Covid testing pre festvial

zahidf

Will you covid test before the festival?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Before you set off before the festival, will you covid test?

• Yes, even if I don't have symptoms
    • Yes, but only if I have symptoms
    • Not at all

13 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Chances of spreading outdoors are absolutely minimal, so unless you plan to get in someone else’s tent then it’s utterly pointless.

You forget the Nyc Downlow and a few other places are indoors at the fest. How bout those settings. Minimal spread there?

13 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Chances of spreading outdoors are absolutely minimal, so unless you plan to get in someone else’s tent then it’s utterly pointless.

I’m not sure that’s totally true - it will be there and spreading on toilet doors, card machines, hugs, handshakes, shared drinks etc.  The question is are we bothered now?

Apparently quite a lot of Oxfam came home from Bearded with it.

41 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

Just got back from Bearded Theory and at least one of our group has contracted Covid from there. Somesome form of cough people will definitely get Covid at Glastonbury, inevitable with the best part of 300 thousand people on site.

In the years before Covid, I often picked up some form of cough or cold at Glastonbury. Came down with something horrible after the 2019 event.

Yeah that’s true. I guess I mean if you actively tried to avoid it by sticking to fully outdoor areas or even say JP sized tent then you’d probably be ok. If you go into tight crowds and hug a load of strangers then possibly not.

According to Zoe there’s still around 1.5m people with covid at any one time in the uk.

To do the maths that’s 2.238% of our 67M population.

2.238% of 200,000 attendees is 4476.

The likelihood of being exposed to the virus is significant.   

But who cares, if you’re not at risk, and have been vaccinated, then it’s just a cold at worst. If you are high risk, or haven’t had the jab, then just being at the festival is a gamble only you can weigh up. 

The same goes for international travellers, you’re rolling the dice. I’ve been doing the same for the last 2 years as I’ve travelled all over Europe visiting theme parks, mixing with large crowds… Thankfully so far I’ve rolled lucky, and not been stranded anywhere. 

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, I’m really not. I just think it’s important the risks aren’t sugar coated. There are risks, I know them, and like many others I’d imagine, I just don’t care at this stage! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Not in a risk group and fully vaccinated with booster. If I don't have any syntoms or I am not sick I don't see why I should test myself before going to any festival. Then I should test myself any morning to go to the metro, where is way more risky to spread considering it's a closed space.

I think we are in a stage where we need to learn how to live with the covid around, that's what it is.

Edited by AlexOvd

Fully boosted and healthy hear but covid really knocked me for 6. I recovered and catching covid and bringing it home I can cope with. I desperately do not want to catch covid and be ill whilst at Glastonbury with it. I'll be sanitizing as much as I can but essentially, it's a risk I'm willing to take. Hoping I still have some immunity from March! 

I've had all 3 jabs, plus a bout of both Delta and Omicron (latter with zero symptoms) so I'm probably as immune as I'm likely to get and not really worried about catching it again.  Appreciate there are those who are still vulnerable, but there is a strong argument that we just have to live with it at this point.  Not going to test before heading down, will probably test before I go back to work just to be sure.

I can understand taking a test when you’ve got full blown symptoms and you’re worried if you’re not going to be able to make a flight or coach. 

What if on the morning you’re due to set off, you’re feeling perfectly fine with zero symptoms and you decide to take a test just to be on the safe side and it comes back positive even though you’re symptom free. 

What do you do then? Do you give up your ticket on the chance of it being a false positive. It’s a long wait for a PCR test these days to confirm it. 

If you’re worried about being in a packed crowd, no one is going to care if you want to wear a mask, there’s probably going to be some fantastic looking ones. 

Hand sanitiser was a standard Glasto essential before Covid even existed so expect plenty of that around. 

No point worrying about it now and enjoy the festival!

3 hours ago, stuie said:

I’m not sure that’s totally true - it will be there and spreading on toilet doors, card machines, hugs, handshakes, shared drinks etc.  The question is are we bothered now?

Apparently quite a lot of Oxfam came home from Bearded with it.

A lot of people seem to have got it at Bearded, including me, and I spent virtually no time indoors.

Anecdotally, just from Facebook groups and forums, the proportion who’ve come back with covid from Bearded this year seems higher than for any festivals I went to last year. This will be because the requirement to test is relaxed, there is less testing in general, & people are generally less careful with things like hand sanitising. 

I’ve had it before, and I’m triple vaxxed, but still got it. Fortunately, although I do get horribly ill with it for a few days, I’m generally healthy and it doesn’t seem to be highly risky for me.

The government have abdicated responsibility, so every one can do what they feel is right, but everyone just needs to know there’s a pretty good chance of getting it. Its alot of people sharing facilities for a week.

I think a lot of those who get it at events but stick to outside get it from the people they go with. The danger  comes from those you spend the most time around and talking closely with as much as it does from strangers. 

I haven't had it since March and fully expect to pick it up at the festival. Not really bothered 

I’ll be testing pre and post festival … I’ve not had it and I have vulnerabilities (type 1 diabetes ) I do realise that many people have moved on and are past this concerning them … from my point of view I haven’t quite yet although it’s getting better and Glastonbury is part of that recovery process ( mentally ) I know The chance is a lot higher but other than locking myself away forever what can I do ? There will be others who are nervous too … covid didn’t exist when many booked tickets … hope the jabs do their job and I’m not I’ll during the festival as I can’t think of anything worse 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I’ll be testing pre and post festival … I’ve not had it and I have vulnerabilities (type 1 diabetes ) I do realise that many people have moved on and are past this concerning them … from my point of view I haven’t quite yet although it’s getting better and Glastonbury is part of that recovery process ( mentally ) I know The chance is a lot higher but other than locking myself away forever what can I do ? There will be others who are nervous too … covid didn’t exist when many booked tickets … hope the jabs do their job and I’m not I’ll during the festival as I can’t think of anything worse 

The good thing about an open air festival especially one like Glastonbury is anyone who is still nervous can easily mitigate this by keeping away from fronts of stages due to how much space there is etc.

When at the Pyramid Stage for instance we tend to stand as far back as the urinals so we can nip between there and the bar with relative ease. 90% of the time it’s fairly spacious without feeling like you’re stood in a different postcode to the stage.

Just now, JoeyT said:

The good thing about an open air festival especially one like Glastonbury is anyone who is still nervous can easily mitigate this by keeping away from fronts of stages due to how much space there is etc.

When at the Pyramid Stage for instance we tend to stand as far back as the urinals so we can nip between there and the bar with relative ease. 90% of the time it’s fairly spacious without feeling like you’re stood in a different postcode to the stage.

Oh absolutely and I’ve done indoor gigs and festivals since this started … might throw myself in anyways … who knows … just not quite there yet … still some nerves as to how I’ll fare with it … will mostly be forgotten when I’ve had a drink or two I expect 

21 minutes ago, RyanForThewin said:

Prey tell? 

The main monkeypox transmission is going on between gay men at the minute, thus you're insinuating that we should close down the gay club in Glastonbury. A joke, but a particularly foul one considering the damage HIV did to the gay community.

Edited by hjwright
  • Upvote 2

Not much point.  I had a cold a while back.  Did an antigen test every day for about five days, but they kept showing negative.  Then I had a regular PCR in work (I work in healthcare) and I turned out to be positive!  The antigen tests did not work for that particular variant....

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Oh absolutely and I’ve done indoor gigs and festivals since this started … might throw myself in anyways … who knows … just not quite there yet … still some nerves as to how I’ll fare with it … will mostly be forgotten when I’ve had a drink or two I expect 

You’re not alone. I’ve never had it and I’ve no idea how it’ll go down - we might throw caution to the wind the minute we’re through the gates…or it might take some getting used to everything again. I doubt it’ll be on our minds much come the Wednesday, but who knows.

Both my wife and I have caught or suffered from stuff at Glastonbury before and it’s truly horrible…but we both can’t think of how it could’ve been avoided either, so little point worrying.

Edited by dogeggs