Best way to carry gin & tonic?

Brave Sir Robin

G&T  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Best way to carry gin and tonic?

• Bring a bottle of each
    • Bring a pre-mixed bottle
    • Just bring gin - get mixers at the bars/Co-op?
    • Pre-mixed cans

2 hours ago, mttJ said:

Ha, hadn’t even considered this stuff. I was (seemingly optimistically) assuming there’d be a supermarket nearby we could stroll to after setting up camp.

I think I’ll decant some spirits into plastic bottles and see if we can manage two crates each on the walk in.

Anything other than that, it’ll be bars! 

Are you driving or on the coach? I have seen some heroic efforts to cart 100s of cans across site on a trolley, taped together with gaffa and hope. You should be able to buy things on site but they will extremely expensive compared to what you can take in and carry yourself. 

4 minutes ago, irnkrtn said:

Are you driving or on the coach? I have seen some heroic efforts to cart 100s of cans across site on a trolley, taped together with gaffa and hope. You should be able to buy things on site but they will extremely expensive compared to what you can take in and carry yourself. 

Currently looks like we're getting the train (pending any strikes). Ideal world would be driving so we could leave it in the car and take a second trip after bringing in the main supplies, but I believe there's going to be one too many of us for that. 

Done some pretty heroic efforts in the past, only once being beaten (lost a crate) in a scorching hot Isle of Wight in 2014! I definitely don't mind making the most of the bars at times, but it does feel a little silly given this is the first festival I'd have attended where you can bring your own alcohol anywhere.

46 minutes ago, mttJ said:

Currently looks like we're getting the train (pending any strikes). Ideal world would be driving so we could leave it in the car and take a second trip after bringing in the main supplies, but I believe there's going to be one too many of us for that. 

Done some pretty heroic efforts in the past, only once being beaten (lost a crate) in a scorching hot Isle of Wight in 2014! I definitely don't mind making the most of the bars at times, but it does feel a little silly given this is the first festival I'd have attended where you can bring your own alcohol anywhere.

I don't really drink anymore - but in my glory days, I found I'd cart a bunch of cans on site and never drink them. Eventually I stuck to spirits, and would then buy mixers on site. I also would make novelty spirits, but this was definitely a waste of crap vodka! There's a huge amount of delicious options on site - you can't not have a hot spicy cider from the cider bus - but if you can make the space and carry the weight I'd definitely opt for some spirits at least!

It's somehow part of the festival that you're able to pull a bottle of whiskey out your pocket and there's nothing illicit about it!  

• Like 1

It might cost more but buying mixers onsite is the way to go. No extra weight to carry in and you enjoy cold drinks everyday!

The arrival of the co-op in 2019 was a god send for this. I used to buy mixers from ice cream vans and they a v v expensive. 🙃

On 5/29/2022 at 10:15 PM, rebus said:

What do people decant their glass bottled spirits into?  Is there any advantage to using a posher bottle than just a reused mineral water type plastic bottle?  Will be adding tonic/ice and lime separately.  G&Ts will just be a campsite tipple for us.

Metal bottles all the way for spirits - three days in plastic in a hot tent left my rum tasting like old tyres. Bonus points if you get a metal thermos: you can freeze the spirit in its original bottle and it'll stay liquid because of all the booze, decant it at -10C, and then it'll help chill down whatever you mix it with for the next few days. 

• Thanks 1