Official Block 9 2022

Suprefan

I think the tribute to the early free party scene will be great. It makes sense to have something similar to that time to create the vibe. They certainly didn’t have wrap around visuals at Castlemorton!

Surprised Stanton Warriors aren’t on the lineup as they actually skipped school to DJ Castlemorton apparently. Maybe there are other names on there that DJ’d there too which I don’t recognise?

Oh what a shame! But if there's anyone I trust to pull something out of the bag it's Block9. Maybe explains why there's a bit less of the heavier side of stuff on this year's line up as they're catering the Genosys line up to the new stage. Was surprised to see SASS (Moxie, Saoirse, Peach & Shanti Celeste) were on Genosys when it was posted the other day for example but maybe that makes more sense with what they've got planned for this year. Whatever happens I'm sure it'll be great. OK Williams playing Genosys too which will be amazing too I'm sure. And still got the San Remo line up to come too...

13 minutes ago, offmytrolley said:

Ah this is a shame, I've never seen the real Genosys so was looking forward to it! Next year, I guess!

Is this the biggest or at least most obvious Covid funding casualty we've seen so far?

I think we've just assumed that it's a funding issue.  It could just be to do things differently.  There's a placeholder on the map where LU used to be, and a placeholder on the map where Genosys used to be, along with NYC and IICON, so we'll just have to wait and see!

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I think we've just assumed that it's a funding issue.  It could just be to do things differently.  There's a placeholder on the map where LU used to be, and a placeholder on the map where Genosys used to be, along with NYC and IICON, so we'll just have to wait and see!

The fact that Genosys will be back next year suggests funding issue to me. Greedily as Block9 is easily my favourite area on the site I'm hoping the soundsystem bus will be a huge success and they find a way to bring Genosys back and keep the bus next year. 

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

True!

This is a odd year, I'm half thinking that everything is going to be over the top and totally extra as it's the delayed anniversary and everyone is going to be so hyped to back, and I'm half expecting it to be a bit of a leaner production as it's not like the arts or events industry has had a good time recently, everyones' laser budgets must be at least little bit depleted…

Ultimately I don't think it'll matter a bit though, as we're all going to be delighted to be there!

Edited by offmytrolley

31 minutes ago, t0paz said:

I think the tribute to the early free party scene will be great. It makes sense to have something similar to that time to create the vibe. They certainly didn’t have wrap around visuals at Castlemorton!

Surprised Stanton Warriors aren’t on the lineup as they actually skipped school to DJ Castlemorton apparently. Maybe there are other names on there that DJ’d there too which I don’t recognise?

Grace (Aka) DIGS is an original member of DIY now a ressie in NYC Downlow

Loving the respect from Block 9 to the original free traveller party movement, anyone interested should defo read this book, loads about Glastonbury in it  Dreaming In Yellow: The Story of the DiY Sound System (velocitypress.uk)

• Upvote 3

i started going to free / squat parties in '93 i think (not entirely sure but i know i just missed Castlemorton).

it was a BIG regret of mine for a long long time that i missed it - but in truth, and now in middle age, it was probably for the best... i cant imagine how much MORE i would have fried my brain if i'd have been there... 

i remember reading an interview once with one attendee who said something like "i know some people who went to Castlemorton and never really came back"... the amount if shit i used to do back then i think i may have ended up in that category.

so, with that in mind, i'm excited to see what they do with this!

i'm also really excited about the carnival thing - if Aba Shanti-I is there i shall be one very happy chap indeed.

2 hours ago, vigo said:

The fact that Genosys will be back next year suggests funding issue to me. Greedily as Block9 is easily my favourite area on the site I'm hoping the soundsystem bus will be a huge success and they find a way to bring Genosys back and keep the bus next year. 

2 hours ago, offmytrolley said:

True!

This is a odd year, I'm half thinking that everything is going to be over the top and totally extra as it's the delayed anniversary and everyone is going to be so hyped to back, and I'm half expecting it to be a bit of a leaner production as it's not like the arts or events industry has had a good time recently, everyones' laser budgets must be at least little bit depleted…

Ultimately I don't think it'll matter a bit though, as we're all going to be delighted to be there!

I think the Notting Hill involvement is just for this year and that’s coming from Block 9’s field budget. Hence the one year only departure.

8 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Yup, same! 

It's become my go-to location if I'm not sure where I should be early hours so would be devastated to see it gone. 

Same, glad it will be back in future. Struggling to see how a bus can be as visually imposing - Genosys and NYCD made Block 9 West a real enclosed space with a clear identity so I hope it doesn’t lost that because there’s just a bus in front of some trees. I’ll go in open minded though! 

8 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I love my bag. I can leave camp at 10.30am, return at 7am the next morning and have everything in it I need, and it doesn't impair my dancing or knock into anyone on the dance floors.

I'm looking at you, backpackers!

Ben

I have never, never, never knowingly knocked someone with my backpack. I like to think I’m a considerate backpacker…! 

7 hours ago, tigger123 said:

Bad news I’m afraid guys

268B923C-068E-40E8-9892-4D00A04B68CD.jpeg

image.gif.c7d0378ee04ed243f1ca5b4c920dcef5.gif

39 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Bit of Castlemorton style vibes very very welcome. DIY/Spiral Tribe stuff could be a lot of fun for middle aged me. 

And me, spent many years going to free parties, loved DIY… Smokescreen are playing somewhere too (Shangri La I think?)

• Upvote 1

On 5/27/2022 at 9:36 AM, FrancisH said:

So last time I went I was gutted to miss some acts I really wanted to see because I was queuing - If one wanted to see Hot Chip for example what do we reckon is the acceptable arrival time to actually get in? one hour before?

Choose a night to go and get to the Downlow when it opens (10pm?). You’ll be good to leave and re-enter for the rest of the night from then. Just don’t tell anyone.

Also Floorplan will be a movie.

• Thanks 1