Worthy warriors

Crazyfool01

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just saw your post … I’ve previously just helped keep my camping area clear … I guess you could do that on a designated peice of camping ground 

I meant the T-shirt printing but of course I’ll politely remind people why it’s important not to piss all over the place and clear up after themselves anyway! 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Tweet now deleted 

Twice in one day! Social media person is having a bad time 😬😂

19 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I’ve done WW a couple of times, covering Big Ground, in previous years it wasn’t the greatest organisation but I enjoyed the experience and still have the T shirt somewhere. 

How did you find it? I'm tempted to do it but not sure how much responsibility would fall on me? I would obviously do as much as I could but very aware that I camp in one of the busiest fields so not sure I would be able to keep it completely tidy y'know... don't want them to think I'm taking the mick if they check and my campsite isn't clean.

Edited by DareToDibble

7 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

How did you find it? I'm tempted to do it but not sure how much responsibility would fall on me? I would obviously do as much as I could but very aware that I camp in one of the busiest fields so not sure I would be able to keep it completely tidy y'know... don't want them to think I'm taking the mick if they check and my campsite isn't clean.

I think it’s more of a good intentions thing! The more people on board to tackle the problem, the better chance of success! 

9 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

As Stuie says … I’ve just spend a short period of time making sure my wider camping area was tidy … tidy campsites breed other tidy campsites dropped some bin liners in areas that aren’t quite that tidy … 

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think it’s more of a good intentions thing! The more people on board to tackle the problem, the better chance of success! 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

As Stuie says … I’ve just spend a short period of time making sure my wider camping area was tidy … tidy campsites breed other tidy campsites dropped some bin liners in areas that aren’t quite that tidy … 

Makes sense, thanks both. To be fair we're a pretty tidy group anyway, absolutely hate litter around our camp area. May as well sign up to do it in a semi-official capacity.

Edited by DareToDibble

12 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Yes, agree with the above. I enjoyed doing it, just did it on my own but I have no inhibitions in approaching people and asked them to not leave anything behind. Maybe 75% were very switched on and keen to do their bit, a minority obviously were less interested. I asked the guy I reported to on Big Ground campsite crew to send me a photo from the Monday afternoon so I could see what it was like but he never did. 

I've done it in E21- East Campervan fields. People were very grateful to receive a black and green bin bag.  One year a caravan was left, the people who abandoned it announced their intentions before removing the number plate, leaving the keys inside and driving off! All their bedding, pans, glasses were left behind too. Me and my mate (also a Worthy Warrier) managed to rehome it and a very grateful chap called Steve from Liverpool took it home with him! We made sure no one left a trace that year! 

12 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

I've done it in E21- East Campervan fields. People were very grateful to receive a black and green bin bag.  One year a caravan was left, the people who abandoned it announced their intentions before removing the number plate, leaving the keys inside and driving off! All their bedding, pans, glasses were left behind too. Me and my mate (also a Worthy Warrier) managed to rehome it and a very grateful chap called Steve from Liverpool took it home with him! We made sure no one left a trace that year! 

That’s outrageous! Some people are bloody fools. Great that someone took it. I would have too! 😀

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

That’s outrageous! Some people are bloody fools. Great that someone took it. I would have too! 😀

It was a nice caravan too, they had paid £800 for it as the receipt was also left behind, seen far worse in the CV fields. Luckily for Steve he had a tow bar on his car!

1 hour ago, StoneCircle said:

It was a nice caravan too, they had paid £800 for it as the receipt was also left behind, seen far worse in the CV fields. Luckily for Steve he had a tow bar on his car!

Thing is - putting aside the obviously bad leaving a trace aspect - that's one of those things that sounds crazy but kind of shows how problematic the market is in some respects when disposable becomes as cheap as reusable. I'm actually a bit more comfortable with this case as it at least sounds like they made sure it was suitable for someone to take and use, unlike the occasional absolute shits who not only leave their tents but deliberately trash them so that they can't be salvaged.

Given that rental prices spike on Glastonbury weekend, and that many people renting out Caravans or Campervans either specifically forbid taking it to Glastonbury or charge a premium, it's quite possible that buying one for 800 quid was cheaper than any viable rental options they found. That's before adding any storage costs into the mix - If you don't have a driveway with suitable space for a Caravan (and many don't), you're potentially looking at forking out ~500 quid a year just for storage at a secure facility.