San Remo

payneruk

8 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Honestly how does anyone write this shit with a straight face. It’s gonna be the same with a slightly different design and cocktail menu

Tacos and mescal with a side serving of pretentiousness.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, Barneym said:

Honestly how does anyone write this shit with a straight face. It’s gonna be the same with a slightly different design and cocktail menu

I know, it's basically a marquee with a bar. Reading that makes me not want to go near the place.

Every middle class commentator/critic/book c**t who's read OTR absolutely disdains it, as far as I can work out. Hard to imagine a less fashionable writer amongst literary types than JK (possibly the other JK+R, maybe. Yeah, that'd be it)

Me, no lie to say reading it as a 14 year old changed my life. Led to me escaping from Thanet, living in a cave for a while, and spending the last 25 years having a high ol' time around the world. I owe that book an enormous amount. To the extent I've got a line from it tattooed on my shoulder. Sure, it might not be Gwendoline Riley skewering the minutae of manners through passive aggressive conversations between the generations, but it saved me from a lifetime of cooking chips in Margate. 

That bar does sound pretty terrible, though.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

Every middle class commentator/critic/book c**t who's read OTR absolutely disdains it, as far as I can work out. Hard to imagine a less fashionable writer amongst literary types than JK (possibly the other JK+R, maybe. Yeah, that'd be it)

Me, no lie to say reading it as a 14 year old changed my life. Led to me escaping from Thanet, living in a cave for a while, and spending the last 25 years having a high ol' time around the world. I owe that book an enormous amount. To the extent I've got a line from it tattooed on my shoulder. Sure, it might not be Gwendoline Riley skewering the minutae of manners through passive aggressive conversations between the generations, but it saved me from a lifetime of cooking chips in Margate. 

That bar does sound pretty terrible, though.

Amazing to imagine him sitting at his typewriter in Queens, high on ampehtamines and bashing the whole thing out in one sitting. 

Glad the music hasn't changed much, curious to see what the place looks like now & what's replacing the motel sign. 

Defo will be spending some good hours in there again.

Talaboman, Bonobo DJ, Palmsy & Jobse all very tempting.

Hopefully the cocktails aren't too much, used to pick up a few while I was there too. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, Barneym said:

Johnny Borrell Is the new social media manager 

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/rka4w9/razorlights-first-biography-is-perhaps-the-best-material-they-ever-released