Ques when leaving by car

Bigfishlittlefish

We are considering refunding our coach tickets and hiring a minibus due to the amount of gear we have and so that we can load up a ton of booze. I have to catch a flight 10am Tuesday morning in Manchester so would like to be home in Liverpool before 8pm on the Monday. The glasto website says up to 9hr delays getting out the car park which seems ridiculous, is it really that bad if you don't leave by 7am? I don't wanna miss out on Sunday Shenanigans but I can't afford to get home too late on the Monday.

15 minutes ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

We are considering refunding our coach tickets and hiring a minibus due to the amount of gear we have and so that we can load up a ton of booze. I have to catch a flight 10am Tuesday morning in Manchester so would like to be home in Liverpool before 8pm on the Monday. The glasto website says up to 9hr delays getting out the car park which seems ridiculous, is it really that bad if you don't leave by 7am? I don't wanna miss out on Sunday Shenanigans but I can't afford to get home too late on the Monday.

So your current coaches are National Express and you've got General festival tickets?

If you were getting the coach out it certainly wouldn't take 9 hours, I think their time estimates are catering for terrible queues, especially considering a comparatively recent year like 2016 when there was mud causing issues with vehicles getting stuck.

Just being nosey but why do you have to be back by 8pm?  I understand you've got a flight and need to be there presumably 2 hours early, but it would seem you're creating a worry for yourself when going to bed at 10pm wouldn't be the worst thing in the world?

23 minutes ago, clarkete said:

So your current coaches are National Express and you've got General festival tickets?

If you were getting the coach out it certainly wouldn't take 9 hours, I think their time estimates are catering for terrible queues, especially considering a comparatively recent year like 2016 when there was mud causing issues with vehicles getting stuck.

Just being nosey but why do you have to be back by 8pm?  I understand you've got a flight and need to be there presumably 2 hours early, but it would seem you're creating a worry for yourself when going to bed at 10pm wouldn't be the worst thing in the world?

I think your right about the worrying I just don't wanna miss this flight as it's the most expensive holiday I've ever booked 😬

All sorts of thoughts in my head such as coach not turning up/ breaking down etc 😅 I'm starting to think sticking with the coach is best I just hope they don't refuse us for having too much stuff

1 minute ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

I think your right about the worrying I just don't wanna miss this flight as it's the most expensive holiday I've ever booked 😬

All sorts of thoughts in my head such as coach not turning up/ breaking down etc 😅 I'm starting to think sticking with the coach is best I just hope they don't refuse us for having too much stuff

1.  Is it National Express coach - so you'll already have the festival tickets and this is a legit choice?

2.  Is it 2 hours before check in and how long is the journey/parking time on top?  

3.  How much kip do you need?
(eg. if it were me and I got back at midnight I know I could get up 6ish and function sufficiently to get to an airport and check in to sit on a plane - where it can be very convenient to get through the journey with a nap).

4.  Doesn't matter how much booze you bring - surely any saving is gonna be outweighed by the cost of hiring a minibus?  
(If you're weighing that against coach refunds, are they still an option?)

11 minutes ago, clarkete said:

1.  Is it National Express coach - so you'll already have the festival tickets and this is a legit choice?

2.  Is it 2 hours before check in and how long is the journey/parking time on top?  

3.  How much kip do you need?
(eg. if it were me and I got back at midnight I know I could get up 6ish and function sufficiently to get to an airport and check in to sit on a plane - where it can be very convenient to get through the journey with a nap).

4.  Doesn't matter how much booze you bring - surely any saving is gonna be outweighed by the cost of hiring a minibus?  
(If you're weighing that against coach refunds, are they still an option?)

Yes we already have booked national express for return 2:30pm Monday and we have general admission tickets

Flight departs 10:20am Tuesday but I think they recommend arriving three hours early now and would take no more than 1hr to get to the airport from our house. I think we would need to leave about 6am. Coach says we will be home by 8:30pm Monday but I'm just worried about delays and such!

Like you said though I'm probably worrying too much. Coach refunds are an option but as you say would cost a lot more for minibus. Would like some sleep before we leave but as long as we make the flight I'm not bothered!

For Tuesday I'm sure there will be folks here who are planning to get up and do work stuff which is harder than what you're planning.

As long as your holiday doesn't involve trekking down the Amazon or whatever I'm sure you'll be fine.  You got a few hours on the flight to have a nap?

Are you young enough to recover from a festival OK or one of us oldies that could suffer a multi-day hangover?

When I was younger I had times I went out until 3am, slept for a couple of hours and then got coach and plane journeys home.  felt absolutely dreadful at the time, but came out in one piece and without bringing shame on my whole family (which happened at other times).

12 minutes ago, clarkete said:

For Tuesday I'm sure there will be folks here who are planning to get up and do work stuff which is harder than what you're planning.

As long as your holiday doesn't involve trekking down the Amazon or whatever I'm sure you'll be fine.  You got a few hours on the flight to have a nap?

Are you young enough to recover from a festival OK or one of us oldies that could suffer a multi-day hangover?

When I was younger I had times I went out until 3am, slept for a couple of hours and then got coach and plane journeys home.  felt absolutely dreadful at the time, but came out in one piece and without bringing shame on my whole family (which happened at other times).

I'm 30 but feel much older 😅 I will be grumpy with no sleep but I will be fine after the flight, we have 10hrs on the flight to sleep, we're heading to Jamaica 😁

Good point about people working Tuesday morning

Edited by Bigfishlittlefish

I know you don't want anything to go wrong and especially things go right, but sometimes we can all just over think it. Often better to set things I  motion and go with it....and not worry if I'm doing it the best way. If you hired a minibus you can take more gear but your arrival timings may change and you'd probably be in a walk to the gate and a bigger queue. Not ideal with a mahoosive tent.....And how would your mates feel about the change of plan?

6 minutes ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

I'm 30 but feel much older 😅 I will be grumpy with no sleep but I will be fine after the flight, we have 10hrs on the flight to sleep, we're heading to Jamaica 😁

I see what you mean, that does sound like a great holiday and clearly one you'd be upset if you fluffed, but then if anywhere is gonna be laid back about you having a rest you'd expect it to be there?

30 is the age I was when I was in a bar/club at 3am and then on a coach at 7am for a slow journey down a mountain before a flight.  Also the same year I flew back from Amsterdam after 3 or 4 hours kip with a dreadful hangover and insisted on standing  up most of the flight.

Lived to tell the tale, you'll be OK 🙂 

11 minutes ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

Yes....you are a grumpy young bugger. Man up and get it done. Sleep is merely an aspiration. You're better off giving your ticket up now otherwise you'll embarrass yourself at Glasto by slinking off to the tent before sun up 🤣

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I know you don't want anything to go wrong and especially things go right, but sometimes we can all just over think it. Often better to set things I  motion and go with it....and not worry if I'm doing it the best way. If you hired a minibus you can take more gear but your arrival timings may change and you'd probably be in a walk to the gate and a bigger queue. Not ideal with a mahoosive tent.....And how would your mates feel about the change of plan?

They think it might be fun but cost is a worry. My biggest priority is getting home easily so if the coach is better then that's what we will do! Do you have experience with coach returns, are they usually reliable?

21 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I see what you mean, that does sound like a great holiday and clearly one you'd be upset if you fluffed, but then if anywhere is gonna be laid back about you having a rest you'd expect it to be there?

30 is the age I was when I was in a bar/club at 3am and then on a coach at 7am for a slow journey down a mountain before a flight.  Also the same year I flew back from Amsterdam after 3 or 4 hours kip with a dreadful hangover and insisted on standing  up most of the flight.

Lived to tell the tale, you'll be OK 🙂 

Oh yeah I'm not worried about resting when we are there its gonna be a very chill trip. Just catching the flight is my worry. I will just assume no time for sleep and that way it doesn't matter if I don't get home until 3am. Thanks for you words of encouragement it's gonna be a fun summer 🙂

Just a thought, but this supposed 9 hour delay getting out? I hear 2016 was bad but couldn't get tickets that year so no idea.

Always been home in North Wales no later than 8pm Monday.

Does anyone really know someone who had a 9 hour delay getting out? 

I have only driven once (2014) and we got up at around 9, had something to eat, packed away, walked back to the car, drove straight out, home to Shropshire by afternoon, back at work Tuesday morning.  No stress.  Other times got coach and they left more or less on time and straight off site (bit of a queue to get on, leave an hour or so before you're due to leave).  I really don't think you've got anything to worry about whichever you do.  You will be home in plenty of time to leave for the airport and you have a ten hour flight to sleep!

Just make sure your Jamaica bags are packed before you got to Glasto!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I have only driven once (2014) and we got up at around 9, had something to eat, packed away, walked back to the car, drove straight out, home to Shropshire by afternoon, back at work Tuesday morning.  No stress.  Other times got coach and they left more or less on time and straight off site (bit of a queue to get on, leave an hour or so before you're due to leave).  I really don't think you've got anything to worry about whichever you do.  You will be home in plenty of time to leave for the airport and you have a ten hour flight to sleep!

Same, very rare my journeys back have been too bad, whether driving or coach - certainly nothing that long even in 2016.

Your last line is the most important aspect 🙂 

Edited by clarkete
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Thanks for the response, I'm sure you are right, and I certainly will make sure everything is ready to go before glasto 😁