West holts

Fred Zepplin

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

I think Disclosure have missed a trick by getting rid of their old live show. The new sort of hybrid DJ set thing they have just isn't the same. Not sure they'll ever reach the level they used to be at again, with Bicep now superseding them in some ways. Incredible producers though, so I think they'll move more into producing for others. 

Watching the Glasto doc had me really wanting a DJ or electronic act to headline the Pyramid. That Chems footage, wow. 

I think they really missed a trick this year in not having a big name electronic act on the Other as a headliner one night. Particularly given the fact that you had Calvin Harris & Fatboy onsite ready to go, plus the Chems planned to be onsite, Prodigy touring and Bicep. Any one of them could have packed the Other for a night. 

1 minute ago, SouthbanKen said:

I think they really missed a trick this year in not having a big name electronic act on the Other as a headliner one night. Particularly given the fact that you had Calvin Harris & Fatboy onsite ready to go, plus the Chems planned to be onsite, Prodigy touring and Bicep. Any one of them could have packed the Other for a night. 

Didn't PSB do that? 

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Same here. I had the same experience watching her on The Park in 2019. Thought I'd give her another go based on hearing her live set from Cardiff earlier this year. Didn't do it for me.

Saw her at both Park and West Holts and thought she was great. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

I think the days of bands like the Chems headlining the Pyramid are long gone.

Only Daft Punk would suffice at this point which isnt happening.

I think that also kind of ignoring some of the other live electronic acts around is a thing. So Rufus Du Sol and Odesza arent allowed anywhere near Glasto even though they can sell tickets and have plenty of music and deliver a big show.

Edited by Suprefan

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Not uncommon with electronica/dance acts esp DJ's

Their 2017 (?) set on West Holts was brilliant.

T'was fantastic. And the loudest gig Ive ever heard on that stage. Left for the Other to check out BBK I think and we could still her Justice at the Leftfield tent.

Fairly certain the quality of the sound at WH is placement dependent. Had some great times there and experiences where I’ve strugggled to hear it properly.

Other stage was a marked improvement I thought this year. Only saw PSB and Metronomy but both sounded ace pretty far back behind the repeaters.

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2022 at 2:51 PM, The Nal said:

I think the days of bands like the Chems headlining the Pyramid are long gone.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:07 PM, Zacko said:

I think Disclosure have missed a trick by getting rid of their old live show. The new sort of hybrid DJ set thing they have just isn't the same. Not sure they'll ever reach the level they used to be at again, with Bicep now superseding them in some ways. Incredible producers though, so I think they'll move more into producing for others. 

Watching the Glasto doc had me really wanting a DJ or electronic act to headline the Pyramid. That Chems footage, wow. 

The Chems have said they prefer the OS to Pyramid hence why they've always been on it post 2000. 

On 7/7/2022 at 2:14 PM, clarkete said:

Didn't PSB do that? 

Hmmn. Kind of but they are not exactly a contemporary dance act, but for me - they are more synth pop rather than a full on electronic dance act like them Chems or one of the "Superstar DJ's". 

On 7/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, Suprefan said:

Only Daft Punk would suffice at this point which isnt happening.

I think that also kind of ignoring some of the other live electronic acts around is a thing. So Rufus Du Sol and Odesza arent allowed anywhere near Glasto even though they can sell tickets and have plenty of music and deliver a big show.

I disagree that its DP or bust. There are lots of dance acts and DJ's that headline large festivals around the world and sell out large arenas and stadiums on a regular basis. The likes of Swedish House Mafia, DeadMau5, Above and Beyond plus DJ's like Calvin Harris, Fatboy Slim, David Guetta all (IMO) have the status and the show to headline - the real issue is that Glasto are unlikely to pay the headline fees that these guys would command and they don't seem to want to go in that direction. 

32 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah because they know the demo of the Pyramid has changed so much.

"Hey girls
Hey boys
Superstar DJ's
Here we go!!"

portsmouth-hampshire-uk-elderly-couple-s

That couple are probably discussing being off their chops on a double drop when they were down the front, taps off , in 2000. In the picture they are coming up on some strong acid.  Look darling I am floating above the ground

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Croc said:

I've brought them up in a previous thread a while back but would be cool to see Outkast headline WH

That would be cool. I saw Big Boi in 2011 and he did about 50% Outkast stuff, it was fantastic. Shutterbugg was amazing. I would love to see them on the farm, but isn't Andre 3000 still out of action? Haven't checked in a while, but I thought he was taking some time away.

4 hours ago, tumbles said:

The Chems have said they prefer the OS to Pyramid hence why they've always been on it post 2000. 

I saw them on the Pyramid and multiple times on the other - given the choice I think I’d prefer them on the other again now.  The Pyramid is great if you happen to love a huge act that everyone else does but often has a more dispersed and lacklustre crowd, I fear that would be the case for the Chems no matter what they did 

I didn't see much at the West Holts this year, only on the Saturday afternoon when I was there for Kikagaku Moyo, Brass Against, Black Midi and Yves Tumor. 

Kikagaku Moyo were an awesome way to start the day, kinda wish I picked up a t-shirt but couldn't be fucked waiting in the queue for ages.

Brass Against were really good fun and hadn't heard them before

Black Midi were good but seems like they divide opinion as a few of my mates were hating it and left. I will say, they were much better at Williams Green in 2019.

Yves Tumor I only listened to briefly before glasto and sounded interesting so wanted to check him out. Totally loved it, lots of energy and he was in the crowd at the end of the gig with the guitarist.

5 hours ago, SouthbanKen said:

Hmmn. Kind of but they are not exactly a contemporary dance act, but for me - they are more synth pop rather than a full on electronic dance act like them Chems or one of the "Superstar DJ's". 

I disagree that its DP or bust. There are lots of dance acts and DJ's that headline large festivals around the world and sell out large arenas and stadiums on a regular basis. The likes of Swedish House Mafia, DeadMau5, Above and Beyond plus DJ's like Calvin Harris, Fatboy Slim, David Guetta all (IMO) have the status and the show to headline - the real issue is that Glasto are unlikely to pay the headline fees that these guys would command and they don't seem to want to go in that direction. 

Ah, post I responded to didn't specify contemporary. Electronic and packed Other which they'd obviously done. 

Those in the bottom, are you suggesting them for Pyramid or Other? 

They may do great elsewhere, but not convinced they could all lure a full pyramid audience.