Campfires

GoonerRob

Morning all, 

So usually we would pick some some firewood from the stall by the other stage for a fire back at our camp (nothing quite like getting back from a long day / night of partying and chilling in front of a nice fire with a few joints). However in 2019 the stall wasn't there, and we couldn't find any of the free firewood either. Does anyone know if this is by design? Are the festival not allowing camp fires anymore?

We will happily bring our own firewood if needed but would rather buy on site for ease of transport. 

Anyone have any insights? 

Thanks

34 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

Morning all, 

So usually we would pick some some firewood from the stall by the other stage for a fire back at our camp (nothing quite like getting back from a long day / night of partying and chilling in front of a nice fire with a few joints). However in 2019 the stall wasn't there, and we couldn't find any of the free firewood either. Does anyone know if this is by design? Are the festival not allowing camp fires anymore?

We will happily bring our own firewood if needed but would rather buy on site for ease of transport. 

Thanks

I would imagine with camping space at a premium this has been slowly phased out … however this year might be interesting as they might have quite a bit of surplus wood from the Dutch elm disease that has hit the farm … 

I’m pretty sure that one of the perks of buying a ticket as listed on the website is ‘free firewood’ so clearly this is still OK. Whether there is enough to go round is another matter. I cannot see them shipping any in if there’s a shortfall.

11 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I’m pretty sure that one of the perks of buying a ticket as listed on the website is ‘free firewood’ so clearly this is still OK. Whether there is enough to go round is another matter. I cannot see them shipping any in if there’s a shortfall.

Your right, it's on the ticket information page

IMG_20220529_124501.jpg

Did it my first year and then realised you just end up missing the entertainment in the early hours being sat at camp. I'm sure there was a designated camp fire area in my camping field 2019 so maybe they would rather than that people outside their own tents.

11 hours ago, GoonerRob said:

Morning all, 

Thanks

Back in the day there used to be masses of free firewood and campfires everywhere. The wood still gets delivered pre festival and is usually the bark covered offcuts, eight feet long from local sawmills. They are grabbed by crew and used for building stuff. In recent years there never seems to be enough so it tends to disappear before ticket holders arrive. A bit of a shame as I used to love the fires and sight and smell of woodsmoke gently drifting across the site, especially just predawn. 

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Back in the day there used to be masses of free firewood and campfires everywhere. The wood still gets delivered pre festival and is usually the bark covered offcuts, eight feet long from local sawmills. They are grabbed by crew and used for building stuff. In recent years there never seems to be enough so it tends to disappear before ticket holders arrive. A bit of a shame as I used to love the fires and sight and smell of woodsmoke gently drifting across the site, especially just predawn. 

Same here, it really adds to the atmosphere for me... i wonder if the firewood stall will be back this year. 
Are you selling your Swedish torches again this year @Sawdusty surfer?

I’ve been wondering about fires. Glad to hear they’re still allowed. 20 years ago it was a massive pile of wood somewhere by the railway track. Had to devise some kind of stretcher device and drag/carry it half way across the site (even more fun in mud) to the big ground or whatever it’s called above pyramid. 
Do you reckon they’ll let you bring your own wood? I’ve got loads and was thinking of putting it in the van  

See sawdusty 

He might be a doing his fire logs... Alot safer 

Fuck we used to have right old fires going with everything you could grab to burn but not nowadays.... I remember in 97 we kept a fire going all weekend.. And if you were there you'd know that WAS FUCKING SOMETHING..... 

• 3 weeks later...