Traffic from Glastonbury to festival site on Wednesday morning

Alvoram

We've somehow managed to get a cheap room in the Glastonbury Premier Inn on Tuesday evening. 

So I'm hoping we can head down there Tuesday afternoon, and then head over to our Sticklinch car park on Weds morning / early hours.

But the question is what time? What time should we head from Gloastonbury to the festival? When does the traffic start to pick up? 

Should we head out early hours and join the queues for 8am? Or, since we have pre erected accommodation at Sticklinch, should we have a lie in, and head over after the morning rush? 

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

We've somehow managed to get a cheap room in the Glastonbury Premier Inn on Tuesday evening. 

So I'm hoping we can head down there Tuesday afternoon, and then head over to our Sticklinch car park on Weds morning / early hours.

But the question is what time? What time should we head from Gloastonbury to the festival? When does the traffic start to pick up? 

Should we head out early hours and join the queues for 8am? Or, since we have pre erected accommodation at Sticklinch, should we have a lie in, and head over after the morning rush? 

In your position, I'd choose to arrive later.

Traffic wise, the big rush is in the morning. I think it's always better to catch traffic as it's easing, rather than piling in while it's still building. You've already got your accommodation secured. Take a lay in and think about arriving just after midday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sku said:

In your position, I'd choose to arrive later.

Traffic wise, the big rush is in the morning. I think it's always better to catch traffic as it's easing, rather than piling in while it's still building. You've already got your accommodation secured. Take a lay in and think about arriving just after midday.

Agree, although you're going to get lighter traffic as you're heading to a different car park to most. I'd be tempted to go slightly earlier, say arriving at 11am. Then you can get your camp set up quickly and get into the festival proper for midday and enjoy lunch. 

a reasonably easy and leisurely start to the day i reckon, bit of breakfast/lengthy shower/porcelain poo before getting to the car parks at whatever time you've got all your bits together. The parking at Sticklinch will be ok and fairly settled, its just getting from glastonbury town to and past the queues for the west car parks that could be a bit of a twat:  id imagine that without the stress of knowing you have to be lugging your tent in and up it would be far easier to cope with an hour's traffic nonsense! 

Allowing people to park up in the main car parks has cut down quite a lot of the Wednesday traffic, but there can still be a lot of congestion if there is a problem on one of the roads or (please no) its really wet and getting cars onto the site is slow and difficult. In past years I've got from Glastonbury town to parked in the West Car Parks in 30 minutes, but one year it took 4 and half hours! Its always a little bit of a lottery

If you are really desperate to be on site early then set off as soon as possible, but as a general rule I'd say traffic is easier from late morning onwards 

• Like 1