What do you think of the UK Monarchy?

squirrelarmy

The UK Monarchy. What do you think of it?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with them?

• Keep things as they are?
    • Vive La Révolution

Get rid. I think us parading a diamond encrusted crown in its own chauffeur driven car to be placed on a golden throne whilst a member of the monarchy gives a speech about the financial difficulties facing the country was probably the final straw for a lot of people. If not beforehand with protecting a sex offender.

• Upvote 2

Not sure if its implemented in the right way but I like the idea there is someone "above" the PM, maybe as a sort of representation of the people. I've no evidence but maybe it keeps the leader more grounded. It would of been nice if Putin would of had to go see a stern faced old women each week and confess what he's upto in Ukraine.

11 minutes ago, lost said:

Not sure if its implemented in the right way but I like the idea there is someone "above" the PM, maybe as a sort of representation of the people. I've no evidence but maybe it keeps the leader more grounded. It would of been nice if Putin would of had to go see a stern faced old women each week and confess what he's upto in Ukraine.

I don't think the existence of the Queens role is doing much to deter this current bunch from acting the way they are. He lied to her face with no repercussions. 

I’m big fan of history. The fact that this family can trace their lineage all the way back to long before the Norman Conquest is fascinating. 

The theory that the head of state has absolute power over the country is great but only if they actually used it in a time of crisis. 

If they’re not going to use their power to replace a failing government then why do they need it?

14 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I don't think the existence of the Queens role is doing much to deter this current bunch from acting the way they are. He lied to her face with no repercussions. 

Prime Minister Boris still sounds much better than President Boris 

• Thanks 1

To me you can look at it from two directions. Value for money and role models. 

The Royal Family bring in lots of tourist money into the country. How much is hard to quantify. Some of it will be for pomp and ceremony which we could have without a monarchy. Then the cost not only the civil list, protection costs, costs for maintaining their properties but the fact that they do not pay tax. The Duchy of Lancaster makes £14 million a year for the Queen. She pays a voluntary contribution on it but the amount is not revealed.

Then there is the fact that they are role models for society. Look at the Queen’s immediate family.  She stopped her eldest son from marrying the person he loved because she was “not suitable “- look how that turned out.  She kept another son in the closet. She tried to protect her nonce son whilst briefing the press against her grandson.

I don’t wish them any harm but think that they should pay their own bills like anyone else

Their very existence should be a constant source of embarrassment to the country. The fawning over an unbelievably privileged family because they are distant descendents of a very questionable family is alien to me.

So they can trace their family back a long way? What is this, Who Do You Think You Are? Should we put Danny Dier and Josh Widdecombe in charge.

I've nothing but contempt for them and recent events covering up for the nonce has just increased that contempt.

The tourism argument doesn't stack up, tourism rates in other European countries prove that. 

Fuck 'em and everyone who kow tows to them.

And yes, I am taking the extra day off. Everyone who feels antipathy towards them should get an extra one for putting up with all this bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Their very existence should be a constant source of embarrassment to the country. The fawning over an unbelievably privileged family because they are distant descendents of a very questionable family is alien to me.

So they can trace their family back a long way? What is this, Who Do You Think You Are? Should we put Danny Dier and Josh Widdecombe in charge.

I've nothing but contempt for them and recent events covering up for the nonce has just increased that contempt.

The tourism argument doesn't stack up, tourism rates in other European countries prove that. 

And yes, I am taking the extra day off. Everyone who feels antipathy towards them should get an extra one for putting up with all this bullshit.

What he said. I'm delighted to be out of the country for the jubilee! I find it so embarrassing that we have them tbh.

On 5/25/2022 at 8:33 PM, Gnomicide said:

This, this and this again. Out of upvotes sorry Gnom. 

We have a well-being group at work which has been set up with the aim of improving morale among staff and working conditions.

So far the only thing they have come up with system whereby we anonymously by each other gifts and occasional “fun Fridays.”

The most recent fun Friday was yesterday where it was suggested we could walk round to work to celebrate the Jubilee. A cut out template to design your own crown was provided. 

Mine had “abolish the monarchy” written on it in block capitals and I put people like Johnny Rotten and Keith Flint on it as well as a cartoon of a sweating Prince Andrew and Louis XVI being beheaded on each of the points. 

According to one of my colleagues this wasn’t professionally appropriate as I was displaying my political views. I’m not sure she realised that wearing a crown and celebrating the monarchy is doing the exact same. She also seems to have forgotten that the curriculum includes plenty of antimonarchist literature, including a William Blake poem which talks about palace walls running red with blood. 

• Upvote 1