Right, that's fine, we're splitting

Greased-Up Deaf Guy

One of my few must sees in 2019 was The Cat Empire headlining Avalon on the Saturday night. Everyone else in my group was dead set on The Killers on the pyramid. I had time to catch the first 2 Killers songs with them before shooting off for Cat Empire, as great as those 1st 2 songs were (and having watched the set back on iplayer and knowing how good a set it was) I have no regrets. Cat Empire were amazing and I danced harder than I had all weekend. They actually disbanded this year after 21 years, little did I know at the time that it was my last chance to see them play live and I'm bloody glad I took it

Edited by Beergirl
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beergirl said:

One of my few must sees in 2019 was The Cat Empire headlining Avalon on the Saturday night. Everyone else in my group was dead set on The Killers on the pyramid. I had time to catch the first 2 Killers songs with them before shooting off for Cat Empire, as great as those 1st 2 songs were (and having watched the set back on iplayer and knowing how good a set it was) I have no regrets. Cat Empire were amazing and I danced harder than I had all weekend. They actually disbanded this year after 25 years, little did I know at the time that it was my last chance to see them play live and I'm bloody glad I took it

I didn’t know that they had disbanded. They were my first COVID casualty gig. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

I didn’t know that they had disbanded. They were my first COVID casualty gig. 

Yeah they did a big "last ever gigs" tour of Australia over the last few months, think they played their last show last month. Felix and Ollie are still continuing, but I don't think it's going to be as The Cat Empire. I don't know how that would be possible, it would have to be a new project. 

2011…Sunday. Half our crew went to Kool and the Gang, the other half Beyoncé…I went to QOTSA on me tod. I think they all regret it. 

edit: to be fair, those that went to Beyoncé said she was great, it was one of those “if I don’t see her here, I never will” things. Since then they have watched the QOTSA set back and quietly muttered, feck.

Edited by Toilet Duck
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

2011…Sunday. Half our crew went to Kool and the Gang, the other half Beyoncé…I went to QOTSA on me tod. I think they all regret it. 

I went to Beyonce. Shoud have gone to QOTSA but it was only my second glastonbury and wasn't brave enough to go by myself! Still regret it

Just now, Beergirl said:

I went to Beyonce. Shoud have gone to QOTSA but it was only my second glastonbury and wasn't brave enough to go by myself! Still regret it

They were pretty immense that night alright (sorry!)…Though I did edit the post above as you were replying to say that the group that went to Beyoncé thoroughly enjoyed the show…nowadays with communication so easy, wandering off to see what you want is no big deal, it’s easy to find everyone again afterwards, and you end up watching what you want surrounded by others that feel the same. Just go for it! 

I'm always happy to slope off on my own when I'm with a crew. As long as we meet up back at the tents at the end of the night, it's all cool. Actually I'm happy to go to a festival on my own - I usually do at End of the Road. I'm more than comfortable with my own company & I'd rather be around fans of my music than friends who are not into it!

• Upvote 1

Never had this problem, me and my mates have always totally accepted that if we want to see something different, away we go and see you later. We've even watched the same bands from different parts of the field because one or more wanted to go down the front but others couldn't be arsed.

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I'm always happy to slope off on my own when I'm with a crew. As long as we meet up back at the tents at the end of the night, it's all cool. Actually I'm happy to go to a festival on my own - I usually do at End of the Road. I'm more than comfortable with my own company & I'd rather be around fans of my music than friends who are not into it!

Love this. Build your own roads

2011 Friday evening, one of the years we did the family festival thing.  Kids wanted to see U2, I stuck it out for the Primals.  Their experience was less than stellar, I got to see Bobbie and the boys at the very top of their game.  It was leathering down for much of the set, I honestly barely noticed.  

2013, same deal, kids went for Artic Monkeys and I opted for Portishead.  

35 minutes ago, Beergirl said:

One of my few must sees in 2019 was The Cat Empire headlining Avalon on the Saturday night. Everyone else in my group was dead set on The Killers on the pyramid. I had time to catch the first 2 Killers songs with them before shooting off for Cat Empire, as great as those 1st 2 songs were (and having watched the set back on iplayer and knowing how good a set it was) I have no regrets. Cat Empire were amazing and I danced harder than I had all weekend. They actually disbanded this year after 21 years, little did I know at the time that it was my last chance to see them play live and I'm bloody glad I took it

In 2007 the rest of my group, including my then girlfriend (now wife) went to see The Killers play quietly because of atmospheric conditions, whilst I hot tailed it up to The Park to see Africa Express have a rotating cast of brilliance.

I properly made the right choice.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

15 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

They were pretty immense that night alright (sorry!)…Though I did edit the post above as you were replying to say that the group that went to Beyoncé thoroughly enjoyed the show…nowadays with communication so easy, wandering off to see what you want is no big deal, it’s easy to find everyone again afterwards, and you end up watching what you want surrounded by others that feel the same. Just go for it! 

Beyoncé was enjoyable to be fair, but wish I'd had seen QOTSA. Been perfectly happy to have a bimble by myself ever since though! 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Never had this problem, me and my mates have always totally accepted that if we want to see something different, away we go and see you later. We've even watched the same bands from different parts of the field because one or more wanted to go down the front but others couldn't be arsed.

Oh I do now,  2011 was the last time I sacrificed a set I wanted to see for the purposes of staying with the group. I love a solo adventure now, especially when it's at glastonbury! 

47 minutes ago, Greased-Up Deaf Guy said:

Sometimes you just have to see Nile Rogers and CHIC whilst the rest of you go skank out to some drum & bass.

I made some bad life choices in 2017... I was at Magic Numbers while any sane person was watching Chic, even they questioned the audiences state of mind for being there.  Also went for Alt-J over the Foos that year which I still don't really fully understand.  My head wasn't in the best place at the time but I still sometimes look in the mirror and think 'Dickhead'. 

• Like 1

the last time McCartney played was there with a group of pals.. .McCartney for me is a face i wouldn't get tired of slapping... lasted 4ish songs before i felt my moans coming on.. then made my split, headed to Holts (if it was holts then?) for Toots and the Maytals.. a wise decision.. 90 minutes of ska/reggae heaven. 

6 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

I made some bad life choices in 2017... I was at Magic Numbers while any sane person was watching Chic, even they questioned the audiences state of mind for being there.  Also went for Alt-J over the Foos that year which I still don't really fully understand.  My head wasn't in the best place at the time but I still sometimes look in the mirror and think 'Dickhead'. 

At least you didn't have to see The Foos.

49 minutes ago, Beergirl said:

Beyoncé was enjoyable to be fair, but wish I'd had seen QOTSA. Been perfectly happy to have a bimble by myself ever since though! 

Enjoyable?

Anyone who thinks there was a better place to be than in that field is deluded 😛 

It was brilliant, she'll never be there again (unlike most of the alternatives), most of us won't get another opportunity to see her and she was the biggest R&B star in the world and  for me it was great to support the festival in getting her there for a headline slot.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/jun/27/beyonce-glastonbury-2011-review 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SheffJeff said:

I made some bad life choices in 2017... I was at Magic Numbers while any sane person was watching Chic, even they questioned the audiences state of mind for being there.

So was I, and I don't regret it for a second.

Of course everyone should see Nile & Chic once, but to be kind of blunt about it - when you've seen them once, you probably don't need to see them again. The next time is going to be near enough exactly the same, probably right down to the stage banter. Any variation will mostly be down to set length. It's very much diminishing returns, which is why I wasn't fussed that time.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

^This. Why sit through stuff you don't like? You'll hate it and the others you are with know that you aren't enjoying it so what's the point? Just meet up again later.

My husband and I have pretty similar taste in music and I tend to be the one that has done more research so he is usually happy to stick with my suggestions but from our very first festival I have been happy to go solo if we want something different. In 2010 my husband and friends went to watch the football and I stayed and watched Slash and Ray Davies (definitely made the right call there!!) 

I go to festivals with my other half and we have never split. I would love to go and have a bimble about, stop and watch more random stuff, but hubster isn’t really up for the solo experience and I completely get that so wouldn’t put him through it. We do a lot of compromising and so far it has worked for us but I’m sure there will come a day when we have to be brave 😁 

Think I’ve done a solo wander pretty much every Glasto I’ve been to. Seeing an act you love or staying with the gang is a no brainer in my eyes. 

• Upvote 1