Food prices 2022

BluePaul

6 hours ago, Chicken Bob said:

The Steady supply of cocaine I’ll be inhaling should be enough to keep the hunger at bay for most of the weekend. Definitely a good cost cutting exercise 😆👃🏽😳

enjoy your gak.

At The Great Escape I was paying £9 for the dosa's that I normally get at Glastonbury. I was expecting around £8 a pop but I think it will probably be a round a tenner for a meal sized bit of food. I normally get a smoothie for breakfast, one meal and one late night munch, so probably just over £20 a day for food this year

Edited by Hotchilidog

Just now, Hotchilidog said:

At The Great Escape I was paying £9 for the dosa's that I normally get at Glastonbury. I was expecting around £8 a pop but I think it will probably be a round a tenner for a meal sized bit of food. I normally get a smoothie for breakfast, one meal and one late night munch, so probably just over £20 a day for food this year

Where should I be hitting up for a smoothie to make me feel better about my levels excess the day before?

Just now, JoeyT said:

Where should I be hitting up for a smoothie to make me feel better about my levels excess the day before?

There used to a be a really good one in Silver Hayes that really sorted me out in 2015. Not seen it since, but Groovy Smoothie have a few outlets, dotted around the site, definitely one in The Other Stage food area. Very reliable smoothies in my opinion, and a cracking start to the day!

Stupid question for a first timer.

How feasible is to get a meal between 5-10 pounds? I am starting to think about my budget 🙂

Do the festival has some sort of "own money" like others or you can just pay with your card everywhere?

Edited by AlexOvd

16 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

How feasible is to get a meal between 5-10 pounds? I am starting to think about my budget 🙂

Do the festival has some sort of "own money" like others or you can just pay with your card everywhere?

They have had a "food for a fiver" option at several stalls in the past, but sometimes it's not really a meal it's more like a snack.

I'm expecting prices to be higher this year (as they are everywhere) so I wouldn't be surprised by £10+ meals.

Co-op's good for cheaper food - snacks, sandwiches, probably stuff to cook if you bring a stove.

Pay with your own card (or cash), they don't have their own payment system that they force you to use.

25 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

No cash or card is fine. 

Yeah loads of options under a tenner. Hippy Chippy, La Grande Bouffe, No Bones Jones, toasted cheese sambos, tacos, paella, mac 'n' cheese, burritos etc 

8 hours ago, Simsy said:

Co-op's good for cheaper food - snacks, sandwiches, probably stuff to cook if you bring a stove.

Yeah - this is the way to go for anyone on a budget who doesn't want the hassle of cooking (and honestly, why would you).

They'll do their regular in store "Meal Deal" of a sandwich, snack, and drink. In store it's about 4 quid, so probably about 4.50 at the Festival.

11 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

The Hare Krishna tent offer free veggie food as well, small donation optional. Don't think it's anything amazing but perfectly fine if money is tight. 

11 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

Not a stupid question at all...

Firstly here are a couple of other threads with lots of food stall info...

Lastly, this one is particularly about cheap food and mentions the co-op, but also mentions the bakery need Kidz Field, which is a great place for cheap grub and not that far from the Pyramid, Left Field etc...

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 11:42 PM, wozwebs said:

Daughter said food prices at Big Weekend were horrendous. She only had a tray of chips all day and a hot chocolate when she got cold. Told her should have eaten more but said queues were massive and so many bands to watch didn’t have chance. 

yep, it was silly this year, didn't eat at all on site over both days - especially with chips at most vendors costing over a fiver... not really worth it at all

The cost of doing business for these people has gone up significantly. I personally don't care. Glastonbury is a total splurge for me, it's only 5 days, it doesn't matter to me how much money I spend at it and at the end of the day there's only so much money you can spend on food and drink in the course of 5 days.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:42 AM, AlexOvd said:

Glastonbury takes GBP. Michael thinks those schemes where you use "festival dollars" are a rip off designed to get people to forget to get refunds.  So he won't have them at his festival.

I came back on here to post about this. I was also at BT and shocked at the prices, it got to a point where I refused to pay their prices that I started feeling faint, and I am on a decent wage.

The only place that I ate at was the Goan Fish still doing a curry for a tenner and the English Indian place who did a plate of fries with a decent curry sauce and coleslaw for 6 notes.

Personally, I really enjoy the food at Glastonbury - part of the festival for me. I tend to choose places that look really delicious - as a veggie, it can be really exciting to see good vegan food at festivals. I would pay £10 for a meal in a restaurant so I'm happy to pay it at a festival for food that I enjoy. 

That being said, I tend to take snacks and breakfast goodies as I don't see the point in paying for breakfast when it's easy enough to take and store crossiants/cereal bars/porridge tubs and they are all pretty good options whilst at the tent. 

Until recently I owned a catering/hospitality business, unfortunately we had to close our doors earlier this year due in the most part to the rapidly escalating costs.

To give an idea, one ingredient we used to buy for £14.99 at the end of last year. By the time we closed this had increased to £24.99. The week after we closed I received a “promo” flyer advertising it at £29.99, then £34.99, now it’s hit £40.

Had we been able to continue trading, we’d have had to have doubled our prices and then some.

Yes it seemed steep at BT, but these prices have 3 years of roses and 3 years of lost earnings factored into them. 

If a trader being able to feed their family and our their staff means I’ve got to pay a tenner for a meal, even fifteen quid, then it is what it is. I’d rather that than see them go under as we did, see them skip meals themselves, see their staff lose out.

Yep it’s shit, and yes I’ll make adjustments elsewhere to be able to afford to do it, but it is what it is. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, theciderviking said:

Until recently I owned a catering/hospitality business, unfortunately we had to close our doors earlier this year due in the most part to the rapidly escalating costs.

To give an idea, one ingredient we used to buy for £14.99 at the end of last year. By the time we closed this had increased to £24.99. The week after we closed I received a “promo” flyer advertising it at £29.99, then £34.99, now it’s hit £40.

Had we been able to continue trading, we’d have had to have doubled our prices and then some.

Yes it seemed steep at BT, but these prices have 3 years of roses and 3 years of lost earnings factored into them. 

If a trader being able to feed their family and our their staff means I’ve got to pay a tenner for a meal, even fifteen quid, then it is what it is. I’d rather that than see them go under as we did, see them skip meals themselves, see their staff lose out.

Yep it’s shit, and yes I’ll make adjustments elsewhere to be able to afford to do it, but it is what it is. 

Spot on, yet some posting that it's a rip off will happily pay £6 for a crappy McD's or a plate of deep fried shite from Spoons for £9.

Traders have massively increased costs this year as we all do, prepare yourself if you think you will get decent food for under £10 at any festival this year and beyond. 

We got a Sri Lankan Black Pork Curry at BT for £9.50, it was huge, delicious and as good as the ones we had whilst spending 3 months in Sri Lanka the past winter... not bad for in a field and would have paid more tbh

Edited by Paul ™

4 hours ago, theciderviking said:

Sorry to hear that buddy, I run a country pub and can echo exactly what you're saying.

A couple of examples I like to give people, and perhaps you'll have had a similar experience... for years and years, good sized chicken breasts have been costed in at around £1 each (probably going from something like 95p to £1.05 in well over ten years.) In the last 2 years they've jumped to 1.20 then to 1.30 and are now around 1.55 each!

Decent catering blocks of Mature Cheddar, £4-£4.50 per KG before covid... Now £6-7 per KG

Butter is absolutely ridiculous, be more expensive than gold soon.

Obviously the price hikes for ingredients are across the board, with considerable increases on all meats, dairy and fresh veg. But prices often fluctuate on many ingredients, the above examples are so shocking because over the last 10 years their prices have been reasonably stable, with only very subtle hikes in line with inflation. But now suddenly we're paying in excess of 50% more for them. 

It's the same for beer. We traditionally get 2 'brewery price hikes' per year, regardless of what the gov do with tax. Usually means the price of a pint goes up around 10-20p per year over both increases. Last October we had price hikes from the breweries of 20-30p then this Feb / March we were hit again with more huge price hikes, meaning we had to put some pints up by 50p per pint. I've never seen a price rise of more than 20p per pint in one go in over 20 years, never mind 50p per pint! And historically the bigger price increases were down to the gov raising taxes, not this time, they actually reduced beer duty!!! This is just brewery price increases. (presumably because of their own spiralling costs.)

The real kick in the teeth is when I go to Krakow, and buy a pint of beer over the bar, that's been brewed in the UK, cheaper than I can buy it wholesale in the UK!

Brexit, 'Rona, Ukraine and incompetent leadership... The perfect storm... Brace yourselves, it's going to be a tough few years. 

I too will be supporting the small traders, some of whom have paid a 5 figure sum (if what I read is true) just to stand there. I'll use them as much as I can afford to, and if I need to be careful with money then I'll use Co-op. But one thing I won't be doing is moaning about the prices. The traders will want to make as many sales as they possibly can do, so they will have priced their food at a price that is as competitive as possible without giving it away and working for free. Buy it for what it's worth, or don't buy it, we have the choice. 

(Sorry, got a bit carried away there with that rant didn't I? 😕)

On 6/2/2022 at 10:06 AM, Simsy said:

They have had a "food for a fiver" option at several stalls in the past, but sometimes it's not really a meal it's more like a snack.

I'm expecting prices to be higher this year (as they are everywhere) so I wouldn't be surprised by £10+ meals.

Pay with your own card (or cash), they don't have their own payment system that they force you to use.

EEEA9968-4FBA-43E0-B6D0-8F7F45DE2B93.jpeg

Yes prices will be a lot more expensive but I really hope people don’t take it out on the traders. They are all just trying to make a living. If you are angry about it don’t vote Tory at the next election. Brexit is a major cause of the ingredient price hike even more than other factors. My husband has just got back from Barcelona where he went out to a local restaurant for lunch one day and managed to get a steak, chips and a coke for 10 Euros. I have spoken to people who own businesses over here and they echo what people have said above. One café owner told me in the last 12 months his costs have gone up 60% and there’s no way he feels he could put up his prices by that much.