Late night areas with queues

MickeyJJ

45 minutes ago, Gwish123 said:

Getting over from JP (Jamie T) to the SE corner for Jamie Jones and Solomun is looking like its going to be difficult.

hopefully Calvin Harris draws people away

Jamie Jones is at 230, should have plenty of time to get in and around there for a spot for Saturday night. Pretty sure Jamie t will finish at what 1130- 1145 

8 hours ago, waynewdk said:

Calvin Harris will draw a lot to Arcadia the early hours he is on so that should help

Just a bummer its an hour. If Calvin has 90 minutes that would ensure people stay a bit longer. Plenty of folk might pop in for 20 mins and leave if he doesnt play his mainstream bangers.

9 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Wednesday as well in 2019, just wasn't advertised online.

Hopefully the case this year and can potentially get that out of the way early so not having to try during the weekend itself. Although have no plans during Billie on Friday so might just go to the Downlow when it opens and not worry.

SE corner is always rammed from headliners finishing through to about 1:30 or so. I always prefer to catch some stuff at T&C or somewhere else before heading over to allow the hoardes who seem to walk through at a slow pace before heading to bed to disappear. The only other exception would be NYC Downlow where there is basically no point in trying unless you're getting there before headliners or after 3-ish. Even then I expect to queue for half an hour at least.

The only other option is to get in and spend an hour or so at IICON, it's a huge field and always had plenty of space so I found it a great place to begin the night whilst the other bits emptied out a little.

12 hours ago, Tremas said:

This tactic sadly doesn’t work anymore as in 2019 they had different coloured moustaches for each day. Maybe they’ll change it up again this year too.

Hopefully the re-entry system will be binned off. It's shite.

6 minutes ago, MJP said:

Hopefully the re-entry system will be binned off. It's shite.

I disagree to be honest. I’ve found myself dipping in and out of the downlow with Genosys and Icon most nights in 2019. I’ve queued once and I’m there for the music not to gawp or tick something off my “bucket list”

A lot of the SE corner is a bit touristy - lots of people walking about through the main routes, queuing up for venues then visiting the venue for 5 minutes before heading to the next. So there is a lot of movement and it can appear more busy on the surface than it actually is,  and once you're inside it's not too bad... In my experience anyway

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I disagree to be honest. I’ve found myself dipping in and out of the downlow with Genosys and Icon most nights in 2019. I’ve queued once and I’m there for the music not to gawp or tick something off my “bucket list”

If you're using the moustache for yourself then great, slip in and out as you'd like.

In 2019 people would use a moustache to get in, then pass it through the fence and get a whole group in. That's not the spirit and meant people who genuinely wanted to see a set, not just for a look, were held in a queue.

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Arcadia is the worst for this, if you actually want to dance then good luck finding somewhere

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

What’s it like there on the Thursday? I imagine it’s totally rammed due to having less options elsewhere but I really fancied seeing Leeon on Iicon

Its a shambles every night. Its a tired old area at this stage in need of a complete change.

I might be totally making this up but was there a one-way system introduced in 2019 (or maybe 2017)?

Could just have been security having us on but I distinctly remember being told one of the nights last festival that I wasn't allowed to go 'back' to The Common after I'd been in Shangri-La.

Hoping it was some rogue security guards or they scrapped it because it was a bloody trek walking all the way back round through Block 9!

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Its a shambles every night. Its a tired old area at this stage in need of a complete change.

In what way? Do you mean new structures or a completely different thing. We now have IICON and this time the rave area. IICON certainly has helped and I did not struggle with it last time, being dry helped. But been a mare before

5 minutes ago, the_arsonist said:

I might be totally making this up but was there a one-way system introduced in 2019 (or maybe 2017)?

Could just have been security having us on but I distinctly remember being told one of the nights last festival that I wasn't allowed to go 'back' to The Common after I'd been in Shangri-La.

Hoping it was some rogue security guards or they scrapped it because it was a bloody trek walking all the way back round through Block 9!

The one-way system does indeed mean that you cannot return to the Common once in Shangri-La. It's annoying but it does mean the flow of people is more manageable.

21 minutes ago, The Nal said:

So tired and old it has queues every day? 

25 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

In what way? Do you mean new structures or a completely different thing. We now have IICON and this time the rave area. IICON certainly has helped and I did not struggle with it last time, being dry helped. But been a mare before

Yeah will defo check it out this year. Surprisingly big. 

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

So tired and old it has queues every day? 

Yep. If there are 3 hour queues - its shit. Used to be able to walk into any of these places with no queues. The area is 13 years old now. Same old shite. Rammed, same old music, all the micro/interesting areas gone etc. Basically just somewhere to get mashed now. 

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah will defo check it out this year. Surprisingly big. 

Yep. If there are 3 hour queues - its shit. Used to be able to walk into any of these places with no queues. The area is 13 years old now. Same old shite. Rammed, same old music, all the micro/interesting areas gone etc. Basically just somewhere to get mashed now. 

There's not 3 hour queues because it's shit, sorry.  Over subscribed, yes.  NYC is one of the best queer parties in the country, for 3 days a year. 

I want to be there for Honey Dijon this year, who's never played it before - so same old music doesn't apply either.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stuie said:

There's not 3 hour queues because it's shit, sorry.  Over subscribed, yes.  NYC is one of the best queer parties in the country, for 3 days a year. 

I want to be there for Honey Dijon this year, who's never played it before - so same old music doesn't apply either.

They should make it a bigger venue then! They havent changed it since 2007 which is my point. They've had to close the whole area off before because its been so busy.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

The one-way system does indeed mean that you cannot return to the Common once in Shangri-La. It's annoying but it does mean the flow of people is more manageable.

I was there in 2019 but can’t fully remember how it works. Going with a first-timer this year who’s arriving early Friday evening and was planning on heading there before Overmono to show him around the SE corner. Will we have to loop back around to the entrance if we leave Block 9? If so we’ll probably just stay and explore after Overmono. 

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

They should make it a bigger venue then! They havent changed it since 2007 which is my point. They've had to close the whole area off before because its been so busy.

Well, they might make it bigger this year, but it's kind of meant to be intimate.  Block 9 itself changed immensely in 2019, from 3 venues in a field, to two fields with the 15,000 cap. IICON, which spread the crowds.  We'll have to wait and see what they do this year, but NYCD is now legendary and I can't see it going anywhere in near future. 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Well, they might make it bigger this year, but it's kind of meant to be intimate.  Block 9 itself changed immensely in 2019, from 3 venues in a field, to two fields with the 15,000 cap. IICON, which spread the crowds.  We'll have to wait and see what they do this year, but NYCD is now legendary and I can't see it going anywhere in near future. 

Course, and it shouldn't go anywhere. An institution. But 3 hour queues....were not in the Berghain 

26 minutes ago, Aries said:

I was there in 2019 but can’t fully remember how it works. Going with a first-timer this year who’s arriving early Friday evening and was planning on heading there before Overmono to show him around the SE corner. Will we have to loop back around to the entrance if we leave Block 9? If so we’ll probably just stay and explore after Overmono. 

edited because of inaccuracy

Edited by Hotchilidog

1 hour ago, Hotchilidog said:

I think that's fake news - the exit is along the railway track and before the exit you can move between areas however you want

1 hour ago, foggy1010 said:

Few questions regarding NYC Downlow

Are you able to go in before the first acts start? 20:00 on Thursday and 22:00 the other 3 days.

What are the queues like at these times? thanks

Pretty sure they open the doors at 8pm but you can queue beforehand.

Queues at 10pm might be hit and miss - depends on several factors. Sometimes you can get queues for a couple of hours and in that case it's usually just best to write it off for the night/go later on.

Ultimately, don't try and go for a specific act and if you do, give it a couple of hours time ahead to guarantee entry.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1