. This morning I've been given a surgery date to remove my cancerous kidney which means I'll not be able to go. I'm not too gutted as I've made my peace with not going this year but hope had been returning so there is a mild disappointment. But you know, cancer will be dealt with so it's a win over all 🤣

That sounds like the best silver lining you could have. All the best for your surgery and recuperation - at least it will get you in peak condition for future festivals. 

14 minutes ago, MrHew said:

Definitely the priority. My sister had the very same diagnosis and operation about the same time last year. Good luck with it. 

I am absolutely devastated. 2 friends of the group out of 3 just shared this week they can't go for work reasons. I will still go and enjoy it as much as I can, but it's kinda hard to digest... 😞 If tickets would be somehow possible to re-sale I will give it to someone here, but unfortunately...

17 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

I am absolutely devastated. 2 friends of the group out of 3 just shared this week they can't go for work reasons. I will still go and enjoy it as much as I can, but it's kinda hard to digest... 😞 If tickets would be somehow possible to re-sale I will give it to someone here, but unfortunately...

There’s probably a few meet ups going on … I’ve one for the people from efests resale spreadsheet crew  that everyone is welcome to join on the wed …  there’s also solo camping group that camps in Darble I believe that might help … 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

There’s probably a few meet ups going on … I’ve one for the people from efests resale spreadsheet crew  that everyone is welcome to join on the wed …  there’s also solo camping group that camps in Darble I believe that might help … 

I am not going solo, still I have another mate 2/3 means that only one apart from me is in 😞 It's more the fact of just that the group was so nice as a whole to fully enjoy the festival. But I guess Glastonbury will be all about meeting people around constantly anyway. Still it sucks.

Edited by AlexOvd

On 6/3/2022 at 10:07 PM, balti-pie said:

I think missing one really makes you appreciate going back and seeing those things after a couple of years, and in a way that makes it a bit bigger and better. I’m sure you’ll go again and you’ll bloody love it 👍

This is completely true. I went every year since 2008 until I failed to get tickets for 2016. Was devastated at the time but, even though I've done the resale before, I wanted to make more certain plans and have something to look forward to so we did Blue Dot instead and it was great.

Once I'd broken that run I felt a bit more relaxed about it and it was definitely all the more exciting to be back. 

We failed for the October 2019 sale and decided to book Primavera instead for the same reasons above - I didn't want the agony of waiting for resale after a horrendous couple of years. Just on my way back from that and had a good time but if anything it's just made me all the more keen to go back to Glastonbury.

Returning after a break really does make you appreciate it all the more. There's something reassuring even about knowing it carries on without you.

Didn't watch the coverage in 2016 but think I might this year.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:37 AM, Mr Boo said:

We missed out on the original ticket sale for 2020.
I have been lucky enough to go to 15 Glastonbury’s and I loved the 2019 festival- so can’t complain.
It always feels weird not to be there, but I no longer try for the resales, as I find it easier to admit defeat - I really find the ticket sale stressful.  Instead I arrange another festival to go to - this year we are lucky to be going to Madcool and End of the Road festival’s.

The weekend of the festival, I will be working on the Friday - which will be completely rubbish. I will then watch lots of the music sets in tv. The Sunday we are off to see Elton John in Bristol, so at least we get some live music that weekend.

Even though I’m not going,  I am really pleased that Glastonbury is back this year. 
It also means we finally have another ticket sale in October 🤞🤞🤞

This is generally my tactic, yeah: book something else. Next year I want to get two mates back for the first time in a few years (who deserve a good time more than most people I can think of) so I think I'll be hanging out for the resale if the worst happens.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:47 PM, Pinhead said:

Haven't missed one since I started going in 1994. Trouble is, I kind of desparately dont want to break that currently unbroken line which becomes a bit of an obsession in the end and maybe not a healthy one.

Replace 94 with 95 and this me.

We missed out on tickets in the original 2020 sale and were equally unlucky in the re-sale this year. Bit of a bummer as this will be the first one that I have missed since 2014 (and had a good run before that). Was gutted at the time but booked tickets for a few other festivals to make up for it. Sadly one of those has been cancelled but hey ho, we have a lot of other fun things planned for this summer.

I suspect that I will watch it with a beer in hand on Friday night, but maybe head out and see a band in a pub on the Saturday or something. 

Anyway I hope that everyone going has an amazing time and that the sun shines down! 

• Like 1

Aye. Not going this year. My lovely wife, who is my partner in crime at Glasto, has a chronic illness which stops her from walking or driving long distances, she's finally having the op to remove her thyroid later this year so we may return one day,  but we did 2010-2017 together, and have some amazing memories, I'm actually at peace with potentially never going again, her health and well being is way more important. 

We've started doing city festivals with hotels in between each night since she was diagnosed.