Surprise Ideas

Lucy92

Hi all, it’s been a while! So I’m after surprise ideas for my brother for his first Glastonbury. My dad sadly died in February suddenly after finding out he had cancer. It’s been hard to get too excited for Glastonbury since then and I want to try and organise something as a surprise for my brother as it’s his first one this year and it’ll be the first big thing we’ve done since we lost dad. Any ideas? I’ve contacted the festival for ideas too but thought there’s alot of amazing people here who might know of things. 

For my birthday one year, I made a silver ring in the green craft fields. It was about £50 and was with Julia Thompson Jewellery. The workshop was about 3 hours and I did it on a Thursday morning. Not sure if it's his thing mind?

• Upvote 3

You could ask Glastonbury Free Press to print a message in the classified section of the newspaper.  I did this on site for some friends one year but if you contacted them ahead you might get a message in the first edition.

They've got a Twitter at @glastofreepress

• Upvote 6

Just now, parsonjack said:

You could ask Glastonbury Free Press to print a message in the classified section of the newspaper.  I did this on site for some friends one year but if you contacted them ahead you might get a message in the first edition.

They've got a Twitter at @glastofreepress

This is a great idea! I love this, we could do something for dad in it. Thanks I’ll try and get in contact with them. 

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Could you get a bin painted for him and task him with finding it?

Dunno if Dan Glastonbury is taking donations again this year? 

The donation thing opened and closed a while back, but no doubt if the OP reached out to him he might accommodate it.

When I say closed, it was only the first 100 donations of £40 that were guaranteed and there have been more since, but you can still donate and it might get done:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/charitybins2022

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The donation thing opened and closed a while back, but no doubt if the OP reached out to him he might accommodate it.

When I say closed, it was only the first 100 donations of £40 that were guaranteed and there have been more since, but you can still donate and it might get done:

Thanks! 

Best Glast surprise I ever had was a friend arriving with frozen cocktail packs on a heatwave year.  Enjoyed it twice, both wiped all over my body and then in my belly!

More seriously, you could get something cool to give him at the festival.  One year I bought some amazing sunnies which had been art and crafted on Etsy with model dinosaurs on them.  Presenting something novelty like that, maybe wearable LED2 clothing (?) could be a great surprise and then you have the fun of it throughout the fest?  

4 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Maybe try and get a message on one of the screens or something. John Peel might be possible? Or contact a smaller act you’re trying to see and ask them to dedicate a song to your brother/dad. Sorry for your loss.

I agree with this. Try and contact a band you both love to dedicate a song. 

Great shout @Ryan1984 – that feels like a real in. Aiming to see Primal Scream and will be delighted if they go ahead with a little tribute message on screens or on the mic.

Sorry for your loss @Lucy92, but hope you have a great fest and get a surprise (or several) sorted across the weekend.

On 5/14/2022 at 12:32 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Also dantasticglastonbury@gmail.com which he quotes on his insta page. They certainly are great bins 😊

Sorry for your loss @Lucy92

It will clearly be an emotional time for you both, but hopefully you can do something lovely (and maybe have some fun) too x 

Edited by clarkete