Obsession with Music

CRW5252

I'm fully aware this is a weird post but I'm an overthinker and wanted to discuss other peoples experiences...

I am obsessed by music, like really obsessed. The only time a feel properly 'alive' is whilst watching live music. The rush is like no other and I find myself looking for my next 'fix' as soon as I've finished a gig. Sometimes I feel like I can't enjoy other things in my life because I am thinking about music and wishing I was enjoying a gig. 

Furthermore, a large proportion of my free time is spent listening to music and exploring new bands. The proportion would be larger if I didn't want to make sure I spend time with my partner. I will scour the internet for the different music festival lineups and gigs that are upcoming. I'll do this to the point where I could tell you the large bulk of the lineup for most of the top UK festivals this year, and many of the smaller ones. 

In addition, if I'm going to a music festival I will meticulously listen to every act that is playing and form a playlist. The thought of missing out on a great band bugs me so I feel like I need to do this. This often takes me hours and I do enjoy it but anyone I've talked to about it thinks it is odd. 

I don't think there is any problem me loving music, in fact I'm lucky that I have such a huge pleasure in my life. My problem that I find myself stressing about is that everything seems mundane compared to music (especially live music) and that stresses me out. Maybe the problem isn't music, but the rest of my life. I do have loads to be grateful for though and overall I enjoy my life so I don't think it is depression.

Does anyone experience anything similar to me? Does it stress you out? If yes, how do you cope?

Edited by CRW5252

• 4 weeks later...

I listen to different music for inspiration - from Elvis Presley's beautiful love songs to Limp Bizkit's furious ranboo songs about hatred. But recently, I've started to enjoy ambient music because it helps me relax. The problem is that it's challenging to find good ambient music nowadays, especially with unique sounds and instruments. My friend told me that I should check royalty free music libraries as they usually post interesting tracks from unknown authors. He also mentioned that it's possible to find cool stock images there for covers and wallpapers. It's amazing because I need to improve my music app with a good design.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 12:48 PM, CRW5252 said:

I'm fully aware this is a weird post but I'm an overthinker and wanted to discuss other peoples experiences...

I am obsessed by music, like really obsessed. The only time a feel properly 'alive' is whilst watching live music. The rush is like no other and I find myself looking for my next 'fix' as soon as I've finished a gig. Sometimes I feel like I can't enjoy other things in my life because I am thinking about music and wishing I was enjoying a gig. 

Furthermore, a large proportion of my free time is spent listening to music and exploring new bands. The proportion would be larger if I didn't want to make sure I spend time with my partner. I will scour the internet for the different music festival lineups and gigs that are upcoming. I'll do this to the point where I could tell you the large bulk of the lineup for most of the top UK festivals this year, and many of the smaller ones. 

In addition, if I'm going to a music festival I will meticulously listen to every act that is playing and form a playlist. The thought of missing out on a great band bugs me so I feel like I need to do this. This often takes me hours and I do enjoy it but anyone I've talked to about it thinks it is odd. 

I don't think there is any problem me loving music, in fact I'm lucky that I have such a huge pleasure in my life. My problem that I find myself stressing about is that everything seems mundane compared to music (especially live music) and that stresses me out. Maybe the problem isn't music, but the rest of my life. I do have loads to be grateful for though and overall I enjoy my life so I don't think it is depression.

Does anyone experience anything similar to me? Does it stress you out? If yes, how do you cope?

Ha that could describe me 100%!! 

It stresses me out even more now as it really affected me during lockdown. I've responded by just going for it again last summer and this summer. 

In answer to your question, I haven't found a way to cope with it but I've been in the fortunate position to give in to it and see gigs at any time it's not been illegal to do so. I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who's maybe thought the same but got past it. 

I'm sure having kids helps but that's not for me at all! 

There are much worse things in life you could be obsessed about than music. I get the most pleasure in life from live music, I watched Duran Duran last night, got Primal Scream, Prodigy and Richard Ashcroft in next ten days which will be my 600th gig.

i'm more obsessed by football - i''d conservatively estimate at 50% of the thoughts coming into my head on any given day are about football. Well, predominantly Spurs-specific, but wider football as well. Music probably operates at about 30% of my thoughts, i permanently have one earworm or another - and that leaves 20% of my brain available for day-to-day goings on and happenings, including full time work and a relationship 😊 

My music thoughts are in trying to have a decent understanding of pretty much every band or artist that may appear on a lineup  but if i make a big playlist and that one song isnt really indicative of their qualities as an artist, that concerns me a bit - i might be missing out on gold. What i like is my early recognition of a band being decent -  i feel all smug and happy when someone says to me 'oh, you told me about them last year, and they're great!'

• 4 weeks later...

Yup. I joined a music "fraternity" in college, collaborating mostly with students that would pursue music as a career yet....a lot of them still never really "got" music like I do. Not saying they're wrong, it just didn't seem like listening to music did much for them.

I'm listening to music ALL the time...I don't understand how people can drive their car and just have some shitty radio station on that is 70% commercials. The best part about driving is I have time to listen to music and pretty much put all my focus there.

Another thing is I find I listen to a lot more music/variety/genres than my peers. I love discovering new artists and styles and diving into their discography. I find it hard to understand how some people only listen to a few artists. For instance someone I know is getting a masters in music performance, every time I get in the car with him he has the SAME DAMN christian rock album just playing. Like how do you stay sane?

I love the feeling of hearing a new song that just rubs me a certain way. I don't know how to describe it. It'll be like a chord progression or the way an artist says something and it'll bring so much pleasure. I know that may sound weird but I'll find myself coming back to that song/album/what have it and brings me so much joy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...