festivals cancel dues to poor ticket sales , is this the writing on the wall ??

Big durbs

12 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

i could also list a few stadium concerts up here, that shamefully had a similar vibe to them. Stones at Murrayfield, Springsteen at Hamden.... 

Not sure what you mean by 'common decency' but I was at both those gigs and didn't get a whiff of anything other than sunny and mellow vibes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Havors said:

I'd go out on a limb and say glasto will never not sell out again as long as the festival doesn't change in any significant way. Its become something more than it ever was over the last 10 years and festivals are more popular than they ever have been. With glasto being the holy grail. 

Even with the cost of living crisis. 

Just one of those weird things for me where I place it so high in my life that even if it was the only time I could afford to leave the house all summer I'd probably save the money to make it happen. Cost is spread October/april/June and I've got camping equipment. I'm fortunate not to need to do this but in the worst scenario I would. I think quite a few others are the same so I agree it won't fail to sell out 

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

Is the writing on the for Glastonbury, do you mean? No, but as cost of living increases it will increasingly become a festival for people who can afford it. 

Its already rammed full of middle class bucket list tickers...  

30 minutes ago, Havors said:

I'd go out on a limb and say glasto will never not sell out again as long as the festival doesn't change in any significant way. Its become something more than it ever was over the last 10 years and festivals are more popular than they ever have been. With glasto being the holy grail. 

Its cheaper than the average holiday still...  

*speaking as someone who is forced to holiday in the school holidays. 😞

Edited by Barry Fish
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Its already rammed full of middle class bucket list tickers...  

You should check out the various interviews with the early hippy attendees of Glastonbury Fayre and so on. If ticket-holders are middle class now then the class bracket has actually come down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You should check out the various interviews with the early hippy attendees of Glastonbury Fayre and so on. If ticket-holders are middle class now then the class bracket has actually come down.

true story 

13 minutes ago, eiepete said:

As a regular attender of latitude I can see why they are struggling to sell tickets this year.. shambles of a line up

I hadn't heard that latitude is struggling to sell tickets,  that's a shame.

It depends really. I think latitude is expensive but I think the lineup is great... but it all depends on what you like. 

Lots of the acts I want to see there are also playing glasto so it takes the pressure off the clashes.

I love latitude it's nothing like glasto but there is a place for it. It'll be fine anyway, tickets often take a while to shift. 

You definitely get a lot of people there who aren't really,  really into music but are going as a thing to do with the family ( I know 2 families this year who are doing that).

52 minutes ago, Havors said:

I would disagree with this. Things come and go, everything has a natural life span, even if the peak is decades long. Vfest and reading both used to sell out instantly, ones gone, the other usually has tickets left close to the festival. I know Glastonbury is a world apart from them 2 but sometimes the social conscious moves on

My 2 cents - the appeal of a smaller festival is dwindling for me. I’m quite happy doing Glastonbury and that’s it, coupled with a few other gigs in a park or concerts.

They are becoming a bigger commitment holiday wise, and now that none of them are really “budget” or cheaper, it really begs the question why I’d pay £200 odd for a lineup which won’t be as strong as a bigger festival?

I get it, some festivals are more “experience” focused, but I’ve been to Boomtown and I think the experience still doesn’t touch Glastonbury. I also like music and I go to these events to see music that pulls me in. I personally wouldn’t go to a festival which was light on lineup. 

There are various vectors to consider when it comes to committing - cost, line up, proximity, number of holiday days required,  ease of access to attend, likely percentage of roasters in the crowd, etc

Even a festival where I can dig a lot of it - this year's Doune The Rabbit Hole line up caught my eye - I still can't justify the bang for my buck coefficient.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not sure what you mean by 'common decency' but I was at both those gigs and didn't get a whiff of anything other than sunny and mellow vibes.

I guess it’s where you were in the stadiums. Each experience is different. I had lager thrown over me at one, and had to move from a fight at the other.

8 minutes ago, scrippit said:

End of the Road and Green Man still sell well and have great line ups - definitely not the end for well curated small to mid size fests.

But fests like that were fortunate to start as long back as they did, so they built their reputation and lots of artists enjoy the fests so others want to perform there. Its tough to try to build loyalty these days if youre an upstart unless you got the deep pockets. APE has had trouble shifting tickets at times but AEG has no issue taking a little loss as long as they can try to deliver lots of good music and a decent experience. 

5 hours ago, st dan said:

For me, the cost of living rises actually make festivals seem much more appealing and even greater value for money. Especially if they have several acts on the line up that i want to see. 
I would start to prioritise them over gigs if/when the time comes. 

Out of up votes.  This is a very valid point.

The market was pretty much at saturation point pre covid . With time away coupled with rising costs of just about everything,  there will be some , I am sure will drop by the wayside . The strongest will survive but it may be easier to get tickets as we pick and choose which one (s) to attend. 

• Upvote 3

It will be really interesting to see how this Shropshire Bestival sells!!!! 👀 

I ALWAYS try for Glasto tickets and worry about how i'll pay for it later...(if you want something bad enough!!) If we're lucky again in October then I will take the children for the first time (plan to get the raving somewhat out of my system this year so I'm ready to compromise a little bit and experience Glasto from a new kidzfield perspective). So if that's the case then Latitude, which we've done every year since they were tiny, could well be the one we miss next year unless they really tempt us with an awesome headliner or something new for the kids 😬 

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

I live close to Weston Park, where Camp Bestival Shropshire is. Just checked the price of tickets + parking and its about £230 which for the line-up announced so far is too much for me. I think Rob said they were hoping for 20000 people but I think they will struggle. Even if it does go ahead this year, I doubt it will be back next year. 

On 5/21/2022 at 5:53 PM, Jakeyboi135 said:

I would disagree with this. Things come and go, everything has a natural life span, even if the peak is decades long. Vfest and reading both used to sell out instantly, ones gone, the other usually has tickets left close to the festival. I know Glastonbury is a world apart from them 2 but sometimes the social conscious moves on

Well if you read my post again.. I said unless the festival significantly changes. 

Vfest and the such changed a lot and it was their downfall... paying stupid money for pop acts and changing their clientele to fickle 18 years olds. 

Just now, Havors said:

Well if you read my post again.. I said unless the festival significantly changes. 

Vfest and the such changed a lot and it was their downfall... paying stupid money for pop acts and changing their clientele to fickle 18 years olds. 

I did read it. Festivals need to change to keep up 

19 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

I did read it. Festivals need to change to keep up 

Obviously you didnt. Keep up with what?  You cant even try to compare it to all the run of the mill commercial festivals. Im presuming you have actually been to Glasto? 😄 

40 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I live close to Weston Park, where Camp Bestival Shropshire is. Just checked the price of tickets + parking and its about £230 which for the line-up announced so far is too much for me. I think Rob said they were hoping for 20000 people but I think they will struggle. Even if it does go ahead this year, I doubt it will be back next year. 

I honestly think Glastonbury puts a lot of pressure on other festivals' pricing. When you look at all you get across 5 days, absolute world-class line up, loads of cool stuff outside just the music, all for "just" £335 (Ticket + Parking) then most other festivals don't look like great value in comparison. 😕