Right, that's fine, we're splitting

Greased-Up Deaf Guy

10 hours ago, Beergirl said:

One of my few must sees in 2019 was The Cat Empire headlining Avalon on the Saturday night. Everyone else in my group was dead set on The Killers on the pyramid. I had time to catch the first 2 Killers songs with them before shooting off for Cat Empire, as great as those 1st 2 songs were (and having watched the set back on iplayer and knowing how good a set it was) I have no regrets. Cat Empire were amazing and I danced harder than I had all weekend. They actually disbanded this year after 21 years, little did I know at the time that it was my last chance to see them play live and I'm bloody glad I took it

That night was my top two favourite live acts against each other: The Chems & The Cat Empire.

I've seen both a number of times but am disappointed I didn't see that Avalon show. I saw them open the Other Stage and my mates were always going Chems - which, to be fair, was a hell of a show!

I'm intrigued to see what the new incarnation of The Cat Empire will be like.

For the thread, I began the walk to the Pyramid with one group of my friends for Arctic Monkeys in 2013 before circling back halfway because I realised I really wanted to be at Portishead.

11 hours ago, Greased-Up Deaf Guy said:

There's multiple times this happens across the festival for all of us.

Sometimes you just have to see Nile Rogers and CHIC whilst the rest of you go skank out to some drum & bass.

Post your biggest walkaways 

Oasis > Chems 2004. 

10 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

They were pretty immense that night alright (sorry!)…Though I did edit the post above as you were replying to say that the group that went to Beyoncé thoroughly enjoyed the show…nowadays with communication so easy, wandering off to see what you want is no big deal, it’s easy to find everyone again afterwards, and you end up watching what you want surrounded by others that feel the same. Just go for it! 

Better Living Through Chemistry that night. A humdinger, buddy.

Also played "Fun Machine" that night. Gnarly craic.

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

2007.....stayed on Pyramid to watch that terrible Killers set rather than walk through the mud to Jazz World to see John Fogerty throw out a Creedence heavy setlist.....deeply regretted ever since.

😢

If it’s any consolation, he was pretty much done by the time the Killers came on (Rodrigo y Gabriela were the JW headliners)…however, it’s up there in my favourite Glastonbury sets ever (sorry!)…

Just now, Wooderson said:

Yeah, they were bloody fantastic that night. Unexpected other headliners too, kinda came out of left field and just knocked it out of the park! 

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Fucking unbelievable set. Best Sunday closer ever.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

2011…Sunday. Half our crew went to Kool and the Gang, the other half Beyoncé…I went to QOTSA on me tod. I think they all regret it. 

edit: to be fair, those that went to Beyoncé said she was great, it was one of those “if I don’t see her here, I never will” things. Since then they have watched the QOTSA set back and quietly muttered, feck.

Kool & the Gang were also awesome that night. Just watching the QOTSA set tho and it looks nuts. Tough call in hindsight

21 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Kool & the Gang were also awesome that night. Just watching the QOTSA set tho and it looks nuts. Tough call in hindsight

Ah that’s just the nature of clashes I guess. I watched Blur in ‘09. Don’t regret a second of it, one of my all time favourites. But Prodigy looked insane over on the other. 

I have to be completely honest I don’t think I’ve ever watched a set on my own. I would normally go and watch something with a friend than go and watch something I would probably prefer but alone. 

I think I enjoy the social aspect of it just as much as the music itself, so feel like I’d not enjoy “my” set as much if I was alone anyway. 

This is speaking from a place of never having done it though. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it and all that. 

32 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Biggest split in 2017 was between Radiohead and Dizzee. My friend and I chose the latter leaving the others at Radiohead after about 15 minutes of their set because we wanted to dance and enjoy our Friday night bopping around. Probably the best split we made all weekend.

I still regret my first night ever at Glastonbury watching Radiohead... they were utter dross. 

18 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Ah that’s just the nature of clashes I guess. I watched Blur in ‘09. Don’t regret a second of it, one of my all time favourites. But Prodigy looked insane over on the other. 

Ha, that's funny, I went to Prodigy because I didn't fancy Blur after I was disappointed with their Reading set from 2003!

But you're right. You've got to pick one side of the clash.

That's the way she goes boys. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't,  cause that's the fuckin' way she goes. : r/trailerparkboys

I dipped out of Muse in 2010 about a third of the way in as I'd seen them at their Teignmouth gig at the end of 2009 and the set was note for note, word for word (including the in between songs routine) identical. I wondered around for a bit and stumbled upon George Clinton with P Funk at West Holts. Easily the best dip out I've ever made, just wish I'd done it earlier.

3 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

I wanted to see Blur but stuck with my mates at Prodigy. A decision I’ve regretted on a daily basis ever since.

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I have to be completely honest I don’t think I’ve ever watched a set on my own. I would normally go and watch something with a friend than go and watch something I would probably prefer but alone. 

I think I enjoy the social aspect of it just as much as the music itself, so feel like I’d not enjoy “my” set as much if I was alone anyway. 

This is speaking from a place of never having done it though. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it and all that. 

I prefer when we don’t go our separate ways but I would 100% prefer to go my own way than watch something I don’t want to see and I’d prefer the person I am with go and watch something they want to see than stick with me and resent me for making them miss out on something they want to see. 

Have to say I really enjoyed watching Slash on my own. By halfway through Ray Davies they all found their way to me and I have no regrets but I know they do! 

I generally do my own thing. Might recommend acts to friends, and we might meet up, but moving en masse around the site is not for me. We generally find out what we want to see in common and meet up at those gigs.

Having said that, many years ago someone in my group insisted I go and see Beck and I am glad I went. He was amazing.  Another year a friend said that Ed Sheeran really was worth seeing. This was an afternoon slot. I tried, but only lasted two songs.