R1 Big Weekend

JoeyT

3 hours ago, Jack.194 said:

I won’t take the Yungblud slander.

Tom Grennan and Sam Fender were easily the best I saw yesterday, Yungblud was also good (although admittedly not as good as I’ve seen him before).

Fontaines we’re incredibly disappointing, it’s the first time I’ve seen them and was really excited but they just didn’t live up to the hype for me at all. I’m hoping it was down to the crowd and general atmosphere and that they’ll be better at Glasto/Reading.

Also saw Aitch and he surprised me in a good way, really enjoyed him even though it’s not my sort of thing usually.

I've never seen Fontaines though going to watch them three times this summer.

I think the crowd will appreciate them more at the festivals you have mentioned.

I'm hoping they are in the John Peel tent as think they would be better on smaller stage? 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

I've never seen Fontaines though going to watch them three times this summer.

I think the crowd will appreciate them more at the festivals you have mentioned.

I'm hoping they are in the John Peel tent as think they would be better on smaller stage? 

I agree! Fingers crossed

6 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Am I the only one who can’t find Sam Fender’s set on iPlayer? Seems to be literally the only one not on there from the weekend! 

They didn’t upload the full set I’ve noticed. He also was a bit low during his performance, wonder if he has asked for it not to be uploaded?

10 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Can’t even find part of the set! 

I think a friend of his band passed yesterday - from what his fans have managed to pull together. He was visibly low during the set.

Edited by Matt42

Took my daughter and her mate and they absolute loved it. Had to pick them up so got there about 8pm to see if I could blag my way in but no joy. Hundreds were leaving then, a lot to go and watch the football. Stood by fence next to Future Sounds stage so heard part of Tom Grennan and then all of Sam Fender who was great. Will definitely be superb at Glasto. Calvin Harris looked good and still a huge crowd for him. Spider will be rammed. My view from outside. 

213E10BC-D704-470B-BC87-81D9A0E48233.jpeg

17 hours ago, kaytee... said:

Surely he needs a set on other too, a set similar to big weekend one and Arcadia for his love regenerator style stuff

I don’t think they’ll pay for him twice! 

Really rated Harry Styles from what I watched last night. 

I'd not seen anything from Coachella other than the Shania appearance, but the reviews suggested he didn't set the world on fire (from what I remember). Despite that, it looks to me like he's really stepping into that big-festival-headliner-showman-type role really nicely.

Love the new album so very much hoping he shows up at Glastonbury this year...

Edited by LinvoyPrimus
  • Upvote 1

I think it is very unlikely he appears this year, i can see him angling at a headliner/ sub slot next year due to the fanfare from his new album , coupled with his coachella / R1 headliner slots.

although i would be very happy to eat humble pie, as i think he would be perfect at this years festival and would be a definite must see for me. 

He'd smash a headline set, no doubt about it. 

Can't see a secret set happening this year though unless it's unannounced on the Pyramid, just for safety reasons. I know the Killers was rammed on the JP but I think it would be a lot worse for Harry

Cracking day out. Wet Leg and Becky Hill were great, Mabel looked bored (as did most of the crowd) and as someone with previously zero interest in Harry Styles I thought he was ace- really entertaining showman. Only minor gripe was the super weird location of the dance stage- next to the main walkway which meant it had basically zero atmosphere as people shuffled past.

• Upvote 1

Brilliant day. Rina was the highlight which only makes it more mystifying why Glastonbury haven’t booked her. Hopefully she’s lined up for a big slot next year when her second album will be out. Also Griff - would be all over seeing her again on JP if I had a ticket. And Joy Crookes will kill it early afternoon on the Pyramid. 

We went on the Saturday and we were pleasantly surprised. In all honesty thought it was going to be shite, must have been my festival snobbery at play. 

Calvin Harris smashed it, and saw some other great stuff throughout the day.

Only downside: Bar, food and toilet queues were ridiculous, worst I’ve ever seen at any festival, and all the urinals were all overflowing by 5pm. Ladies queue was half an hour at most points. Looks like they underbooked. 

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

She was great on The Other stage whenever that was, 2019?

I enjoyed that, especially the last 15 minutes. But it was more down to the volley of world class tunes she’s got in the locker (Never Mind being severely underrated IMO) than the actual performance if you see what I mean.

Went yesterday and the highlight was absolutely Rina Sawayama, such a shame she won't be at Glastonbury. Great atmosphere in the tent and her stage presense was insane.

Managed to catch a real mix of acts - Holly Humberstone was surprisingly great so will be trying to catch her again if there's no obvious clash. Sadly Lorde just couldn't seem to win over the crowd, so not sure how she'll do at Glasto - although the older tracks from her first two albums had a great crowd response, the new tracks from Solar Power went down like a lead ballon.

In terms of other non-glasto acts, Crawlers on the BBC introducing stage were another favourite, some great songs and really fun to watch them dramatically stalk around the stage. George Ezra seemed to suffer from the crowd just not being awake enough at twelve in the morning. Harry was great if a bit predictable - the crowd loved him so wouldn't be all at surprised to see him at Glastonbury next year as the headline pop act of the weekend.

Edited by LivOctober
Incorrect information

Welcome @LivOctober 👋

The slower pace of Lorde's new album definitely isn't what most people are looking for in the evening. I really rated her Glastonbury 2017 performance, was staged really well and high energy. The current set is very driving to the beach.