How rough/muddy is the trek to the campsites

Bigfishlittlefish

I've heard and seen pictures of uneven muddy treks to the campsite and heard the warnings that small wheels get stuck in the mud so it's best to use big pneumatic tires etc. We are looking at getting two of these bad boys which (I think?) have pneumatic tires but they don't look massively big.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/caperlan-session-barrow/_/R-p-306313?mc=8543093

In your opinion is one of these loaded up to like 80% capacity going to get stuck instantly and be useless?

I don't know why but I imagined the paths up until specific campsite areas would all be paved with some sort of metal grid to make it easier. That's probably just wishful thinking 😂

1 minute ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

I've heard and seen pictures of uneven muddy treks to the campsite and heard the warnings that small wheels get stuck in the mud so it's best to use big pneumatic tires etc. We are looking at getting two of these bad boys which (I think?) have pneumatic tires but they don't look massively big.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/caperlan-session-barrow/_/R-p-306313?mc=8543093

In your opinion is one of these loaded up to like 80% capacity going to get stuck instantly and be useless?

I don't know why but I imagined the paths up until specific campsite areas would all be paved with some sort of metal grid to make it easier. That's probably just wishful thinking 😂

I would go for a Garden trolley over one of those IMO. I've had mine for about a decade - it's down many, many festivals. It could become an absolute quagmire - it all depends on the weather! 

Edited by David_303

1 minute ago, David_303 said:

I would go for a Garden trolley over one of those IMO. I've had mine for about a decade - it's down many, many festivals.

We are worried about getting trolleys on the coach as we already have lots of bulky stuff. These collapse down pretty small whereas the garden trolleys don't seem to as much.

Also these seem to carry more volume and we have a huge tent with separate porch 

Edited by Bigfishlittlefish

10 minutes ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

We are worried about getting trolleys on the coach as we already have lots of bulky stuff. These collapse down pretty small whereas the garden trolleys don't seem to as much.

Also these seem to carry more volume and we have a huge tent with separate porch 

Oh for sure, getting it on a coach wouldn't usually be possible. Good luck in your quest! 

• Like 1

National express may let you take a trolley depending on how busy it is.  Only sack trolleys though.  See tickets appears to have a ban on them.

Btw, your chosen sack trolley appears really expensive.  Much cheaper models out there. Not sure you'd be happy if one that price broke in mud.  Up to you though.

E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michigan-Folding-Compact-Fishing-Equipment/dp/B00B9F0H3A/ref=asc_df_B00B9F0H3A/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=255710331282&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18259978553284785304&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006567&hvtargid=pla-358352399243&psc=1

The trouble with the smaller trolleys is that in a wet year they get stuck in the mud and in a dry year they shake themselves to bits. Our rule is that if you're on the coach as we have been numerous times then you have to only bring what you can physically carry. We split the tent up over both rucksacks like bronze DofE kids!

1 hour ago, Glast0baby said:

National express may let you take a trolley depending on how busy it is.  Only sack trolleys though.  See tickets appears to have a ban on them.

Btw, your chosen sack trolley appears really expensive.  Much cheaper models out there. Not sure you'd be happy if one that price broke in mud.  Up to you though.

E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michigan-Folding-Compact-Fishing-Equipment/dp/B00B9F0H3A/ref=asc_df_B00B9F0H3A/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=255710331282&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18259978553284785304&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006567&hvtargid=pla-358352399243&psc=1

My thinking is the fishing barrow is of a more sturdy construction and can carry a much greater volume of stuff. I do wish it wasn't so expensive but the cheaper ones don't fold away as small as this one 😞

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

The trouble with the smaller trolleys is that in a wet year they get stuck in the mud and in a dry year they shake themselves to bits. Our rule is that if you're on the coach as we have been numerous times then you have to only bring what you can physically carry. We split the tent up over both rucksacks like bronze DofE kids!

I'm afraid were far past this option now as we have spent ~£1k on a 8 man tent and a porch add-on 😅 like I said I'm just trying to get a sense of whether the wheels will be large enough to withstand the potential mud

12 hours ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

I'm afraid were far past this option now as we have spent ~£1k on a 8 man tent and a porch add-on 😅 like I said I'm just trying to get a sense of whether the wheels will be large enough to withstand the potential mud

It's difficult to tell from the pics how big the wheels are and their construction. In lower star reviews however some cited issues the pneumatic tyres. This was met with a response that the manufacturer was changing the design to solid tyres. If so then this is a negative in my experience as solid tyres cope less well with the Glasto terrain, especially the rough road/walkways and any mud. The stone in particular shakes less able trucks to destruction with regular abandon. Broken wheels, axles and metalwork is a regular feature of the walk from car park and gate to the chosen campsite. Though arriving by coach you will avoid the car park walk bit.

Another negative in my opinion is the long low lever point from wheels to the handles. With 2 wheeled sack trucks they can be balanced in an upright position so the majority of the weight goes downwards onto the axles and much less on the arms. I saw an angler using a similar carp cart recently and it ran with a much flatter trajectory, like a stretcher. Hence considerably more weight is placed on the arms, which is the last thing you need when negotiating rough tracks, especially up or down hill.

At the end of the day however it comes down to limitations on what's achieveable. 

how rough it is depends which gate you go in and which campsite you're heading to, it won't be muddy, the ground is firm and dry, it only gets badly muddy when its waterlogged because its been raining constantly since xmas.

14 hours ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

oh. That's more expensive than my 5m bell tent with porch - I just wouldn't bring a 1k tent to Glastonbury for fear of it being irrevocably damaged. Which is not at all a helpful comment I know. But they do tend to take a pasting. 

15 hours ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

Isn't the bigger issue that you may not be able to take a trolly on the coach at all, never mind two of them?  I've never used the coach before but plenty of people who have, all say that you can't take a trolly.  I think you need a plan B for that eventuality?  What if you get told you can't take them on the coach - do you leave them at the pick up point and jump on regardless?  Just something to consider.

16 hours ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

how many of you staying in this 8 man tent ? :-). 

If you are doing some reconsidering following all the advice above, I'd add that you tend to curse every additional pound of weight when carting your stuff across the site (whether in a trolley or not).  For example, I tend to take out the additional poles from my tent which can create an awning from the tent flap and take string instead (you can tie to another tent to create the same effect without taking the poles).  With this in mind I would seriously, seriously, reconsider taking an additional porch.  You simply do not spend much time in the campsite at Glasto ( not if you're doing Glasto right anyway) and may regret taking it... especially if the sheer quantity/size of all your stuff means the coach driver declines to take it.  Again, See tickets are very strict.

But, it's up to you.  This is just meant as well meaning advice.  Especially if you are trying to get this all on a coach.  I hope it doesn't end badly for you. At least you can buy a tent at Glasto if it all goes horribly wrong.

2 hours ago, Skelts said:

Isn't the bigger issue that you may not be able to take a trolly on the coach at all, never mind two of them?  I've never used the coach before but plenty of people who have, all say that you can't take a trolly.  I think you need a plan B for that eventuality?  What if you get told you can't take them on the coach - do you leave them at the pick up point and jump on regardless?  Just something to consider.

My hope is that as they trolley collapses Down pretty much flat it won't be an issue. I admit I'm starting to have nightmares though.

2 hours ago, Skelts said:

If we get refused I break down and cry is my plan. One of our group offer to drive down in that case with the excess stuff but that would throw things off majorly so I hope it doesn't happen

I think if the trolly is between all six of you and everything is on the trolly you'll be fine as long as the driver is reasonable (which isn't a given but in most cases is fine) - just make it clear that yes, it's large but it's for six of you all on the same coach. 

But if you've got that, then everyone also has a massive rucksack and bags of beer or such then you're going to struggle. 

Getting the trolley on the bus will all be down to luck.

Obviously all individual ruck sacks etc will go on first and then it will be down to how much space is left for trollies and you might not be the only one with a trolley

Breaking down and crying will not create more space if there is none.

2 hours ago, mph said:

Getting the trolley on the bus will all be down to luck.

Obviously all individual ruck sacks etc will go on first and then it will be down to how much space is left for trollies and you might not be the only one with a trolley

Breaking down and crying will not create more space if there is none.

How about if I bribe the driver with some sort of baked good whilst also crying?

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I think if the trolly is between all six of you and everything is on the trolly you'll be fine as long as the driver is reasonable (which isn't a given but in most cases is fine) - just make it clear that yes, it's large but it's for six of you all on the same coach. 

But if you've got that, then everyone also has a massive rucksack and bags of beer or such then you're going to struggle. 

Makes sense thanks for your input!

2 hours ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

6 🙂

What time are you arriving?  The problem with big tents (+ awning) is they need a big footprint and are much less adaptable to the space left by tents pitched before your arrival. Walking across the site looking for a space big enough to accommodate your tent should be avoided at all cost.

23 hours ago, Bigfishlittlefish said:

Terrain up from the carparks is surprisingly uneven, even in dry years. Think walking over a farmers field rather than your local park. Once you get onsite there are mainly metal trackways leading to the main camping areas, but getting to the gate is the trickiest part, the zigzags are a grave yard for unsubstantial trolleys. If your looking for a trolley that can cope and that folds down for traveling in by coach then a fishing trolley is probably the way to go.

image.thumb.png.d8a815209f58249cee06ae3db8adf285.png

Edited by midlifecrisis
spelling

@Bigfishlittlefish are you coming by SEE or National Express coach? In my experience NE were quite relaxed about trolleys but on both occasions that I've used them the coaches weren't full. SEE, by all accounts, are stricter because their coaches are full.

You'll arrive at Gate A, whereabouts are you hoping to camp?