Gate D VS Gate A

CH0161

Weighing up the best way to get over to Park Home Ground, will be in the queue at 5am. 

Have done Gate A last 2 times, but the paths to Park Home have changed now so the walk has got that bit further.

What was 2019 like at Gate D? Would probably make sense for us to head there this time, but I remember hearing 2017 was a nightmare.

3 hours ago, CH0161 said:

Weighing up the best way to get over to Park Home Ground, will be in the queue at 5am. 

Have done Gate A last 2 times, but the paths to Park Home have changed now so the walk has got that bit further.

What was 2019 like at Gate D? Would probably make sense for us to head there this time, but I remember hearing 2017 was a nightmare.

Gate A gets priority. I keep reading and seeing these car gate entries. I've only ever entered via the public transport gates since the festival got like this at entry time. I can't remember ever queueing to any level that means its entered my memory. Asked the group and no one else can either. You'll be much better off sticking with A. 

If you have a ton of heavy stuff, lug everything you don't need to get the tent up plus first victory pint in the lock ups, then stroll back for it feeling jammy once you're pitched. 

8 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

At 5am I personally think Gate D would be slightly quicker. Can't remember exactly which year, one of 2014/2015/2016 my group split up after crossing the road, half went D and half went A. The D half got in about 20 mins quicker. 

Even better idea, split up, race and let us all know!

It's down to the day. Seen big queues for general admin at both A & D. The only priority at Gate A is for coach arrivals where entry is through a separate channel. And as coach arrivals are staggered to prevent overcrowding in the bus park, entry via the coach channels at A are generally much quicker than through the channel of arrivals from the car park.

If I were choosing I would opt forD but be prepared to switch to A if D queues are mahoosive 

3 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

Gate A gets priority.

To the best of my recollection this only applies to the coach queue, which has to keep moving for obvious reasons. I believe the car park queue at A is separate and therefore just as prone to large queues as D. 

Honestly, I'd just go for whichever is closest to the car.  Don't overthink it!  And remember to only take the tent in your first load, so you aren't carrying heavy weight in the long queue.  Then go back for the heavier load on a second trip when you'll be able to bypass the first entry queues and by then you will better know how to get from your tent to the car park quickest.  This is my advice for car arrivals year after year.  Do not b*gger your back in the ticket queue by trying to carry too much on your first trip.  You can ruin your festival, if hot get headstroke, if muddy exhaust yourself and fall over.  Also, with a only bare necessities and tent you can get to a field quicker without collapsing and needing breaks.  Common sense.

Edited by Glast0baby
Typo

21 hours ago, Glast0baby said:

To the best of my recollection this only applies to the coach queue, which has to keep moving for obvious reasons. I believe the car park queue at A is separate and therefore just as prone to large queues as D. 

Honestly, I'd just go for whichever is closest to the car.  Don't overthink it!  And remember to only take the tent in your first load, so you aren't carrying heavy weight in the long queue.  Then go back for the heavier load on a second trip when you'll be able to bypass the first entry queues and by then you will better know how to get from your tent to the car park quickest.  This is my advice for car arrivals year after year.  Do not b*gger your back in the ticket queue by trying to carry too much on your first trip.  You can ruin your festival, if hot get headstroke, if muddy exhaust yourself and fall over.  Also, with a only bare necessities and tent you can get to a field quicker without collapsing and needing breaks.  Common sense.

ah I totally misunderstood and thought they were coming on coach to Gate A! Thanks 😄