EE at Glastonbury 2022

MJP

EE PREDICTS DATA USAGE WILL DOUBLE AT GLASTONBURY 2022

• EE returns as Glastonbury Festival’s technology partner for the seventh year, in a long-standing partnership spanning over 20 years 
  • EE predicts record amount of data to be used – looking at recent data trends at live events, Worthy Farm could see 200 terabytes of data used over the festival, equivalent to viewing 8 billion Instagram posts of Sir Paul McCartney’s return to Glastonbury Festival  
  • The predicted 200TB of data is double the amount of data used by sun-soaked festival goers at the 2019 festival  
  • The official Glastonbury 2022 app developed in partnership with EE will be available to download in June pre festival  
  • Festival goers can stay connected with superfast phone charging at the EE Recharge Tent 

24th MAY 2022: Today, EE announced that it is the technology partner of Glastonbury Festival for the seventh year running, as the festival makes its return after nearly two years. Bringing its superfast network to Worthy Farm, EE is preparing for the event to be more connected than ever as 200,000 festival goers descend on the iconic 900-acre site. 

To keep attendees connected throughout the weekend, EE will be installing seven temporary masts, adding to the two permanent sites EE previously installed to cover Worthy Farm. Festival goers will have the opportunity to use its superfast mobile network technology for themselves ensuring that staying in touch with friends and sharing those magical festival moments will be easier than ever before. 

Music fans will once again have access to the EE Recharge Tent – situated in the Glade area - so they can stay charged up throughout the weekend to ensure they don’t run out of battery at a crucial moment. Open from Thursday to Sunday 10am to 10pm, the EE Recharge Tent will have chargers which are free to all, regardless of network. Wireless and USB-C charging stations will also charge compatible phones in under thirty minutes, taking the stress away from running out of battery, losing friends or not being able to snap photos and send messages during the weekend’s festivities.  

The official Glastonbury 2022 app, developed in partnership with EE, will be available to download in June, allowing music fans the opportunity to plan their line up and find their way around the site. More information on the official app will be announced in the coming weeks. 

The continued rise of social networks, messaging apps and live video streaming means that the amount of data used around the festival has increased year on year. In 2019, a whopping 103.6 terabytes of data was used over the festival weekend by Glastonbury goers sharing pictures and videos of their festival memories, streaming content and keeping up to date with events away from the festival. EE predicts this figure will once again skyrocket with a 93% increase, to more than 200 terabytes of data, equivalent to viewing 8 billion Instagram posts or 6 million downloads surpassing 2019’s data record of 100 terabytes of data being used by sun-soaked festival goers.  

EE’s superfast mobile network has been built to cope with the huge data demand from the 200,000 attendees expected to visit Worthy Farm from 22nd June to 26th June.  

Emily Eavis at Glastonbury Festival commented: “We’re really pleased to announce EE as our technology partner for the seventh year running, providing the best possible network for our rural site, as well as free charging facilities and the official app.”  

Pete Jeavons, Marketing and Communications Director at EE, said: “Over the years we have worked with the team at Glastonbury to use our technology to improve the experience of festival goers – whether that’s keeping your phone charged, getting in touch with friends at the festival or sharing memories with those that aren’t there. With the increasing data demands seen at live events across the country, we are working hard at Worthy Farm to make sure we have a network in place that can cope with these demands.” 

EE PREDICTS DATA USAGE WILL DOUBLE AT GLASTONBURY 2022

24 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Does anyone know if the festival will once again stop lockups charging phones? They stopped that half way through the last festival. A rare misstep. Would be good to know in advance this time. 

It's definitely not an official lockups policy, and it's not on our training materials. 

I think last time it was only certain lockups that were doing it, not all!

1 minute ago, shuttlep said:

I miss the days of no phones

no social media , no news,#

you could make up as much random stuff as possible, 

I took my Blackberry (remember them?!) to Glastonbury in 2009 and everyone kept borrowing it to read about Michael Jackson death and Ronaldo joining Real Madrid from Man U 😄 

Was the first time I had taken anything beyond a 'basic' phone to a festival!

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I miss the days of no phones

no social media , no news,#

you could make up as much random stuff as possible, 

I remember the shooting in '94. By the end of the weekend the stories about the number of people who'd died were getting ridiculous!

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I took my Blackberry (remember them?!) to Glastonbury in 2009 and everyone kept borrowing it to read about Michael Jackson death and Ronaldo joining Real Madrid from Man U 😄 

Was the first time I had taken anything beyond a 'basic' phone to a festival!

I had an old nokia, it never worked , no signal ... pure bliss

5 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

I remember the shooting in '94. By the end of the weekend the stories about the number of people who'd died were getting ridiculous!

we would make up a story every year about a famous person dying, and see how far it could spread. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I had an old nokia, it never worked , no signal ... pure bliss

we would make up a story every year about a famous person dying, and see how far it could spread. 

First few festivals I did people took phones but they didn't really work...wasn't until 2005-06 ish they became a bit more reliable!

29 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Anyone got experience of o2 on-site? I’m getting rid of Three this week and reluctant to go to ee just for the festival 

In my experience it works well for me if I turn off 4G. Everyone else seems to be trying to use that so 3G works well. If your phone has the ability to do it, I strongly recommend doing so.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

5G 4G or 3G so many choices 

I still haven't upgraded to a 5G yet so I'm stuck with 4 or 3 😄 

Funnily enough on match day in Cardiff the 3G trick works great. My friend has a phone that will only allow him to turn off 5G, taking him down to 4G. Both of which are really busy. So having an older phone is working in my favour for a change.

Edited by DareToDibble

45 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Anyone got experience of o2 on-site? I’m getting rid of Three this week and reluctant to go to ee just for the festival 

I thought that although EE obviously make a big PR splash that they're running the infrastructure, they actually support all networks on site, not just their own. I can't find any evidence to support that on Google though so maybe I'm wrong... 🤔

Certainly last time I went in 2016 I has absolutely no issues with signal anywhere on site with Vodafone - FaceTimed my wife at home several times and it worked fine.

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

It doesn't mention them in the link above. You'd think they would have been advertising them by now if they were going to do them but who knows.

Am I remembering rightly that they were advertising the ability to pre order your first one wayyy before previous festivals? Never been to Glasto, but I swear I saw the adverts to pre order. 

EDIT: Nope, not imagining it, page is still live https://accessories.ee.co.uk/festivalpowerbar

Edited by Alvoram
Update info

6 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Am I remembering rightly that they were advertising the ability to pre order your first one wayyy before previous festivals? Never been to Glasto, but I swear I saw the adverts to pre order. 

EDIT: Nope, not imagining it, page is still live https://accessories.ee.co.uk/festivalpowerbar

I think from memory - as I did this before - you always got posted your first one before the festival, then you could change it once a day. I think you may have even had an EE wristband to how you were eligible for a daily swap and they would mark it each day.