EE at Glastonbury 2022

MJP

47 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yes, I have one next to the sofa as there isn't a socket there, so it can be convenient.  I just checked and that 15000 one I bought in 2014 and it's been to 5 Glastonbury's, Europe, USA, Mexico, Africa.  In several of those places I expected to be able to use a mains or car adapter but didn't have the right cable or it didn't work, so was invaluable to have a fallback - especially if you're relying on it to book accommodation, find grub or do sat nav 🙂 

Also - who's signing up to a new network for Glastonbury?

I've never found the coverage that bad across any network, well not in the last few years.

I was contemplating moving but I'm in contract with Sky for a few more months so would have to pay about £20 early termination fees. I was going to move anyways later on as they don't offer roaming which I'd like for our holidays so may as yet move sooner rather than later.

2019 festival I was on Vodafone and was fine, Sky piggy back on O2 so if I don't move before the festival hopefully they'll be OK 

15 minutes ago, dondo said:

I was contemplating moving but I'm in contract with Sky for a few more months so would have to pay about £20 early termination fees. I was going to move anyways later on as they don't offer roaming which I'd like for our holidays so may as yet move sooner rather than later.

2019 festival I was on Vodafone and was fine, Sky piggy back on O2 so if I don't move before the festival hopefully they'll be OK 

You'll be fine I'm sure 😊

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

For the price of a main meal at Glastonbury you could buy an off-brand 10,000mah charger that would keep you going the whole festival.  

Not sure how people drain their battery so quick. Just use power saving mode, still means you can bring up WhatsApp if necessary and have access to your camera. Got a 20,000mah Anker powerbank recently and that should see me fine for 5 days.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:22 PM, Badlands said:

Anyone got experience of o2 on-site? I’m getting rid of Three this week and reluctant to go to ee just for the festival 

Terrible usually from my experiences over the years.

33 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Not sure how people drain their battery so quick. Just use power saving mode, still means you can bring up WhatsApp if necessary and have access to your camera. Got a 20,000mah Anker powerbank recently and that should see me fine for 5 days.

It can happen accidentally, especially if some setting on your phone is managing to upload and download data in the background - e.g. iCloud. Or if you have low signal and your phone is exhausting its battery just trying to upload 1 thing.

1 hour ago, Tony Zografos please said:

looks like power bars are returning and the app is released on the 6th june: https://ee.co.uk/why-ee/glastonbury

Good spot.

Unless I'm going mad then a) the recharge tent looks much bigger on in the images on that site? and b) I can't remember them having a shop before, other than the ability to buy those power banks.

7 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Good spot.

Unless I'm going mad then a) the recharge tent looks much bigger on in the images on that site? and b) I can't remember them having a shop before, other than the ability to buy those power banks.

They've definitely had a small shop before. Not sure about specific years but certainly at least a couple times - I can visualise instances of it just to the right of the power bar exchange as you look at it, and also around the corner on the path to West Holts.

One thing I'd mention - if they've set a specific date for launching the app when it's 2 weeks out - there's likely to be a reason for that date.

My guess is that stage times are currently scheduled to drop either then or not too long before.

8 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Not gonna lie, £15 for a fully charged battery pack each day is quite appealing compared to spending £40 on a 20,000mAh pack. Especially when I'll walk pretty much past the EE tent from camp every day.

I wouldn’t rely on it tbh, queues, supplies and dodgy power packs all put me off! 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

I wouldn’t rely on it tbh, queues, supplies and dodgy power packs all put me off! 

Queues haven't been a problem in previous years, unless you allow them to be.

It's one of those things at Glastonbury where if you go past at like noon there'll be an obscenely long queue and you're wondering why anyone would bother. If you go past at 6pm on your way between stages, there's no queue to speak of and you can swap it out with approximately a 2 minute detour into their stand and out.

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

Not gonna lie, £15 for a fully charged battery pack each day is quite appealing compared to spending £40 on a 20,000mAh pack. Especially when I'll walk pretty much past the EE tent from camp every day.

There are plenty of power banks which aren't 40 quid, indeed I shared a link earlier of some reviews...

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/top-portable-chargers

13 hours ago, zeppelin said:

If Glasto is the only time you ever camp its worth it. If you might ever need a power bank with more than a single charge in in the future you're better off buying a larger one now.

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2022 at 4:27 PM, kingbadger said:

This.  I got a 20,000 mAh power pack for £22.  That will do me and the Mrs all 5 days.

I'll be honest, I don't use the phone much other than to stay in touch with the group when we split and a few photos.  In fact, the culture of filming everything and sharing on various social media platforms absolutely boils my piss.  Ruins it for those around you just trying to take in the moment and enjoy the spectacle IMO.  No one lives in the moment anymore, it's all about likes, shares and the attention/appreciation of other self centred w*nkers doing the same but somewhere else.  Fuck that.

13 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

This.  I got a 20,000 mAh power pack for £22.  That will do me and the Mrs all 5 days.

I'll be honest, I don't use the phone much other than to stay in touch with the group when we split and a few photos.  In fact, the culture of filming everything and sharing on various social media platforms absolutely boils my piss.  Ruins it for those around you just trying to take in the moment and enjoy the spectacle IMO.  No one lives in the moment anymore, it's all about likes, shares and the attention/appreciation of other self centred w*nkers doing the same but somewhere else.  Fuck that.

xl6y0u4yitk21.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

There's a video of Bicep at (I think) Parklife and its just a sea of phones in the air....what on earth people are filming anyway I have no idea.

I go to football people film it, I go to gigs/festivals people film it...no idea why and its just getting worse and worse.

30 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

There's a video of Bicep at (I think) Parklife and its just a sea of phones in the air....what on earth people are filming anyway I have no idea.

I go to football people film it, I go to gigs/festivals people film it...no idea why and its just getting worse and worse.

Yep.  I was at a small gig recently, fairly close to the stage and some c**t just pushed in front and then held a phone the size of a fucking iPad up right in front of my face, filmed an entire song then fucked off again.  Wasn't dancing/singing or even seemingly enjoying it at all.  The temptation to kidney punch the fucker was almost overwhelming.

Or maybe I'm a grumpy old twat who needs to move with the times or something.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Yep.  I was at a small gig recently, fairly close to the stage and some c**t just pushed in front and then held a phone the size of a fucking iPad up right in front of my face, filmed an entire song then fucked off again.  Wasn't dancing/singing or even seemingly enjoying it at all.  The temptation to kidney punch the fucker was almost overwhelming.

Yeh I get the 'old man shakes fist at cloud' thing yada yada.....but I just don't understand it.  people seem more interested in filming it than enjoying it.

Stone Roses at Heaton park and that's going back 10 years bloke in front pulled out his Sony SLR 20 seconds before they are due on stage and my mate said 'I've waited 20 years to see this band and i'm not doing it through your fucking viewfinder' and he swiftly put it down then fucked off 20 yards away and pulled it out again!

42 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I hate it at football at the time, i think ffs, look at whats happening in front of you and emotionally invest yourself, but to be honest if its a particularly sexy or important goal i will unashamedly lap up all the different angles i can find it from on twitter etc afterwards . . . so theyre annoying but also providing a service 

Edited by balti-pie

8 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I find it funny when people are dancing and singing along while filming. Camera shaking all over the place, mic picking up their own terrible singing. Do they actually watch the video back?

48 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I find it funny when people are dancing and singing along while filming. Camera shaking all over the place, mic picking up their own terrible singing. Do they actually watch the video back?

This is the thing I don't get.  It's live music.  If you're into it and enjoying it, you should be singing along, dancing, pogoing, surfing, or moving in some form and at least drinking in the moment, in which case no point trying to film it.  If you just want to stand still and film it then you're clearly not that into the live experience.  And why FFS - if you DO want to film it so you can try and prove to random internet shut-ins that you lead an exciting life - don't you go near the back and zoom in so you don't fuck everyone off like the selfish dickcheese you clearly are.

(shouldn't have got into this rant......)