Ear plugs that work for music

mrfunk

After going to festivals for over 30 years, its time (although a tad late) to start looking after my ears.  looking for recommendations for music ear plugs that attenuate the music and not just destroy the shit out of it.. 

I do like the Glade and will never forget my eyes vibrating whilst watching Carl Cox..  

I've had a pair of Alpine MusicSafe Pro Ear Plugs since Feb and they've worked perfectly!  Never get ringing in my ears after gigs anymore, and you can still hear everything. 

I bought them after a gig at Electrowerkz in London that was so loud it made me feel like I was going to vomit.  Very irresponsible. 

• Upvote 1

I can very highly recommend the Loop Experience Pros. I've used at my last 3-4 concerts and they have been magically good (so long as you put them in before the show and adjust as it's all relative). They have an additional thing you can put in them to increase protection at louder shows - I only needed this sat in the front row at the O2 for Tool, otherwise I've been fine without it (front row for Bonobo at RAH, Sound desk for Foals at Olympia)

They don't have the multi-tier nonsense others have - i find them really uncomfortable - as they are just like most earphones and come with a range of rubber and foam options and sizes in the pro set. Until now I've felt like you - that they numb out the sound but between these new comfortable ones and putting them in before you get in range so you don't know the difference I'm a convert.

• Upvote 1

I have tinnitus. Always thought it was from gigs, and started protecting my ears about ten years ago. I got custom-made earplugs, which are great for very loud gigs. I go to a lot of quieter folk gigs as well, and sometimes use the foam ones instead.

Ironically my tinnitus got a lot worse a few months after having Covid, at the end of 2020, a year when there were no gigs at all! So maybe it wasn't gig-related all along....

I'm going deaf and wear hearing aids in both ears, so for loud gigs just take them out.  However when I first started to lose my hearing I also suffered from tinnitus.  I found that after having hearing aids fitted my tinnitus started to disappear and has now gone completely.

Word of warning, I bought Alpine MusicSafe Pro Ear Plugs after positive reviews but didn't factor in years of surgery/cleaning as a kid on one ear which had unknown to me had widened the entrance/canal. 

Wore them first time out to Ibiza's IMS and Pacha after. Slightly fucked I realised I couldn't feel the end of one of the plugs. I carried on partying but had to visit the hospital the next day to have it retrieved from a cavity in my ear. They are not tiny either!!! 

I would consider custom made next time but my example is probably an extreme! 

I use Happy Ears. V good quality, at gigs I can still hear a good range of frequencies so don't feel as if I'm losing out on anything! Also not badly priced. 

I have tinnitus and slight hearing loss in one ear from years of gigs and drum playing, can't let it get any worse! Would get custom made ear plugs at some point though. 

I have these: Musicians Earplug | Music Hearing Protection | Music Hearing Protection (ultimateear.com)

Got them subsidised due to being a professional musician, thanks to an excellent charity Help Musicians | Musicians' Hearing Health Scheme that works to support musicians' working conditions. If that fits you, check out. But I would recommend them wholeheartedly and that price has come down some since I first got my moulds made.