Sleeping Dragon in the woods

marathonsteve

I told someone, during the festival,  where it is and despite my clear instructions they didn’t find it. Eventually he located it last year whilst camping at Worthy Pastures. Hope they never make it obvious where it is. I’m sure kids love the way it’s hidden away in a little copse. 

41 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

One of the most amazing elements of the site and love going to see it every trip. (wherever it is 😀)

Can one of you clever people give me the history of this magnificent beast? 

From a FB site called Glastonbury Dragon.....

GLASTONBURY DRAGONS 1992 to 1996
The story of how we made the Dragons
The cycle of Elemental Dragons at Glastonbury began in 1992. At the top of the festival site , above the Green Areas, is Kings Meadow , a field that has become known as the Sacred Space, an area of retreat and reflection. It is the site of the Stone Circle, the Totem and many rituals, songs, dances and weirdness for many years. I was asked to create a Fire Dragon there. And so began the Dragoncircle. It has turned into a way of seeing, experiencing and celebrating the presence of Dragons in the World.
Each year for four years a dragon was built--a full turn of the wheel.
The Fire Dragon
She was built from welded steel and aluminium--60 feet in length. Inside her belly was space for twenty people to sit around a huge egg-shaped kiln. Seven slender shining chimney pipes, 20 feet high, carried away the smoke. The egg became a roaring furnace for four days and four nights. It contained a new, baby dragon, made from water and clay.
Eventually the fire faded and the egg cracked open and crumbled leaving the fired ceramic dragon amongst the ashes.
That night the Fire Dragon breathed gouts of flame across the field and herself burst into a mighty conflagration.
When all was cooled and the festival was over, people came and took away pieces of the fired clay Earth Dragon and so he was scattered and journeyed in many directions.
The Earth Dragon
He took the form of a huge clay kiln over 50 feet long. It was designed to fire itself from within. First, Hazel saplings were cut from the hedges and freshly coppiced withies brought from the lowland withy beds in West Zoyland. A large pit was excavated and the shape of the dragon woven in wicker over the frame. The whole was then covered in layers of paper, clay slip, and a mixture of clay and straw.
The Earth Dragon had returned.
He lay drying in the sun for many days. The fire was lit and soon he breathed smoke and flames into the Air.
Eventually the fierce fire hardened and scorched his skin. The a shock. The circle turned--in a storm of sparks and fire the Dragon collapsed, sank into the Earth , and left.
No trace now remains in the grass of the field.
The Air Dragon
The following year , spurred perhaps by a lick of flame the Air Dragon flew in from the East.
He was made from fabric, wood, and delicate Willow. 40 feet long and suspended high in a tall framework of treetrunks. He hovered thoughtfully in the Air throughout the festival, rising and falling gracefully in the wind, nudged into more erratic movement by passers-by.
As the people began to leave he too departed. His observations complete hecontinued on his journey to the East, carrying the breath of Autumn in his wings.
The Water Dragon
Then the Water Dragon, flying in from the North, chose a place to settle, a new pond on the stream. Over 80 feet long, built on a wood and welded steel framework, with thick layers of concrete and stone gathered from the farm, sliced rocks, crystals and gems.
She, of all four dragons , is the one to stay, blending herself in with the passage of time, a channel for the water, a home for the mosses and lichens and perhaps a refuge for small damp creatures
There has been great Power, Joy, Hard Work, Fear and Discovery in this journey. What it was all about I've still to discover. Lots of odd stories to tell.
Thanks to all the people who helped, especially Mark and Sarah who made the Air Dragon.
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

m not sure where it is but I’m sure my kids will enjoy going on a dragon hunt to try and find it. Talking about dragons, anyone remember this beast 

You might want someone to give you a general area to search in.  It's not obvious, or visible from just wandering around the site. You could have some very frustrated kids!  I'm happy to give you some guidance without giving her location away if you DM me 🙂

7 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

From a FB site called Glastonbury Dragon.....

GLASTONBURY DRAGONS 1992 to 1996
The story of how we made the Dragons
The cycle of Elemental Dragons at Glastonbury began in 1992. At the top of the festival site , above the Green Areas, is Kings Meadow , a field that has become known as the Sacred Space, an area of retreat and reflection. It is the site of the Stone Circle, the Totem and many rituals, songs, dances and weirdness for many years. I was asked to create a Fire Dragon there. And so began the Dragoncircle. It has turned into a way of seeing, experiencing and celebrating the presence of Dragons in the World.
Each year for four years a dragon was built--a full turn of the wheel.
The Fire Dragon
She was built from welded steel and aluminium--60 feet in length. Inside her belly was space for twenty people to sit around a huge egg-shaped kiln. Seven slender shining chimney pipes, 20 feet high, carried away the smoke. The egg became a roaring furnace for four days and four nights. It contained a new, baby dragon, made from water and clay.
Eventually the fire faded and the egg cracked open and crumbled leaving the fired ceramic dragon amongst the ashes.
That night the Fire Dragon breathed gouts of flame across the field and herself burst into a mighty conflagration.
When all was cooled and the festival was over, people came and took away pieces of the fired clay Earth Dragon and so he was scattered and journeyed in many directions.
The Earth Dragon
He took the form of a huge clay kiln over 50 feet long. It was designed to fire itself from within. First, Hazel saplings were cut from the hedges and freshly coppiced withies brought from the lowland withy beds in West Zoyland. A large pit was excavated and the shape of the dragon woven in wicker over the frame. The whole was then covered in layers of paper, clay slip, and a mixture of clay and straw.
The Earth Dragon had returned.
He lay drying in the sun for many days. The fire was lit and soon he breathed smoke and flames into the Air.
Eventually the fierce fire hardened and scorched his skin. The a shock. The circle turned--in a storm of sparks and fire the Dragon collapsed, sank into the Earth , and left.
No trace now remains in the grass of the field.
The Air Dragon
The following year , spurred perhaps by a lick of flame the Air Dragon flew in from the East.
He was made from fabric, wood, and delicate Willow. 40 feet long and suspended high in a tall framework of treetrunks. He hovered thoughtfully in the Air throughout the festival, rising and falling gracefully in the wind, nudged into more erratic movement by passers-by.
As the people began to leave he too departed. His observations complete hecontinued on his journey to the East, carrying the breath of Autumn in his wings.
The Water Dragon
Then the Water Dragon, flying in from the North, chose a place to settle, a new pond on the stream. Over 80 feet long, built on a wood and welded steel framework, with thick layers of concrete and stone gathered from the farm, sliced rocks, crystals and gems.
She, of all four dragons , is the one to stay, blending herself in with the passage of time, a channel for the water, a home for the mosses and lichens and perhaps a refuge for small damp creatures
There has been great Power, Joy, Hard Work, Fear and Discovery in this journey. What it was all about I've still to discover. Lots of odd stories to tell.
Thanks to all the people who helped, especially Mark and Sarah who made the Air Dragon.

@parsonjack you are always a fantastic help! much appreciated!

17 minutes ago, tullux said:

Found it while searching th piano bar...

Exactly how I found it in (I think) 2015. In fact I remember doing so on what must have been the Wednesday night as the piano bar wasn’t finished and I was greeted by half pissed builders who said “what’s the piano bar?”

They must have remembered this as they gave me a wink when they saw me there (inside) on the Friday 😄 

17 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Exactly how I found it in (I think) 2015. In fact I remember doing so on what must have been the Wednesday night as the piano bar wasn’t finished and I was greeted by half pissed builders who said “what’s the piano bar?”

They must have remembered this as they gave me a wink when they saw me there (inside) on the Friday 😄 

The piano bar is one of the most memorable evenings I have had at Glastonbury - entering at dark, and exiting as the sun rose - quite brilliant 

13 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

The piano bar is one of the most memorable evenings I have had at Glastonbury - entering at dark, and exiting as the sun rose - quite brilliant 

My lasting memory of that place is going into a portaloo whilst queueing and it didn't have a back - found a secret entrance! But all my mates were still outside so as I tried to sneak out to tell them I slipped and fell down in the mud face first. Was so embarrassed I didn't realised I had cut my knee open 😄 

Which has just reminded me that it was definitely 2016.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Seriously, I would never have known. It is further up the hill or down the hill from the entrance to the Dragon's lair?

More like 'through' the Dragon's lair tbh....and don't take 'underground' too literally. Subterranean it's not. 

• Upvote 1