What do you think of the UK Monarchy?

squirrelarmy

The UK Monarchy. What do you think of it?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with them?

• Keep things as they are?
    • Vive La Révolution

40 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

To paraphrase Voltaire, if the royal family didn't exist we would have to invent them.  If the alternative is the Kardashian's then I take the royal family😊  but I'm a history geek.

You've got a point. Those are the only two options. 

44 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Lazy stereotyping as usual from you

Or, actually what I found. Bloke with 60 flags adorning his house answered with, “I won’t be voting for your lot, you’re useless” and a finger jabbed in my face. Tempted to snap it off. 

Tories without flags generally polite about the fact they’re voting blue. 

48 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So basically one guy...  lol   thanks for proving the point 

I can give you the stats if you’d like? 
I knocked on 78 doors, to attempt to speak to 115 voters in just over two hours. 

53% of doors were answered. 
Of the nine voters canvassed who clearly and definitively told me they would vote Conservative all bar one were rude and had union flags flying. 

I also spoke to 13 voters who classified as soft conservative, i.e. they said they would normally vote Tory but were not sure they would this time. A few clearly said they would normally vote Conservative but not while Boris Johnson is still leader. These voters were all polite and some bordered on apologetic in that classic British way, that they weren’t committing their support to my party. Very few of these 13 had union flags displayed. 

As you can see this is based on real life experience of having spoken to a number of people who exhibited the traits described. The example I gave previously was just one that I thought was illustrative of the attitudes displayed but clearly it’s probably best that in future I provide full details to support any point I make lest I am accused of “lazy stereo typing”.

@blutarsky do you get into Cornwall much? I know you live in that general direction. 

I’m wondering how many Union flags were on display down there. Like a lot of people from Yorkshire there’s a large part of the local population who don’t identify as British and prefer to fly their county flags instead. It’s rare to see a union or flag of St George around me but plenty of White Rose flags flying. 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

@blutarsky do you get into Cornwall much? I know you live in that general direction. 

I’m wondering how many Union flags were on display down there. Like a lot of people from Yorkshire there’s a large part of the local population who don’t identify as British and prefer to fly their county flags instead. It’s rare to see a union or flag of St George around me but plenty of White Rose flags flying. 

Not very often - I'm a bit further north. 

None here though - https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-illegal-rave-still-going-7166640?int_source=mantis_rec&int_medium=web&int_campaign=more_like_this 

And thousands of Cornish people were at Twickenham watching the county win the Bill Beaumont Cup again. 

Labour seem to be throwing the kitchen sink at Wakefield.. I’m seeing canvassers every 2 to 3 days. Didn’t see a single one when Mary Craig was under threat 

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Sure that happened...  More like I called out your bollocks then you changed your story 🙂. Come on be honest - it was one guy wasn't it and you was probably miffed before he answered because you already had him marked up as a closet flag waving racist lmao.

Whatever the truth linking someone putting a flag on their house and being rude is hilarious and awful stereotyping.  In my experience Labour people aren't too welcoming of tories knocking on their doors - flag or no flag.

CA0086F4-51BA-4970-89E5-F4257C138072.png

695DE790-B229-47E6-BD39-5DECC3BFCB50.png

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Was expecting you to post numbers on flag waving tory racists 😛   sadly missing 😛 

Funnily enough, canvassing apps don't have a check box for "hostile tosspot" and I'm also not going to dump all the data here for obvious reasons. What you can see though, is that the number of doors canvassed and figures for 'soft Tory' etc tally with what I posted previously. 

Classic Barry to be presented with evidence proving a point and just dismiss it. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...