Food prices 2022

BluePaul

Just back from a great few days at Bearded Theory which was a great starter before the main course to come, but oh my, the food prices!

I totally get it's been a crap couple of years for all the food vendors who have every right to charge what they need to earn a decent crust, but it feels a bit like a tipping point might have been reached for many.

At BT, the price for a 'standard' meal was typically £10 or £12 - and up to £14 for some premium offerings.

Is this sustainable or will it push loads of people into bringing their own or getting a meal deal from the Co-op?

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

What were the bar prices like?

Bar prices were fine - cooking pints £4.50, stronger APVs £5.50 upwards.  Felt very reasonable to me, but BT is I think generally known to be cheaper than other festivals.

1 minute ago, BluePaul said:

Just back from a great few days at Bearded Theory which was a great starter before the main course to come, but oh my, the food prices!

I totally get it's been a crap couple of years for all the food vendors who have every right to charge what they need to earn a decent crust, but it feels a bit like a tipping point might have been reached for many.

At BT, the price for a 'standard' meal was typically £10 or £12 - and up to £14 for some premium offerings.

Is this sustainable or will it push loads of people into bringing their own or getting a meal deal from the Co-op?

Was visiting my sister the other week and talking to the owner of her local cafe and he basically said his costs have gone up 60%. Fuel prices for themselves firstly but then every provider of every ingredient will go up for the same reason. Anything that has to be imported costs more to make up for the heavy paperwork etc so I fully expected this and yes I think it will have an impact for a lot of people. I might bring some extra snacks so it's only main meals that I buy. 

Thats what happens when you have a bastard Tory government who forces inflation to nearly 10%.  But yes, a lot more people will opt for cheaper options.  Glastonbury always ran the "meal deal" scheme, I can't remember its proper name, but I'm sure something similar will be in place again this year. 

4 minutes ago, bexj said:

Thats what happens when you have a bastard Tory government who forces inflation to nearly 10%.  But yes, a lot more people will opt for cheaper options.  Glastonbury always ran the "meal deal" scheme, I can't remember its proper name, but I'm sure something similar will be in place again this year. 

They will be running the Food for a Fiver scheme again this year. I was a little down hearted last as not many traders seemed not to be advertising they were part of the scheme, at least from us looking around. I guess I could have asked at stalls but I felt awkward.

10 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

I don't disagree with you on the pricing observation but would add that some of the portions were huge for a tenner.  My other half got something on the Friday and i had the remains and it was enough for me also.  We ended up doing that each day splitting a meal between us.  I had one drunken purchase from the Fire Truck Smoker but apart from that ( and having breakfast at the van as good prep) it dint dent the wallet too much.  No more than the clothes shopping and my dog tail (Always wanted one) 🙂

I came home with plenty of cash still and did not refrain from spending as and when the need arose (basically boozing)

18 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

Yep same at Radio 1 Big Weekend

Maybe I am out of touch but £10+ for very very average food is getting hard to reconcile - can see myself just bringing a lot more food than usual 

2 hours ago, BluePaul said:

We spotted that breakfast was £5 minimum, standard meals started at £10, we spent quite bit more than we expected. But then made some basic mistakes like not drinking enough soft drinks.

Prices are set by the festival?

They provide the vendor with a minimum price they can charge which is why the price can vary from festival to festival even though it is the same food. For example my friend owns a Pizza business and works festivals and at Splendour the price was £5, and at Leeds the minimum was set at £7. 

This is to make sure no one under cuts anyone else and the amount the vendor is charged by the festival is based on this price too.

8 hours ago, BluePaul said:

Was that not the standard price for things before? I'm sure I remember most stir frys, and the fancy burgers/burritos being about that in 2019?

30 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Was that not the standard price for things before? I'm sure I remember most stir frys, and the fancy burgers/burritos being about that in 2019?

No don’t think so - in my head it was £8 or £8.50 in 2019?

9 hours ago, BluePaul said:

Just been on the Festaff crew at NBHD. Same sort of food prices and 6quid plus a pint, 2.50 for a can of pop.

Vendors had been given a minimum cost to charge. Needless to say the clown asking a fiver for a coffee wasn’t exactly rushed off his feet.

One told me that at Parklife they have to buy slabs of drinks off the festival first.

Dig deep peasants…

Edited by Flysheet

11 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

Prices are set by the festival?

No. Vendors have full control over what they charge. But obviously they are being charged a fee by the festival. BT was a few grand 4 years ago. Glasto is £6k+. Then there’s gas and electric on top., plus the cost of the food and of course staff wages. If they get put in a poor area then they’re fucked. It’s all a massive gamble for those traders. Some they make money and some they don’t. 

Edited by Chicken Bob
Missed word

2 hours ago, Chicken Bob said:

The Steady supply of cocaine I’ll be inhaling should be enough to keep the hunger at bay for most of the weekend. Definitely a good cost cutting exercise 😆👃🏽😳

Unless you have monstrous appetite normally, or the worlds greatest dealer, you may find that is a false economy on the overall cost cutting front Bob lol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1