Burning Lotus

BluePaul

"Join us on the Sunday of this year’s Festival in The Park for a memorial burn.
The Burning Lotus has been created by Joe Rush and his team. It’s a 40ft high sculpture of a Lotus flower, constructed with salvaged wood and canvas in The Park.
During the Festival, people will be encouraged to write down memories and images of people or situations that they wish to let go of, it may be people who died in the lockdown who were not properly said goodbye to, it may be failed business projects, may even be failed marriages, but the point is that all of these things will be focused on and then placed inside the Lotus. At midnight on Sunday of the Festival the Lotus will be ignited and while the flames roar up, the whole gear-driven inferno will be burnt to nothing and with this we will be able to let go and get some closure. A cathartic moment and one that many of us need.
Emily"
  • Like 1

Just my musings…

It’s not the rain we need to worry about causing mud this year, but the tears of a quarter of a million people.

Three years apart, three years too long. 

Millions of lives needlessly lost; through war, pandemic, just having had enough. 

Now back together, a joy to behold. We’re here, we made it, we’re the lucky ones. 

A burning lotus, a chance to let go. To say goodbye, to bid farewell, to scream fuck you. 

Relief, it’s gone, it’s past, it’s over. 

Now look to the future with hope and belief. 

It’s not the rain we need to worry about causing mud this year, but the tears of a quarter of a million people.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, august1 said:

anyone go to this on the Sunday?

When the 16 year old girl singer was introduced by first name only, I wondered how rich or famous her parents were going to be and was not disappointed by the answer 🤣

Now I'm intrigued, who are the parents? As for the ritualistic midnight burning, no I gave it a miss, maybe someone on here can explain how spending time and money building something in order to destroy it a few days later fits in with the festival's supposed green and sustainable ethos, wouldn't it have made more sense to put that effort into building something permanent that could have been used to achieve the same end.

7 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Now I'm intrigued, who are the parents? As for the ritualistic midnight burning, no I gave it a miss, maybe someone on here can explain how spending time and money building something in order to destroy it a few days later fits in with the festival's supposed green and sustainable ethos, wouldn't it have made more sense to put that effort into building something permanent that could have been used to achieve the same end.

I used to work at the Wickermañ and as the name implies a wicker sculpture that took months to build was Ben on the final night. There is something cathartic about such a ceremony which is ingrained in many cultures

36 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I used to work at the Wickermañ and as the name implies a wicker sculpture that took months to build was Ben on the final night. There is something cathartic about such a ceremony which is ingrained in many cultures

Not a bad coaster that 😉 

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

Her mum owns her own fashion house and is worth £200 million.

No different to burning of phoenix to start the festival, thought it was a good idea. Joe Rush mentioned he had pretty much stole the idea from Burning Man in America.

1 hour ago, august1 said:

Her mum owns her own fashion house and is worth £200 million.

No different to burning of phoenix to start the festival, thought it was a good idea. Joe Rush mentioned he had pretty much stole the idea from Burning Man in America.

That...can't be true? Burning man started in the 80s. Burning wicker/wooden figures is a practice that dates back centuries in the UK.

Even if he didn't know that somehow, 'The Wicker Man' came out in '73.

Guess it sounds cooler to say you were inspired by an American festival rather than maypoles and morris dancers 😂

2 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

That...can't be true? Burning man started in the 80s. Burning wicker/wooden figures is a practice that dates back centuries in the UK.

Guess it sounds cooler to say you were inspired by an American festival rather than maypoles and morris dancers 😂

Tbh I was suprised he said it, I think he was talking about the concept of the burning to let go emotions was directly taken from Burning Man, not that its most original idea.

It felt like unnecessary chat but guess he wanted to cite his direct influences and I think he's been involved in their fest

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

There have always been Beltane fires. The Celts I've always used fire as a sign of renewal so of the cultures.