Van Camping Top Tips

Twiggy553

I just read all 41 pages of the Hacks thread and thought it might be informative to have a campervan specific version.

i’ll start

-A small storage tent on your pitch helps keep van clutter low

- If your pop-up roof is carpet lined you can make amazing blackout blinds by stapling the hook side of velcro to some sheets of blackout material (cut to size)

- Similarly van curtains tend to let some light in- you can make inserts to go behind the curtains from cardboard or closed cell foam.

- A sheet of memory foam makes an amazing topper for a rock and roll bed (i saved mine when I replaced my bedroom matress)

- a 5L tub (preferably opaque) with sealable lid is better for ladies than a lenor bottle 😉 

- there are lockups by Ped gate C - use them to store your keys while in festival site. And to store emergency  items such as waterproofs ot items needed later in the day (can save you the walk back to camp)

- if you’re having a large tent on your pitch have the groundsheet unpacked ready to show the parking attendant how much space you need

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Based on previous year's experiences, I'd add, where possible try to:

Avoid parking on a slope (parts of E17 and E18 for example) because even a very gentle slope if the ground is quite wet it can be difficult to drive off.

Not park up right by busy walkways which can be noisy.

I recognise you're directed to a parking slot, but it's not impossible to ask for an alternative if you can spot a better place.

21 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Does anyone have experience of using a solar shower outside their camper? 20L of water is pretty heavy and would need to be high up…

You can get 12v showers that connects to your solar bag....I was going to get one but iam in showground this year so didn't need one.

Quick search - maybe something like this 

https://www.justkampers.com/ac0410-kampa-dometic-rechargeable-power-shower.html

Edited by gazzared
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Does anyone have experience of using a solar shower outside their camper? 20L of water is pretty heavy and would need to be high up…

Yes - I have slung the bag on top of the van before and used the water that way. Heats up lovely but does make ground around the van muddy. If I was gonna do it again I would stick it in a wee pop up of its own, or potentially stand in one of those huge buckets you get for kids toys

• Upvote 1

Keep on top of the tidying religiously, both in terms of rubbish but also having a place things live. Stuff goes so easily walkies in tiny vans.

If it's your van, get a non transponder key cut for the doors for about £20. Sling your van keys in the lock ups. 

16 minutes ago, irnkrtn said:

Yes - I have slung the bag on top of the van before and used the water that way. Heats up lovely but does make ground around the van muddy. If I was gonna do it again I would stick it in a wee pop up of its own, or potentially stand in one of those huge buckets you get for kids toys

A kids inflatable paddling pool is great for this…one of the really small ones. We got ours from Wilco.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

Keep on top of the tidying religiously, both in terms of rubbish but also having a place things live. Stuff goes so easily walkies in tiny vans.

If it's your van, get a non transponder key cut for the doors for about £20. Sling your van keys in the lock ups. 

Defffo this... My spare T5 key snapped and need a replacement sorting before Glastonbury...also I keep taking way too much stuff away with me and it takes me ages to pack up and leave. I need to stream line what I take away as its not like Iam ever gonna starve to death or be stranded for supplies incase I forgot anything.

Just now, gazzared said:

Defffo this... My spare T5 key snapped and need a replacement sorting before Glastonbury...also I keep taking way too much stuff away with me and it takes me ages to pack up and leave. I need to stream line what I take away as its not like Iam ever gonna starve to death or be stranded for supplies incase I forgot anything.

Keys are so expensive as well! Gutted...

Beyond that, YES THIS. You do not need all that extra stuff. You go, "well we're in a van so I'll just...", and then, you buy an enormous second hand awning on eBay for a steal because people took up campervanning in 2020 and now don't like it, you load it in your van, and you realise it takes up the entire floor space. and YES its going to be brilliant but there's no floor space... Or maybe that's just me! 👀

My biggest food tip in the van would be, economics aside I know some people will need to cook at base, to really think about the morning and the evening. What do you need to do at camp to feel fresh for the day, and to round the evening off? For me, I always brew a fresh coffee, grind the beans in a hand grinder, make it in a fancy wee metal pot with a V60. I shall not be prised from my coffee ritual. So I make sure I have a fast water boiler, some coffee and what not. I also make sure I have some decaff tea for getting back to camp at night. 

At the same time though, try not to be tempted by novel cooking implements unless you really know you're going to use them. You don't need that Oomi pizza oven. This is an affirmation for myself at this point...

Don't bring those big bottled waters, you can bring a container and get water easily. Do bring tons of extra socks. You have the space and its sheer luxury to change them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

Beyond that, YES THIS. You do not need all that extra stuff. You go, "well we're in a van so I'll just...", and then, you buy an enormous second hand awning on eBay for a steal because people took up campervanning in 2020 and now don't like it, you load it in your van, and you realise it takes up the entire floor space. and YES its going to be brilliant but there's no floor space... Or maybe that's just me! 👀

My biggest food tip in the van would be, economics aside I know some people will need to cook at base, to really think about the morning and the evening. What do you need to do at camp to feel fresh for the day, and to round the evening off? For me, I always brew a fresh coffee, grind the beans in a hand grinder, make it in a fancy wee metal pot with a V60. I shall not be prised from my coffee ritual. So I make sure I have a fast water boiler, some coffee and what not. I also make sure I have some decaff tea for getting back to camp at night. 

At the same time though, try not to be tempted by novel cooking implements unless you really know you're going to use them. You don't need that Oomi pizza oven. This is an affirmation for myself at this point...

Don't bring those big bottled waters, you can bring a container and get water easily. Do bring tons of extra socks. You have the space and its sheer luxury to change them.

I'd say bring a few litres of bottled water for tea and coffee. The water in the cv fields is drinkable but can taste pretty grim, spoiling your lovingly made cuppa. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

I'd say bring a few litres of bottled water for tea and coffee. The water in the cv fields is drinkable but can taste pretty grim, spoiling your lovingly made cuppa. 

deffo, Iam going to fill my 20Litre water container before I leave so that should last a few days 👍

6 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

Yep, my van floorspace is always full which then needs putting outside which then gets shoved under van and never used haha. My friends and I have already said were not doing any cooking at all around camp in the mornings because time just gets away from yourselves and theres no real point when we can just get breakfast at Lulus every morning. Just a BBQ tuesday night and bacon butties wednesday morning and thats it .

I was looking at those pizza ovens haha and was tempted but wouldve jst been something elese to un-pack and re-pack.

yep, ive being buying socks for the past 3 months and now how a great selection haha

2 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Not a camping tip, but a reminder that you will get searched every time you re-enter the festival site from the CV fields. You have been warned!

I thought it was just random, Ive been to east cv fields twice and have never been searched

2 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I thought it was just random, Ive been to east cv fields twice and have never been searched

I wouldn’t want people to chance it though! 🙂 Better to assume you will

Edited by Twiggy553

If your fridge runs purely off leisure battery/batteries turn down to 3/4, you don't need the freezer!  On the same note; freezer will not keep stuff frozen lower than 5😆 serious melted mess of ice-pops taught me this in '17.  I now put enough ice for a couple of G&Ts upon arrival in a sealable container in the freezer, no mess if it melts!

I have 2 leisure batteries plus solar panel and we still get the flashing red light of doom during a 4/5 day festival - conserve power wherever possible; use solar/battery operated lanterns or candles, (not actual flame candles that would be dangerous!) I have a 3 pack of battery operated "candles" plus rechargeable batteries, use 1 "candle" at a time - don't leave in your roof on a hot day though... melted wax on your poptop canvas is no fun 🤦‍♀️

Fill your water butts before you travel, saves a mess about upon arrival.

If possible put your awning out to the side that gets the most sun, an absolute saviour if it's a hot one - it will create shade and keep sun off your van, which is basically a metal box, believe me they get hot, hot, hot.  Also thermal curtains/window covers; not only keep heat in but also keep heat out - shut that sun out if it's a hot one.

I lived in my old van, VW T2,  for 2.5yrs whilst travelling, I've got no end of top tips😉 now in a VW T5 which feels like a mansion in size comparison😁

Edited by DirtyLurker
Spelling

18 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

If your fridge runs purely off leisure battery/batteries turn down to 3/4, you don't need the freezer!  On the same note; freezer will not keep stuff frozen lower than 5😆 serious melted mess of ice-pops taught me this in '17.  I now put enough ice for a couple of G&Ts upon arrival in a sealable container in the freezer, no mess if it melts!

I have 2 leisure batteries plus solar panel and we still get the flashing red light of doom during a 4/5 day festival - conserve power wherever possible; use solar/battery operated lanterns or candles, (not actual flame candles that would be dangerous!) I have a 3 pack of battery operated "candles" plus rechargeable batteries, use 1 "candle" at a time - don't leave in your roof on a hot day though... melted wax on your poptop canvas is no fun 🤦‍♀️

Fill your water butts before you travel, saves a mess about upon arrival.

If possible put your awning out to the side that gets the most sun, an absolute saviour if it's a hot one - it will create shade and keep sun off your van, which is basically a metal box, believe me they get hot, hot, hot.  Also thermal curtains/window covers; not only keep heat in but also keep heat out - shut that sun out if it's a hot one.

I lived in my old van, VW T2,  for 2.5yrs whilst travelling, I've got no end of top tips😉 now in a VW T5 which feels like a mansion in size comparison😁

good tips, Ive got a dometic fridge which runs off 12v, electric and gas and last year the gaz bottle lasted nearly 2 weeks in very hot conditions, It's portable but still a bit biggger than i thought it would be so it normally goes in my awning......heres the long bit haha, I cant get get my cig lighter to work and cant find the fuse for it ( i wanna use cig lighter to keep fridge cold for the journey)- T5 2010 model actually says T28 sportline on V5 now I think the fuse is under my double swivel seat which means taking the whole seat and plate out 😞 but for glasto I could leave the whole seat out and put my fridge there instead ? this then meand I dont need my awning. any thoughts if fuse is deffo under seat, thanks

24 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

I have 2 leisure batteries plus solar panel and we still get the flashing red light of doom during a 4/5 day festival

I’ve got a 150w flexible panel and it runs everything (fridge, lights, water pump) indefinitely.

I’ve never needed to have the fridge set to anything other than 1 (out of 7) though and it still keeps ice frozen 👍 

6 minutes ago, gazzared said:

good tips, Ive got a dometic fridge which runs off 12v, electric and gas and last year the gaz bottle lasted nearly 2 weeks in very hot conditions, It's portable but still a bit biggger than i thought it would be so it normally goes in my awning......heres the long bit haha, I cant get get my cig lighter to work and cant find the fuse for it ( i wanna use cig lighter to keep fridge cold for the journey)- T5 2010 model actually says T28 sportline on V5 now I think the fuse is under my double swivel seat which means taking the whole seat and plate out 😞 but for glasto I could leave the whole seat out and put my fridge there instead ? this then meand I dont need my awning. any thoughts if fuse is deffo under seat, thanks

Eeesh - unsure, sorry! 

Ours was a work van that we had converted, I think all of our fuses are under drivers seat.  Mines an 06.  We had additional 12v & 240v sockets put in so not sure what/where stuff would be as standard.  I would recommend not using any power that comes straight from the engine battery though, a flat on Monday when it's time to leave would be a pain.