EE at Glastonbury 2022

MJP

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I think from memory - as I did this before - you always got posted your first one before the festival, then you could change it once a day. I think you may have even had an EE wristband to how you were eligible for a daily swap and they would mark it each day.

Thought so. So there is technically still time, but you'd have expected more of a song and dance about it by now.

My phone is on Three, which is usually reliable in busy areas, as not many people seem to use Three, but I also have an EE e-sim installed too as a backup. 

For power, as there's 2 of us, who both use an electronic cigarette as well as a mobile, we are taking our Jackery 240, and will just charge everything over night, and safe-store it in the day. With a small power bank between us for emergency use towards the end of a long day. 

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I think from memory - as I did this before - you always got posted your first one before the festival, then you could change it once a day. I think you may have even had an EE wristband to how you were eligible for a daily swap and they would mark it each day.

The first year they did it (I want to say 2015 but may be wrong) they were free if you were on EE then years after that you had to pay. I expect they are not doing it this year from that press release 

I was at the Open last year and they hd a really good system where there were lots of places and people you basically have a deposit and they have you a charger and on return you got your money back.

I take a power bar but leave it in the tent, don’t expect my phone to die in the day but we didn’t lose one of our group from an epic night last time on the Friday when his phone died and we couldn’t find him

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Does anyone know if the festival will once again stop lockups charging phones? They stopped that half way through the last festival. A rare misstep. Would be good to know in advance this time. 

Sounds like it won't be needed. If you've got a fast charge phone all you'll need is to be with it at EE for 30 minutes to get a good portion of battery back. Grab a coffee, drink it whilst you wait.

From my past experience every mobile operator apart from EE 5G grinds to a halt because they don't have the capacity on the single cell tower to accommodate an extra 100k+ devices, even EE 4G struggled last time and was very slow, one of our group had 5G and it was amazingly fast like 500mb download speeds

17 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Sounds like it won't be needed. If you've got a fast charge phone all you'll need is to be with it at EE for 30 minutes to get a good portion of battery back. Grab a coffee, drink it whilst you wait.

30 mins of Glastonbury wasted just to charge a phone though

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember the queues at the EE stand being appalling in previous years, so I reckon you'd be giving up way more than 30 mins at peak times. I stick with an Anker power pack and flight mode most of the time!

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

30 mins of Glastonbury wasted just to charge a phone though

Some of us need to sit down and eat … might as well get your phone charged at the same time … would imagine they have decent sofas too … if you are in the vicinity … I’d not bother making a trip to do it though 

1 minute ago, EMorgz92 said:

I remember the queues at the EE stand being appalling in previous years, so I reckon you'd be giving up way more than 30 mins at peak times. I stick with an Anker power pack and flight mode most of the time!

How recently are you talking ? Most people use power banks these days 

Can't say we've really struggled with signal and getting through to each other in the decade I've been going. And that's on a variety of networks. *

The biggest problem is me being too fucked to remember to look at my phone or sending poor locations. 

*100% jinxed it now. 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

How recently are you talking ? Most people use power banks these days 

Definitely 2019 there was a big queue at some times (don't ask me when exactly). I think most e-festers use power banks - general population, especially those not used to camping, probably won't in such high proportions. 

3 minutes ago, EMorgz92 said:

Definitely 2019 there was a big queue at some times (don't ask me when exactly). I think most e-festers use power banks - general population, especially those not used to camping, probably won't in such high proportions. 

If the unprepared are wasting their time in queues for power that leaves more room in the rest of the festival for us. 

If anyone really wants to be prepared and isn't currently on EE, PlusNet Mobile uses their network and looks like the cheapest on a rolling 30-day plan. Only if your phone is unlocked, obvs. 😉

I'm just gonna hope for the best with my normal Voxi (Vodafone) SIM.

5 hours ago, sisco said:

Do we know if EE will still have the power banks to swap etc…?

I can't see confirmation on any internal comms. I imagine they'll be announced, if they're happening, when the app is launched.

18 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I miss the days of no phones

no social media , no news,#

you could make up as much random stuff as possible, 

And this year would be the perfect year for the 'Queen is Dead' rumours.

I remember it took until Friday and several texts from people back home to believe that Michael Jackson had died in 2009. Now it would take seconds to verify. While modern tech brings us a lot of benefit, it is an aspect I wish we could collectively recapture sometimes. (Obviously it's easy to do yourself but you are still impacted by those around you)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

And this year would be the perfect year for the 'Queen is Dead' rumours.

I remember it took until Friday and several texts from people back home to believe that Michael Jackson had died in 2009. Now it would take seconds to verify. While modern tech brings us a lot of benefit, it is an aspect I wish we could collectively recapture sometimes. (Obviously it's easy to do yourself but you are still impacted by those around you)

That's surprising....we put the radio on back at our campsite Thurs evening and every station was playing MJ....!

Just now, gooner1990 said:

That's surprising....we put the radio on back at our campsite Thurs evening and every station was playing MJ....!

Every bar was playing Jackson hits too - I've a distinct memory of sitting on the WH benches opposite the Brothers bar with them playing him - so I did sort of believe it but even then it was so out of the blue and could be a collective ruse, I wanted verification.

Suffice to say I did not have the same issues with Brexit. Aside from smart phones, someone 2 tents over shouting "FUUUUCK" at 5am was all the confirmation I needed! ...maybe I've become more trusting over the years?

9 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

it was the thursday as i remember seeing some lad  by the brothers bar with a "Jackson 4" t shirt he'd had made at a t-shirt stall that night 

Edited by eddie_corrigan

2 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

Every bar was playing Jackson hits too - I've a distinct memory of sitting on the WH benches opposite the Brothers bar with them playing him - so I did sort of believe it but even then it was so out of the blue and could be a collective ruse, I wanted verification.

Suffice to say I did not have the same issues with Brexit. Aside from smart phones, someone 2 tents over shouting "FUUUUCK" at 5am was all the confirmation I needed! ...maybe I've become more trusting over the years?

I was watching East 17 and Brian Harvey told everyone to get their lighters out for MJ and started playing 'stay another day'

Brexit I was lying in my tent and everyone was cursing and I got out of my tent and one of my friends just shouted 'We're out of the EU' and then my comedown started kicking in. 😞 

26 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

yes I remembered the sound of notifications waking me up from tent neighbours followed by a lot of "BOLLOCKS!". Good morning...