Best way to carry gin & tonic?

Brave Sir Robin

G&T  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Best way to carry gin and tonic?

• Bring a bottle of each
    • Bring a pre-mixed bottle
    • Just bring gin - get mixers at the bars/Co-op?
    • Pre-mixed cans

50 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

After years of pre-mixing and carrying a shedload of Rum & Coke into the festival and feeling like my back is going to snap in 2, I am now firmly in the "decant your spirit and buy your mixer on site" camp. It might cost a little more but if it makes the walk in easier and my back doesn't feel as fragile as a quaver by the time I get to camp then it's worth it.

Fragile as a quaver is certainly evocative and that doesn't sound like it could carry much tonic.

36 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

Bottle of gin and fever tree cans. I didn't go in the coop last time so not sure if they sell it there to top up but I'm fairly sure they sold bottled tonic at Leeds fest

If they're cutting back on plastic and glass is out, then the middle class ponce such as myself may be well catered for with posh tonic?

My experience of bringing gin and tonics into any festival has necessitated plenty of these (emptied into a plastic container);

Biggar Strength Gin

Then boxes of quality cheap tonic eg.

Ridge Valley Light Indian Tonic Water 8x150ml

Then one of these (large) filled to the top with ice;

Coleman Cool-Box, Poly-Lite blue Blue-Blue Size:Standard : Sports & Outdoors

If you do this too, I can personally guarantee that it will be successful. As to how that success is defined, is up to the individual.*

* - and maybe the laws of the land, especially those that err more towards trying to maintain a common sense of decency.

We fill a camelbak bladder and my mate takes on the role of gin mule for the weekend, complete with cut limes and mixers.  He does nothing in terms of prep in the lead up to a festival but he’s awesome to have around when we get there.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:52 PM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Had a thread on this complete with a poll that was getting some helpful responses but seems to have mysteriously disappeared. So I’ll try again.

What’s the best way to bring in/carry gin and tonic? Does it work to premix a bottle? Bring a bottle of each? Just bring gin & go to bars/Co-op for mixers? Or the pre-mixed cans?

I pour the gin in my pockets and freeze tonic into ice cubes which i carry around in a little paper bag. Seems the most obvious way to me, surprised not to see an option for this on the poll. D@b down. 

Edited by SouthbanKen

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve not tried apple brandy. Any brand to recommend? 

Nope … neither have I … apart from cider bus …. Although can’t really remember … and no idea how it compares to others 

Edited by crazyfool1

• 2 weeks later...

This year, as I'm in the campervan, I'll be bringing my plastic Spritz glasses and some pre-mix cans of Aperol Spritz. Will freeze some orange slices. This will suit the 30 degree heat we will be having and the Italian Summer vibes. 

When I was on a coach, would decant spirits into plastic bottles and buy mixers on site. Increasingly would also tip towards a spirit that tastes alright warm/neat as the laziness for ice and queueing would take hold! 20 years on though and I think I'll wait for some sophisticated ice. 

On 5/19/2022 at 9:50 AM, gazzared said:

Haha yeah although I wouldn't trust myself drinking spirits at Glastonbury I'd be a mess

I move to spirits in the evening to avoid the “I need a pee now!!” situation in the middle of a headliner. Gets worse with age…

26 minutes ago, irnkrtn said:

This year, as I'm in the campervan, I'll be bringing my plastic Spritz glasses and some pre-mix cans of Aperol Spritz. Will freeze some orange slices. This will suit the 30 degree heat we will be having and the Italian Summer vibes. 

When I was on a coach, would decant spirits into plastic bottles and buy mixers on site. Increasingly would also tip towards a spirit that tastes alright warm/neat as the laziness for ice and queueing would take hold! 20 years on though and I think I'll wait for some sophisticated ice. 

Jut added pre mix aperol cans to my list. Thanks

Ha, hadn’t even considered this stuff. I was (seemingly optimistically) assuming there’d be a supermarket nearby we could stroll to after setting up camp.

I think I’ll decant some spirits into plastic bottles and see if we can manage two crates each on the walk in.

Anything other than that, it’ll be bars! 

What do people decant their glass bottled spirits into?  Is there any advantage to using a posher bottle than just a reused mineral water type plastic bottle?  Will be adding tonic/ice and lime separately.  G&Ts will just be a campsite tipple for us.

2 minutes ago, rebus said:

What do people decant their glass bottled spirits into?  Is there any advantage to using a posher bottle than just a reused mineral water type plastic bottle?  Will be adding tonic/ice and lime separately.  G&Ts will just be a campsite tipple for us.

Any carbonated bottle will be suitable for either carbonation or not splitting/leaking, and the storage isn't long term. I've got a van, so got some BPA etc free containers for longer term lightweight storage over the holidays.