What To Do On A Wednesday?

FrankieX

This is my ninth Glastonbury and, for the first time in a long while, I'm at a loss for what to do during my first day on the farm.

My typical plan would be to get on the site nice and early (9-10am), pitch up and then saunter over to the various small stages with musical acts. So in 2019, for example, there was The Rum Shack, S.H.I.TV, The Rocket Lounge, Greenpeace Stage, Small World, Mandala, Toad Hall, Croissant Neuf Bandstand and the Bandstand with live musical acts on Wednesday. It was a very enjoyable way to ease myself into Glastonbury. This year, every one of these stages starts on the Thursday instead. So, what should I do instead?

Just now, FrankieX said:

This is my ninth Glastonbury and, for the first time in a long while, I'm at a loss for what to do during my first day on the farm.

My typical plan would be to get on the site nice and early (9-10am), pitch up and then saunter over to the various small stages with musical acts. So in 2019, for example, there was The Rum Shack, S.H.I.TV, The Rocket Lounge, Greenpeace Stage, Small World, Mandala, Toad Hall, Croissant Neuf Bandstand and the Bandstand with live musical acts on Wednesday. It was a very enjoyable way to ease myself into Glastonbury. This year, every one of these stages starts on the Thursday instead. So, what should I do instead?

Unless something has drastically changed which we are unaware of licence wise I can’t see a reason all the stages you’ve mentioned won’t have Wednesday entertainment added before the festival.

I agree though at the moment Wednesday is looking very sparse which is why I’m choosing to believe the above!

We tend not to watch much of the programmed entertainment on the Wednesday normally. I always see it as a good time to do your big explore and get your bearings. The fireworks are a nice tradition if that's your thing? The green fields and craft stands should be underway too so worth a visit.

1 minute ago, stopwn1981 said:

The money has clearly been cut, hence the lack of Wednesday 

Yes I think the acts on Wednesday definitely look to be where the budget has gone from which is fair enough really. Wednesday is a good day to bimble around the site and meet people and look at the changes. 

4 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

The money has clearly been cut, hence the lack of Wednesday 

This was my thought. It might arguably be a mistake, since I would think that the stages would attract more people on a Wednesday and Thursday due to the lack of competition and therefore it could be wiser to close on Saturday and Sunday.

Wednesday acts mostly played for tickets, not money. So, I think it’s likely that the area ticket allocations have been reduced so these tickets can be sold to create revenue.

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

Wednesday acts mostly played for tickets, not money. So, I think it’s likely that the area ticket allocations have been reduced so these tickets can be sold to create revenue.

I don't know Glastonbury's budget or financial situation obviously, so I can't really say anything with any certainty. But I think it feels like the wrong decision. I would much rather they charged everyone an extra tenner or whatever, and had an extra day of entertainment for people that want it. How many performers would they really need? A couple of hundred at most surely? 

Feels like once the genie is out the bottle it's hard to go back. I can't imagine them bringing back loads of free tickets for performers next year for example. 

2 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I don't know Glastonbury's budget or financial situation obviously, so I can't really say anything with any certainty. But I think it feels like the wrong decision. I would much rather they charged everyone an extra tenner or whatever, and had an extra day of entertainment for people that want it. How many performers would they really need? A couple of hundred at most surely? 

Feels like once the genie is out the bottle it's hard to go back. I can't imagine them bringing back loads of free tickets for performers next year for example. 

People already moaned about the jump in price from 2019 so I’m not sure there’s a right answer! 

It’s easy to forget that the festival proper is Friday to Sunday with a couple of extra days camping if you want it.  There’s already basically an extra day of line up on Thursday, so I guess we’ll just have to amuse ourselves on Weds, until the fireworks! 

I feel like this is a bit mind blowing to me - I have been five times and never realised there was any music on the Wednesday? I have never seen anything on that day - everything started on the Thursday? I didn't go in 2019 mind. 

Every time we have been we pitch up, get some food.. Go to a couple bars, maybe take a walk to the woods/greenfields and then watch the fireworks. One year we went to deluxe diner and I thought it was great because they had a little band on! Anyway, guess I won't miss much this year!

Edited by Larraht

Don't think I've ever watched anything on the Wednesday... Normally walk the whole festival... Walk drink, bars, relax, walk, drink, bars, relax etc etc sit by bonfire , watch fireworks and go back to camp. I didn't realise their was much more else to do ... Which is fine for me 👍

26 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Always favoured the get pished and see what happens approach on the Wednesday

Yeah this has served me alright in the past too. Although I tend to get too carried away and get back to my tent way too close to sunrise to be functioning Thursday morning. 

Must learn better self control.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Don't assume there's no Wednesday stuff until you get the programme on your way in. 

There were plenty of things in the programme but not online in 2019.

Friends (including the uncle of one wet leg) play Mandala every year multiple times, they've only ever been on the website listing once despite playing every year for decades.  I have every confidence there will still be stuff on the small stages Wednesday.