Trance music

BrimfulOfAsha

Back in the day, I used to mainly go to Uplifting and Hard Trance nights when I was clubbing (i.e. aeons ago). Seems like this musical genre has sort of died and I struggle to find newer acts who play similar sorts of music. Can anyone suggest any of the line up that would appeal along these lines? Very much looking forward to Bicep but not sure I know much else of the line up. 

Thanks! 

27 minutes ago, BrimfulOfAsha said:

Back in the day, I used to mainly go to Uplifting and Hard Trance nights when I was clubbing (i.e. aeons ago). Seems like this musical genre has sort of died and I struggle to find newer acts who play similar sorts of music. Can anyone suggest any of the line up that would appeal along these lines? Very much looking forward to Bicep but not sure I know much else of the line up. 

Thanks! 

Come and join the Electronica thread, you'll definitely get a steer from the friendly gang in there.

As you say, that late-90s trance has had its day but I still love listening to it. Somebody like @FuzzyDunlop, who still enjoys the genre may be able to point out some acts of interest...

54 minutes ago, BrimfulOfAsha said:

Thanks! 

I'm very much of the same upbringing. Check out Camelphat for some trance-like breakdowns and riffs, it's a bit like throwback prog. You also have Sasha & Digweed too. I think they are as close as you'll get at Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, BrimfulOfAsha said:

Thanks! 

It's pretty much straight-up psytrance, but Thursday nights in the Glade Lounge, now Dome, is where they tend tpo have a few hours of full on trance. And it's great. It's a brilliant change in variety from the more popular dance genres that you'll find in abundance on Fri-Sun nights. Tristan, as said, also Regan playing this year in a new venue.

I'm very excited.

Ben

20 hours ago, BrimfulOfAsha said:

Thanks! 

Hello! To be honest new Trance has got a bit boring, I still love stuff circa 97-2005. You won't find too much tbh at Glastonbury. What I would say though is that techno now is very much classic trance riff driven. Amelie Lens plays techno, but with recognisable trance loops. Nina Kravitz at Arcadia is known for dropping some trance into her sets.

Sasha / Digweed could well play some, or at least stuff I think you will like. If you are looking for an old Crasher sound of Scott Bond, PVD or Eddie Halliwell, you are probably out of luck...

so here is probably something up your street!

5 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Hello! To be honest new Trance has got a bit boring, I still love stuff circa 97-2005. You won't find too much tbh at Glastonbury. What I would say though is that techno now is very much classic trance riff driven. Amelie Lens plays techno, but with recognisable trance loops. Nina Kravitz at Arcadia is known for dropping some trance into her sets.

Sasha / Digweed could well play some, or at least stuff I think you will like. If you are looking for an old Crasher sound of Scott Bond, PVD or Eddie Halliwell, you are probably out of luck...

I would lose my shit to this. 

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

ah the glory years of trance. Would love to hear some vintage trance at Glasto but doubt that it would happen. Will be checking out Sasha and Digweed in the hope of hearing some.

Random question - are you the same fuzzydunlop off Pinkbike? 

41 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

ah the glory years of trance. Would love to hear some vintage trance at Glasto but doubt that it would happen. Will be checking out Sasha and Digweed in the hope of hearing some.

Ha ha... no that's not me. Fuzzy Dunlop is a name given to a fake informant in the Wire. I think it's quite a popular messageboard name.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Ha ha... no that's not me. Fuzzy Dunlop is a name given to a fake informant in the Wire. I think it's quite a popular messageboard name.

Ah haha, they even have the same picture of the tennis ball, knew I'd seen the name somewhere.

1 hour ago, Dave_c said:

You won't hear trance at Sasha and Digweed. Towards the end of the set you'll get more progressive house/ deep house stuff but they don't touch trance anymore. It's more melodic house/ techno. 

Triston and System 7 in Glade Dome are trance. 

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

You won't hear trance at Sasha and Digweed. Towards the end of the set you'll get more progressive house/ deep house stuff but they don't touch trance anymore. It's more melodic house/ techno. 

Triston and System 7 in Glade Dome are trance. 

Yeah. I do think it could be something an old trance fan would like though.

13 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Yeah. I do think it could be something an old trance fan would like though.

Yep, there's definitely something in the breakdowns in a lot Anjunadeep records that remind me of late 90s trance. Probably why I like it so much.

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Ahhhhh, Lange. Responsible for many an arm raised in the air