Pete McKee

Boomtowner

Out celebrating our anniversary this weekend in Sheffield and Mrs Boomtowner dragged me to an art exhibition (not my usual thing) of a celebrated local artist. Long story short, it was amazing. A real look at working class culture and some fantastic art. Turns out I've seen him perform a couple of times with the Everley Pregnant Brothers but had no idea he was an artist. 

A lot of his work his themed around music, just wondered if there were other fans on here as well. I am genuinely shocked that I haven't seen his work before, especially when our musical taste and political views are obviously similar.

1 hour ago, Boomtowner said:

Out celebrating our anniversary this weekend in Sheffield and Mrs Boomtowner dragged me to an art exhibition (not my usual thing) of a celebrated local artist. Long story short, it was amazing. A real look at working class culture and some fantastic art. Turns out I've seen him perform a couple of times with the Everley Pregnant Brothers but had no idea he was an artist. 

A lot of his work his themed around music, just wondered if there were other fans on here as well. I am genuinely shocked that I haven't seen his work before, especially when our musical taste and political views are obviously similar.

I know his work, I was a regular at the Wapentake back in the day (Sheffield Rock Bar) and he has done a few paintings of there, and as you a lot are music themed. I bought my brother his a limited edition Sheffield Wednesday Pete McKee shirt for Christmas!

Edited by StoneCircle

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Aw yes I love his work. I follow him on Twitter and Instagram. 

Mrs Boomtowner has also been following him for a long time too, I'm a little disappointed she didn't introduce me to him earlier.

I'm now following him on the dreaded FB, but I've been going trough his back catalogue. I bought a copy of the Snog as an anniversary present for us.

The Snog

1 hour ago, StoneCircle said:

I know his work, I was a regular at the Wapentake back in the day (Sheffield Rock Bar) and he has done a few paintings of there, and as you a lot are music themed. I bought my brother his a limited edition Sheffield Wednesday Pete McKee shirt for Christmas!

Assuming it's this one? If so, it's cool.

Does he wear it or does he have it framed?

Typical Wednesday T-Shirt

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

Mrs Boomtowner has also been following him for a long time too, I'm a little disappointed she didn't introduce me to him earlier.

I'm now following him on the dreaded FB, but I've been going trough his back catalogue. I bought a copy of the Snog as an anniversary present for us.

The Snog

That’s lovely 🥰 

I follow him on twitter, he’s great.. I’ll have to make it to his exhibition.  I don’t own any of his art but I love the big pieces he’s done around the city.  We have some amazing artists in Sheffield, Phlegm, Craww (his early stuff) and Mila K are more up my street but I love some of the music related McKee art.

Edited by Pipine

32 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I follow him on twitter, he’s great.. I’ll have to make it to his exhibition.  I don’t own any of his art but I love the big pieces he’s done around the city.  We have some amazing artists in Sheffield, Phlegm, Craww (his early stuff) and Mila K are more up my street but I love some of the music related McKee art.

Thanks, I'll check out the other ones.

@PipineJust checked then out, turns out I saw quite a few Phlegm works over the weekend. They're really impressive I much prefer street art to art galleries. I've been fortunate to see a lot of street art around the world, my favourite so far is DJ Lu, a Colombian artist. Well worth checking out if you like your street art