Maceo's

vigo

Does anyone know if there's any way to get into Maceo's if you're not working at block9/the festival. Totally appreciate that there might not be and think it's an amazing aspect/perk of working at the festival that you get access to these special stages and venues after all your hard work but just thought I would ask as Block9 is by far the area of the festival most in line with my music taste and I'm always a bit gutted to miss some of the sets that happen in there. 

Anyone had any luck? Or is it a definite no-go. 

I’ve never even tried to be honest. Sometimes you’d see a DJ tweet they’re on in Maceos at a certain time and I’d think love to see that but it’s never happened. 

I’m sure I read an interview ages ago that they don’t really bang it out in there and it’s a more down tempo sets. May be wrong on that. 

You’d need a crew/Block 9 wristband or know someone who can get you one. I doubt you’d be able to blag it but what have you got to lose in trying! 

16 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’ve never even tried to be honest. Sometimes you’d see a DJ tweet they’re on in Maceos at a certain time and I’d think love to see that but it’s never happened. 

I’m sure I read an interview ages ago that they don’t really bang it out in there and it’s a more down tempo sets. May be wrong on that. 

It goes off on Tuesday night but during the festival it’s more calm than the area outside it. 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

It goes off on Tuesday night but during the festival it’s more calm than the area outside it. 

I John Moncur. Tend to go in places like Maceos and Tow and Hitch to get some respite during the festival. It's the nights before the gates open when the atmosphere in those places is a bit special.

Like the boozers on Christmas Eve but without the w*nkers in reindeer sweaters glassing each other

6 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I John Moncur. Tend to go in places like Maceos and Tow and Hitch to get some respite during the festival. It's the nights before the gates open when the atmosphere in those places is a bit special.

Like the boozers on Christmas Eve but without the w*nkers in reindeer sweaters glassing each other

😂 without w*nkers in general!

I’ve found Tow and Hitch is less calm when Arcadia is in full swing, but it does have the best view possible!  

I saw Fatboy Slim play there Friday afternoon in 2013, a friend not at the festival was watching out on Twitter for any secret sets and luckily we were in the Greenfields when we got the text. I texted another mate who is a huge fan and literally bumped into her in Block 9. She hadn't seen the text, it was just coincidence she was there, we all piled in and there were about 100 in there. Password needed to get in (we weren't staff) which was Eat Sleep Rave Repeat!  

4 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

That's my experience too, that they don't bang it out, maybe not always so down tempo during peak hours though.

Whilst it's nice to be able to get in there it's not the place i'd go to see my favourite DJ. The dancefloor isn't that big and it's not got a huge soundsystem like a stage would have. It's mostly full of people sitting round chatting and having a drink.

I tried to get in one evening in 2016 I think without a crew band, the bouncers weren't having any of it. It was only about 8pm and I could see it was fairly empty, but they weren't budging so I gave up. Enjoyed a few beers in the shade there with a newspaper on Saturday afternoon in 2019, very chilled (had the crew band that year). 

5 minutes ago, SGS said:

May be a controversial opinion but the site is huge with a ton of bars and venues - let the crew have somewhere they can chill out and just relax - would you try to get into the interstage area or the area where all the food is stored?

Nothing controversial about that, i think its spot on. Its blissful to sit down at 2.10pm in a staff bar with loads of comfy seating with a pint in your hand and just rest your feet, having been on them since 5am - recharge the batteries a bit, and then think about going to see a band/wandering around/generally doing all the things. The public bars dont tend to have readily available seating and i need a sitdown after doing a shift! 

15 minutes ago, SGS said:

May be a controversial opinion but the site is huge with a ton of bars and venues - let the crew have somewhere they can chill out and just relax - would you try to get into the interstage area or the area where all the food is stored?

Totally agree, I’m not crew or related to the festival in anyway, I’m sure these crew bars are great and all, but I really don’t know why as a general punter you’d give trying to access these places a second thought. I think there is more than enough to keep you occupied, you’d think most people would be satisfied with the whole of Glastonbury at their disposal.

5 hours ago, SGS said:

No you're right to be honest and I do know that. And as I said I think it's a great thing that all of you guys who put so much work into making our experience as incredible as it is have some special areas for yourselves. I'm just being greedy but you're right there's more than enough out there for us and if I can't find something to satisfy myself in what's offered that probably says more about me than anything else. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/16/2022 at 11:54 AM, SGS said:

It's not a controversial opinion at all, it's spot on. Unfortunately Maceos made the decision many years ago to give out Maceos bundles of wristbands to crew pre-festival. Any crew can get into this venue, so the bands are clearly for punters who are friends of crew. As above the crew need their own venues to relax away from the chaos.

So to answer the original question, yes you can get into Maceos as a punter.

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

It's not a controversial opinion at all, it's spot on. Unfortunately Maceos made the decision many years ago to give out Maceos bundles of wristbands to crew pre-festival. Any crew can get into this venue, so the bands are clearly for punters who are friends of crew. As above the crew need their own venues to relax away from the chaos.

So to answer the original question, yes you can get into Maceos as a punter.

Thing is, it’s still a filter.  People are either crew, or invited by crew.  The numbers are limited and you don’t get many twats.

59 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

A bit like the rest of the festival then ? 

Erm... well, I'm sure I'm not alone in experiencing shitty atmospheres and homophobic comments elsewhere around the festival.  It's to be expected in a mixed crowd that large I guess but some areas are nicer than others for sure.