Slipped disc advice

Chicklepop

I have just been told I have 2 bulging discs in my lower back. Am I bonkers for thinking I will manage to do the festival? What type of healing is on offer at the healing fields (never made it there yet). This will be my 4th festival so I know it can be tiring on the whole body, but I just don’t want to miss out on the best week of the year! Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks 

4 minutes ago, Chicklepop said:

I have just been told I have 2 bulging discs in my lower back. Am I bonkers for thinking I will manage to do the festival? What type of healing is on offer at the healing fields (never made it there yet). This will be my 4th festival so I know it can be tiring on the whole body, but I just don’t want to miss out on the best week of the year! Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks 

not bonkers at all.  I have lived with a displaced disc since 1997, it is all about management.  I know when I am doing too much because I get specific signs that it is pressing on the sciatic nerve. I stretch and move constantly, the most uncomfortable thing I do is stand still for long periods.

Learn to understand what your back and body is telling you, take it easier than before but don't stop anything.  The worst you can do is stop life as you live it, don't over react.  Personally, exercise is key.  I run a lot and avoid any twisty exercise (I am also getting old).

Good advice thank you 😁 

I have been in so much pain with it the past couple of weeks and went into panic mode when I got my MRI results back on Monday. I am usually really active as it’s been awful to have to stop doing the things I love (not minded not doing the housework though😂). 
I am trying to think positive but really concerned about lugging my rucksack and tent etc. 

I think you need to join all the forums and FB groups that deal with managing bad back pain and get advice from the many fellow suffers out there.

Learn to recognise chronic versus acute and what and when you need to do something. 

Go to your library and read a book.  The Back Bible by Sarah Keyes is my go to. 

You know Glasto is hard. You know a bad back is hard. So you can already expect the combo to be double hard. 

Resting it and stretches are your friend. As well as decent pain medication. Research the 4 levels of pain killers and also NSAIDS and take them with you to self dose. This will be easier than getting hold of some there. 

Don’t get too fucked up. 

Remeber that slipped discs can last a lifetime and should be taken care of. 

I have two slipped discs (the lowest two) and have suffered on and off since 2004. 

Good luck with it. 

If you go then you need to have an adequate escape plan to get offsite and back home to your own bed. And take things REALLY easy. I did one WOMAD and one Glastonbury with terrible pain and it’s really tough. Constant pain is horrible.

But it’s your pain and only you know just how it feels. 

• Thanks 1

I have severe static pain in my right leg. I’ve been like this for 6 months  now. Recently started acupuncture which has been very effective. My plan of action. Is to visit an acupuncturist on the healing fields if the pain becomes to difficult to manage.

On 5/18/2022 at 1:59 PM, Chicklepop said:

Been to GF with a prolapsed disc. It was hell.
Healing fields helped me get through Sunday and home but I paid for it later that year and 3 years later am still recovering from the longer terms effects.

Your call but if I had my time again I would have stayed at home.

34 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Been to GF with a prolapsed disc. It was hell.
Healing fields helped me get through Sunday and home but I paid for it later that year and 3 years later am still recovering from the longer terms effects.

Your call but if I had my time again I would have stayed at home.

This sounds so scary 😧 I do think I could possibly get through on the energy of the place alone plus visits to the healing fields but it’s the “what if I make it worse long term?” 

Also I don’t want to burden my husband if things do go belly up at the festival. 
I have been signed off work for the next 2 weeks so I have got chance to recuperate and re-assess.
Ms Mendip that sounds like you have a plan 😁 

Another sufferer here, mine definitely eases with movement. First thing on a morning is the killer. Like Pilton Digger, standing still is definitely the worst for me. 

First bout was in 2014 and I didn't attend in 2015. Not related. Second slipped disc happened during the first lockdown and I think it would have meant me missing Bearded Theory, not sure it would have stopped me going to Glastonbury. I would have just taken it easier, seen more of the Cabaret and Circus and not walked the 20-25km a day we did in 2019.

Once it's settled down, I have found the Renpho massage gun really good for relieving sciatic pain/

Hope you manage to make it

Hello lovely, I have 2 herniated discs and ongoing pain, staying off site for the first time because of this. Will be setting up a small tent on site in case I need somewhere to crash.  Know I would struggle as I’m travelling solo, at least you will have some help, good luck x

23 hours ago, pilton digger said:

one thing you may want to avoid at the moment is compressive loads, carrying heavy stuff that will compress your spine. That may make getting all your stuff onsite more challenging unless you use a trolley, or find a mate to help.

Thankfully we have a trolley that has seen us through a good many festivals  but I am currently trying to whittle down to what are essentials so the load will be smaller.

7 hours ago, Charm said:

Hello lovely, I have 2 herniated discs and ongoing pain, staying off site for the first time because of this. Will be setting up a small tent on site in case I need somewhere to crash.  Know I would struggle as I’m travelling solo, at least you will have some help, good luck x

I have been given some good tips on this thread, I hope you can use them too. Thankfully 99.9% of people there are amazing and I’m sure will offer help if needed. 
I hope you have a fab time x

Hiya, I have done G before and after surgery for a prolapsed disc.  I just took it slow and sat much, I took a chair.  There are lots of times when you're just hanging about where you could be sitting, if of course sitting helps you, it does me.  You are however having time off sick quite near the festival, aren't you?  At the end of the day it's your call, only you know how it feels for you, but I would have thought moving and doing your back exercises is a good thing.  Take appropriate pain killers for making sure you can sleep pain free though, as I would have thought not sleeping and having back pain is awful.  Good luck.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

This was me a few years ago. If you're in the acute phase of pain, I highly recommend you don't go. From personal experience of other events its not worthwhile in the long-term. I would also recommend you read a book called 'Back Mechanic' by Professor Stuart McGill. He's the world's leading spine researcher and has worked with elite athletes and government ministers to heal their spines. His book helped me return to intense exercise and activity pain-free.

I'd also recommend you look at https://www.instagram.com/p/CnvNIr9hLH0/?ref=Georgina&hl=af https://www.instagram.com/p/CoBG9G4MyF4/?ref=Georgina&hl=af and https://www.instagram.com/p/CoTOadQOmXf/?ref=Georgina&hl=af

Also consider relative rest where you avoid any activity that makes the pain/symptoms worse for the timebeing, avoid being in any one position (walking, sitting, standing) for too long, and take regular rest breaks (lying on your back (possibly with something under your lower back) and/or lying on your tummy letting your lower back sink into the floor with each passing breath) at regular intervals