The State Of The Ground 2022

Sawdusty surfer

Quite  a sketch driving to site today. Forgot to mention  in the vid that the lorry engine, a Perkins P6 , went on to full screaming throttle on the way to the farm. In the semi dark and pissing rain managed to diagnose it as being a snapped ancient  throttle return spring. Quick brainstorming session and the elastic cut from a pair of George from Asda  underpants successfully  replaced it and we were on our way again in a few minutes. Will post a pic in a mo.

Anyway, ground I'd still absolutely  grand despite  the deluge. Fret not folks.

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Upvote 9

On 6/17/2022 at 11:48 PM, Stokesy10 said:

I remember reading a comment on EFests about 6 years ago, and I've always quoted it to mates and it could well be total bollox. Paraphrasing, but something along the lines of, there's high clay content in the mud, so if it pisses it down, if the sun comes out shortly after it dries it up rapidly, much more so compares to normal mud?

I don't know why it stuck with me, nor why I use it as a nugget of info when I have zero knowledge in that field. Pun intended.

I've spent the last 20 years of my life paying intense interest in how Worthy soil reacts to rain, sunshine and footfall. I haven't a clue how any other mud works at all!

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Footfall, not football!
  • Upvote 1

The uniqueness of Worthy Farm mud is not to be underestimated.  I live in a clay area too but never ever have I experienced the Worthy Mud phenomena of crusty on top/soft underneath which creates that gentle bounce.  The mud here, you stand on it and your foot disappears, when it comes out your boot is 3 times bigger. 

1 hour ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Another rather  long  day,  back on site again after a few hours  loading the next  lot of wood. 

All looking tickety boo in the ground department  despite the precipitation. 

I'll be seeing you sir xx