R1 Big Weekend

JoeyT

First slice of televised festival action this summer starts today at 7pm with main stages kicking off tomorrow.

Info on where / how to watch or listen here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5m4qNwHcrmDtMklhJzNNhFP/how-to-catch-all-of-the-action-at-radio-1s-big-weekend-2022

With a bit of crossover in terms of artists also appearing at Glastonbury, any standouts on the lineup that you lovely folk will be watching?

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

Interested to see what Calvin Harris like tomorrow ahead of seeing him at Arcadia!

Still can't believe Arcadia have him playing as Calvin Harris rather than his other alias!

Huge booking, it'll be absolutely rammed in the field whenever he plays.

Managed to get tickets for my daughter and her mate so I'm dropping them off there tomorrow morning. They are dead excited, both 16 and their first 'festival' without any parents. I was the same age when I did the same at Reading 1993, still remember it fondly to this day. Told her to watch Fontaines DC but said no chance. She'll be watching Sam Fender though.

2 hours ago, wozwebs said:

Managed to get tickets for my daughter and her mate so I'm dropping them off there tomorrow morning. They are dead excited, both 16 and their first 'festival' without any parents. I was the same age when I did the same at Reading 1993, still remember it fondly to this day. Told her to watch Fontaines DC but said no chance. She'll be watching Sam Fender though.

They’ll love it I’m sure!

I went back in 2012 when it was in Hackney. It was more of a thing for my Wife than me but a great day nonetheless given the tickets were free!

Was there last night and have tickets for Sunday, going to knock Lorde and Foals off my list in case I have clashes at Glasto.

It was so good to be in a festival environment again. Hyped me up for one month's time!

I know it tends to cater more to teens/early 20s but we went in 2019 and I have to say they do it really well. Only disappointment was Taylor Swift only did about 3 or 4 songs. 

It was my wifes first ever festival, she commented that it was a pain having clashes on the 2 stages. Imagine her shock when I sat her down in front of the Glastonbury Clashfinder 😄 

I'll probably watch it on the laptop this afternoon with some garden beers.

Edited by DareToDibble

6 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Not a right lot on there for me. I’ll probably watch a few sets on the iplayer to see what all the fuss is about with certain acts. Hope everyone who’s going enjoys it, that’s the main thing.

I’m probably getting old but yeah the lineup is quite poor, now Charli is gone the only acts I’d be interested in seeing are Harry, Lorde, Sam, Holly H, Rina, Wet Leg who I will likely see at glasto. 

Still will tune in as I guess it’s good to see fezzies on the TV again.

Edited by Matt42

watching the stream.

Yungblud was actually fucking dreadful.

Enjoyed Sigrid

Sam Fender by far highlight of the day.

Tomorrows lineup looks better - would have been better if Charli was there.

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I know it's been said before, but I can't believe they have Calvin Harris playing on the spider. 

It'll be outrageously busy

Even if he is playing at the same time as Paul McCartney, you would expect it to be busy given we are not expecting a major dance act to be playing on the Other Stage. I think he would have got a big crowd if he has been booked to play that stage?

4 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I know it's been said before, but I can't believe they have Calvin Harris playing on the spider. 

It'll be outrageously busy

I was just thinking this too, I'm watching him now on iPlayer.

I know it'll be a different set but I still don't know how to picture it going. I think it might be a bit of a confused crowd/confusing vibe, part of the crowd more used to Arcadia and the SEC's usual stuff, and half going up there expecting pop dance bangers, but potentially not getting them? Or at least only getting a few/some VIP mixes of them to make them harder or easier to mix in/out of more banging stuff? 

Who knows!

7 minutes ago, offmytrolley said:

I was just thinking this too, I'm watching him now on iPlayer.

I know it'll be a different set but I still don't know how to picture it going. I think it might be a bit of a confused crowd/confusing vibe, part of the crowd more used to Arcadia and the SEC's usual stuff, and half going up there expecting pop dance bangers, but potentially not getting them? Or at least only getting a few/some VIP mixes of them to make them harder or easier to mix in/out of more banging stuff? 

Who knows!

Eh, you’re probably overthinking it. Once he gets going and the vibe is more or less laid down the people who aren’t in to it will go elsewhere and the majority will be loving it. Doubt there’s gonna be many people standing around nonplussed and wondering why he isn’t just playing all his own commercial stuff or anything like that.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Eh, you’re probably overthinking it. Once he gets going and the vibe is more or less laid down the people who aren’t in to it will go elsewhere and the majority will be loving it. Doubt there’s gonna be many people standing around nonplussed and wondering why he isn’t just playing all his own commercial stuff or anything like that.

Yeah, I think you're right about me overthinking it. The fact he's not on one of the main stages will be a clue as to what the vibe's going to be, and anyone who doesn't pick up on that and goes to Arcadia but isn't into it will wander off.

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It will be absolutely heaving though regardless of what time he’s on. I reckon headliner time seems the most sensible bet to avoid it getting too insane. 

Poor Megz if it’s a clash between Macca, her and Calvin.

Really think Calvin should be on other. His crowd will be huge.