Sensory deprivation

Fish Bulb

That's funny, i was literally just searching the forum for the thread from the other day about ear plugs as someone recommended some that were specifically for gigs.  I use Flare ear plugs but they can change the noise of the gig a bit.  

(not to derail your ear plugs for sleeping thread, but if someone can point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it) 

Edited by GeezLouise

I love these for sleeping and I've tried sssooo many pairs . I seem to have small ears though as I only need half an earplug per ear 🙂

Ear Plugs for Sleeping by Soundbloc™ - 1 Year Supply (6 Pairs) - Custom Fit Noise Reduction Reusable Soft Silicone Earplugs - The Earplug for Sleep Size L/M : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

These are the best i've found for sleeping, nothing fancy. I use them all the time, even good for sleeping in East CV with the sound bleed from the SE Corner.

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/b00017635/

I used these for years when I played in a (very noisy) band, never had an issue with them.

https://www.alpinehearingprotection.co.uk/products/musicsafe-pro

For eye masks, just buy a Fresh and Black tent!

Edited by Johnnyseven

Thanks all, and thanks for the further ear plug threads.

What about eye masks? I bought a cheap one recently but the light slightly gets in under my eyes - anyone use one of these they'd recommend? Might be a moot point as I've joined the Fresh n Black crew this year anyway.

20 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

What about eye masks? I bought a cheap one recently but the light slightly gets in under my eyes - anyone use one of these they'd recommend? Might be a moot point as I've joined the Fresh n Black crew this year anyway.

Yeah, I did a search for eyemask but did not find a similarly useful thread I'm afraid.  Some folks seem to say that they don't get on as well with them..

48 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

If you’ve got a F n B tent, you won’t need one. I’ve also got one and did a test run a couple of weekends ago, it’s properly dark!

1 hour ago, Fish Bulb said:

You won't need one with the F&B. Make sure you bring a torch, they're very dark inside and it's hard to find things!

Edited by Johnnyseven

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Ever tried audiobooks? That way any noise just fades into the background.

On a flight recently I tried ambient ocean sounds, which did work but really confused me when I woke up still on a plane surrounded by water!

4 hours ago, Fish Bulb said:

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but looking for recommendations for:

a) Eye masks (for sleeping)

b) Ear plugs (also for sleeping)

Hit me with your best sleeping aids please.

The earplugs question is effectively asking "what is the best size of shoes for me to buy?"  It's an individual thing, dictated by the structure of your own ear canal.  I'm lucky in that the standard little yellow barrel foam ones fit me perfectly, so I can just nick them from work.  I've still got a load of the wax ones somewhere that I bought from Boots 20+ years ago because it was a battle to get the things to go in, and if I then moved my jaw, they'd both fall straight out.  However, ask 'The Nal' and you're clearly going to get a diametrically opposed review of them.

So finding the best earplugs is a matter of trying out as many different types as you can.  Start with the cheap ones - ideally nicked from someone's workplace or given out free at venues - and only go down the more expensive custom options if they don't work out.  So long as you can get good all-round contact inside your ear canal, it's job done as the foam that cheapo ones are made from is just as good at attenuating sound as the pricier stuff.

8 hours ago, Fish Bulb said:

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but looking for recommendations for:

a) Eye masks (for sleeping)

I have tried loads of masks and this one is outstanding, expensive but long lasting compared to others. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manta-Sleep-Mask-Adjustable-Deepest-Possible/dp/B07PRG2CQY

Edited by StoneCircle

10 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

These are the best i've found for sleeping, nothing fancy. I use them all the time, even good for sleeping in East CV with the sound bleed from the SE Corner.

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/b00017635/

I used these for years when I played in a (very noisy) band, never had an issue with them.

https://www.alpinehearingprotection.co.uk/products/musicsafe-pro

For eye masks, just buy a Fresh and Black tent!

Agree, the 3ms ones are simple but excellent.

I like the silicone ones as you can smush them around your ear holes a bit to get a perfect seal.

The branded ones are 'bioears' (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bio-Ears-Silicone-Protection-Activaloe/dp/B0013HGG0C?th=1) but Superdrug (https://www.superdrug.com/Health/First-Aid/Ear-Plugs/Superdrug-Silicone-Earplugs-x3/p/771494) and Boots both have their own versions.

For sleeping I like the wax covered cotton earplugs. Most comfortable for me, I'm a bit particular.

For shows, I use either custom molded ones or Etymotic Research ER20's.

Sleep masks, I like the contoured eyemasks with a velcro strap instead of the free flat ones that they give you you on the plane. My eyelashes don't brush up against the ones with "cups" like they do on the flat masks. See above about me being a bit particular.

6 minutes ago, juuceman said:

Sleep masks, I like the contoured eyemasks with a velcro strap instead of the free flat ones that they give you you on the plane. My eyelashes don't brush up against the ones with "cups" like they do on the flat masks. See above about me being a bit particular.

Same here, the ones with the hollowed out bits for your eyes are a game changer. 

For anyone interested, you can get them for a few quid on eBay if yous earch for '3D sleep mask' or something like that.