R1 Big Weekend

JoeyT

54 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I know it's been said before, but I can't believe they have Calvin Harris playing on the spider. 

It'll be outrageously busy

Surely he needs a set on other too, a set similar to big weekend one and Arcadia for his love regenerator style stuff

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Turned it on after the Champions league final.. saw a bloke who was on Geordie Shore about 10 years ago (student tv at the time) playing some dog awful song, with a bloke struggling to hold a note.

Time for a paracetamol and bed.

As if it couldn’t get any more depressing… Wont be far behind you.

I won’t take the Yungblud slander.

Tom Grennan and Sam Fender were easily the best I saw yesterday, Yungblud was also good (although admittedly not as good as I’ve seen him before).

Fontaines we’re incredibly disappointing, it’s the first time I’ve seen them and was really excited but they just didn’t live up to the hype for me at all. I’m hoping it was down to the crowd and general atmosphere and that they’ll be better at Glasto/Reading.

Also saw Aitch and he surprised me in a good way, really enjoyed him even though it’s not my sort of thing usually.

11 hours ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Turned it on after the Champions league final.. saw a bloke who was on Geordie Shore about 10 years ago (student tv at the time) playing some dog awful song, with a bloke struggling to hold a note.

Time for a paracetamol and bed.

Was this Joel Corry and MNEK? I was surprised as well how bad he (MNEK) was, seen him live before and was much better.

23 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I’m probably getting old but yeah the lineup is quite poor, now Charli is gone the only acts I’d be interested in seeing are Harry, Lorde, Sam, Holly H, Rina, Wet Leg who I will likely see at glasto. 

Still will tune in as I guess it’s good to see fezzies on the TV again.

I'm loving that you said the lineup was poor and then list 6 acts you'd want to see. 🤣

34 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm loving that you said the lineup was poor and then list 6 acts you'd want to see. 🤣

Despite having people I’d see, most of them I’m probably going to catch at glasto next month so it does look less exciting.

The big weekend of old would pull in some massive names that Glastonbury wouldn’t have.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Like Harry Styles.

Oh wait…

It's more people wanting to see what's not just new trending on tiktok or whatever.

Harry Styles is fucking dreadful. Yes he's big but there is plenty of acts that ask extortionate money that many on here wouldn't look at.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Was this Joel Corry and MNEK? I was surprised as well how bad he (MNEK) was, seen him live before and was much better.

Yeh, Joel Corry. The chap in the blue suit who kept taking his ear piece out was the one giving me a headache. Must’ve been an off day, it was awful haha

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Like Harry Styles.

Oh wait…

Hush you 😛 

There’s quite a lot of love island pop on there, which you can see anywhere. In the past big weekend lineups would look ridiculous on paper.

Obviously they achieve this by doing 30 min sets for people like Taylor Swift, but still. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

Hush you 😛 

There’s quite a lot of love island pop on there, which you can see anywhere. In the past big weekend lineups would look ridiculous on paper.

Obviously they achieve this by doing 30 min sets for people like Taylor Swift, but still. 

Are Glastonbury booking bigger pop acts so there's more cross over or is this the effect of government cutting the BBC?

A few minutes of listening and skipping through songs and he’s quite anthemic I suppose. It’s a bit too radio-friendly pop for me though. Particularly the voice and production. 

This is only 10 minutes walk from my house. It’s been great for the area to have it here but not enough to get my attention to go. If Foals, Fontaines and Wet Leg had all been on the same day I’d have got a ticket. 

Edited by Chip Batch

36 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Are Glastonbury booking bigger pop acts so there's more cross over or is this the effect of government cutting the BBC?

I just think the big pop/mainstream acts want to do Glasto as their UK festival. That’s what I think it is really. Obviously R1/BBC can scoop up some, but it feels like Glasto is the one that the big contemporary touring acts are building their schedule around. 

Glasto getting Olivia on a worldwide exclusive (pretty much) is crazy. I thought R1 would snap her up easily. 

13 hours ago, nikkic said:

Yeah Fender was ace. Really looking forward to seeing him.

Sigrid was boring.

Saw 20 mins of Calvin Harris and juts confirmed I’ll be no where near the spider when he’s on. 

I really like Sigrid but she’s not a great live performer. Looks a bit uncomfortable.

45 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

I don’t get the Sam Fender love. I’ve only heard a couple of songs, but it just seems like quite bland guitar pop to me. 

He’s alright. A slightly watered down Springsteen/War on Drugs/Killers/heartland rock pastiche I suppose. Doesn’t do a whole lot for me, but I enjoy the occasional song and he seems like a nice guy so good to see him doing as well as he is, even if I’m not interested in seeing him myself. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Watching George Ezra… seems a bit muted. I hope the chat of him being a future headliner has faded.

Definitely. New album isn’t out yet so maybe it’ll end up making waves on release, but thus far his ‘return’ seems pretty muted and nonexistent. Just don’t see him as a viable headliner at all - more likely to stick with headlining the slighter smaller ones and possibly return to sub Glastonbury again. 

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

I’d expect R1BW will have been hit by far fewer American acts being available this year. 

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Definitely. New album isn’t out yet so maybe it’ll end up making waves on release, but thus far his ‘return’ seems pretty muted and nonexistent. Just don’t see him as a viable headliner at all - more likely to stick with headlining the slighter smaller ones and possibly return to sub Glastonbury again. 

He has a few big tunes but I feel like the momentum isn’t there. With Sam there is a clear upwards trajectory and he seems destined to headline R&L or something soon. Georgie is a big act, but doesn’t feel like a headliner or nothing arrangement. 

43 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

He’s alright. A slightly watered down Springsteen/War on Drugs/Killers/heartland rock pastiche I suppose. Doesn’t do a whole lot for me, but I enjoy the occasional song and he seems like a nice guy so good to see him doing as well as he is, even if I’m not interested in seeing him myself. 

I’m glad some other people think this I thought it was just me, he’s not bad but it’s just a bit meh, don’t understand how he has got so big. I assume I’ll see him at Glasto as all my mates want to go so I’m willing to be won over but I watched some of his Reading set last year on tv and it didn’t do much for me

5 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I’d expect R1BW will have been hit by far fewer American acts being available this year. 

I’m shocked that out of all of these US acts (who are active) none were snapped up -  Billie, Doja, Megan, Olivia, Lady Gaga, The Weeknd, Lizzo, Jack Harlow, Post Malone, Shawn Mendes etc.

Heck even MCR are around right now. Didn’t get them.

Just feels like they played it safe and went for mostly UK bookings. I know Harry/Ed is an easy pass for the ‘big pop name’ but I feel like there could have been some more scattered along the lineup.