The "I'm not going this year" thread!

Cooter

For a couple of reasons I've finally been forced to throw the towel in this year. Been to every one since 1989 so I'm gutted but also a bit confused about it all.

Where does a hardcore Glasto fan find all the action when they're unable to be onsite?

Beeb? YouTube? Iplayer?

Any recommendations on upcoming TV/online stuff?

or just hide in the shed crying for a week?

7 minutes ago, Cooter said:

For a couple of reasons I've finally been forced to throw the towel in this year. Been to every one since 1989 so I'm gutted but also a bit confused about it all.

Where does a hardcore Glasto fan find all the action when they're unable to be onsite?

Beeb? YouTube? Iplayer?

I really feel for you. 

I didn't think I would be going this year and felt very confused by that as I've been going off and on for 40 years. I was completely sad. 

Then it turns out that I felt I had no choice but to go as a PA. Now I'm confused as to how I'll manage it. Trepidation is an under statement. This year might finally be the last. 

Maybe you'll go again in the future and I won't. It's just a festival people said to me, well yes it is, but for some of us it's become a huge part of our lives after all these years. 

I can see completely why you are gutted. Just got to get through those few days. I'll probably watch it all on the telly when I get back 🙄

Anyway just showing solidarity. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Beeb? YouTube? Iplayer?

So sorry I have only been going since 2010 and before the resale when I thought I wouldn’t be going I spent a lot of time thinking about how I would spend the weekend as did my friend. We both came to entirely different and completely valid conclusions on what we would do. I knew I would be glued to every bit of coverage I could find and she was intending to go on holiday and pretend it wasn’t happening. However you choose to spend it be kind to yourself and know people here understand how you feel. There’s always another year. 

57 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Beeb? YouTube? Iplayer?

I'm a diehard since early 2000s.

Missed 2007 (my son was born... lovely lad) & 2016 (missed out on tickets so I took the fam to spain for the weekend.  My mates went and ribbed me but eventually made my peace with it!!!).  It just adds to the journey. Hope all ok for you and be thankful for the memories.  It's a unique gig for sure.🙂

26 minutes ago, Yorkshire Chomper said:

I'm a diehard since early 2000s.

Missed 2007 (my son was born... lovely lad) & 2016 (missed out on tickets so I took the fam to spain for the weekend.  My mates went and ribbed me but eventually made my peace with it!!!).  It just adds to the journey. Hope all ok for you and be thankful for the memories.  It's a unique gig for sure.🙂

If you had to miss two Glasonburys in recent years, '07 and '16 would definitely be the ones to miss. Weather was shocking for both!

Yeah if you had to miss one 2016 probably wasn't a bad one to miss. I had a great time but the not so great weather and the constant slopping through mud was tough at times. I think if I couldn't go I would book another holiday. No way id stay at home watching on TV id be completely depressed.

After not missing a festival since 1997 I missed 4 festivals from 2014 to 2017 when our children were tiny.  I really thought it would be unbearable not being there, I didn’t spend much time in the forum over those years, other than to read the post festival discussions but I did watch all the live coverage and I was surprised how OK I was with that.  I just knew there was no chance I was going to go and I kind of made my peace with it.

In a way it was good I had an enforced break, I really appreciated it when I came back in 2019, it was so exciting to see the changes that had happened over the 4 years I missed and I had the best festival of the 15 I’d been to.

Hope you don’t find it too hard missing this year and you enjoy watching the coverage on TV.  Hopefully you can get back next year. 

Oh no that takes me back to 2019... Didn't get tix in the main sale and skipped the resale because it would have been quite complicated with work etc and anyway I could go again in 2020, I can skip a year as I've been lucky in the past 10 years etc... 

You'll be there next year guys! I'm sure of it!

It ain't all bad, my last few visits have been Sunday only so what I do is sit down on Friday afternoon with a load of cider, load up the BBC website on my big TV, select a stage, crank it up and crack on!

Cider's cheap, food's good, bog's don't smell and the weather doesn't matter.

Last time around I think it was 5 stages streaming live (Pyramid, Other, JP, WH and BBC Intro - website not red button).

Get on it!

3 hours ago, Cooter said:

Beeb? YouTube? Iplayer?

Been going since 1997, every single year since maybe bar one in the 00s? From 2016 I just started a cycle of being unable to get tickets. This will be my first one back since then. In off years, honestly, I left the country and I didn't watch any of the footage. It was just easier if I imagined it wasn't a thing!

Edited by irnkrtn
Was definitely 2016

Not going this year... Normally volunteer and ans this wasn't available due to work commitments managed to get tickets via the resale but this ended up not being possible due to a few factors so had to cancel.

Go between looking at everything religiously and extremely happy that it's seemingly going ahead, seeing all those involved bringing it back to life it is great....to burying my head in the sand or wishing for heavy rain... It's a battle!

I missed 2013. Went to Shambala instead (which was excellent). It was gutting not being at Glastonbury, but watched a few headliners on TV and thought, well…always next year. Friend managed to get a Sunday ticket, but I strangely didn’t feel jealous. Been to G every year since though!! 

Sorry to hear this. Get a few beers and watch the BBC coverage. It really is great. Unfortunately I found this out in 2017 and 2019 when I couldn’t get a ticket. It was both brilliant to watch but also difficult and maybe a bit emotional depending on your disposition. 🥲

• Upvote 1

My first time was 2017 I thought before going but it might be the only time I would go because I was just finishing a year of teacher training. When 2019 rolled around I didn’t try in the October sale or the resale because of work and finances and although this was difficult I didn’t find it too hard to accept. However as the festival got closer I began to feel more and more the opposite of something that has become really important to me and I persuaded my wife that we should try and work the festival. At this stage three years ago we still didn’t have a way in and it wasn’t until the 12th of June that we confirmed a position working. I know how hard it was for me just contemplating missing out let alone actually going through it, so you have my empathy and sympathy. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much for the kind words.

It's all a bit strange. I've had some health issues over the past few months and part of that has caused me some concern about going this year. Believe me, securing a ticket, then cancelling it and all the plans that we all make just a couple of weeks ago has been weird to say the least.

I just hope I'll want to go back there next year 🤞

Right, iplayer here we go!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cooter said:

It's all a bit strange. I've had some health issues over the past few months and part of that has caused me some concern about going this year. Believe me, securing a ticket, then cancelling it and all the plans that we all make just a couple of weeks ago has been weird to say the least.

Yes, I had a ticket and cancelled it, weird feeling you're right. So many people desperate for a ticket and I'm chucking one back. 

All the best to you, hope you bounce back. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

To sone extent there's a feeling in me that I need to step back as an old fart and let peeps younger than me have a crack at it. I guess that's the way I'll justify ending it for myself as time goes on.

Obvs justify it for yourself as you need. But, for me, the age range and the span of that - from veterans in their 20s to first timers in their 70s. That's such a huge part of what makes Glastonbury so special for me. It's an institution far greater than some bands in a field. So, actually, I think The Kids require your presence and energy, if you need a good excuse to keep going! 😄

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Cooter said:

Beeb? YouTube? Iplayer?

Aw mate. Your post from 20 years about a heavy handed search by the coppers one of my biggest gasp reading experiences on here. Get the ale in and turn up the telly mate.

1 hour ago, Cooter said:

That must be so hard. Hope you're alright and get to go next year.

I missed out on tickets for 2017. Had the time off work so went to Scotland instead. Walked up Ben Nevis, visited Edinburgh, had a bit of a cry watching Radiohead on the telly.

5 hours ago, Cooter said:

Beeb? YouTube? Iplayer?

I failed in October 2019 and despite having previously succeeded in resales or (when they still happened) secret resales, I  felt very cynical about the prospect of success due to so much demand with the 50th.  I could barely come on here during that time and was only shaken from my dark mood by other members of the resale group - several of whom helped ensure I can go again.

If you want to go again, there will always be other people here that will be happy to help. If you don't then folks will help with that too - I've got a lot of pals who stopped once their family commitments changed or went to smaller festivals instead. 

• Like 1

My 2020 tickets went back in the pot (hope they went to someone on here, not to some bucket list, Instagram, ticktock idiot) due to a number of reasons (mobility issues, financial, daughter not being able to go due to work commitments).

Although I'll be a bit sad in 3 weeks time, I'll be watching avidly on BBC & i-player & hoping everyone has a great time. I've done 12 Glasto's & almost certainly that's it for me, but, Christ I've got enough great memories to last the rest of my life!