Coach Times Email

cheesey_toastie

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but it is coach related and I didn't want to start a new topic.

We're going by coach for the first time this year having previously driven in from fairly near by. Obviously there's a massive difference in the amount of stuff we can take so our alcohol limit is drastically reduced. If we have someone from Shepton Mallet who could bring us some extras, what would be the best plan of attack? At the moment, the only thing I can think of would be meeting them at the showground drop off, but that would still be a trek. Is there any way of them getting closer?

Alternatively, what have people got away with bringing on the coach in the past?

2 minutes ago, deefer6 said:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but it is coach related and I didn't want to start a new topic.

We're going by coach for the first time this year having previously driven in from fairly near by. Obviously there's a massive difference in the amount of stuff we can take so our alcohol limit is drastically reduced. If we have someone from Shepton Mallet who could bring us some extras, what would be the best plan of attack? At the moment, the only thing I can think of would be meeting them at the showground drop off, but that would still be a trek. Is there any way of them getting closer?

Alternatively, what have people got away with bringing on the coach in the past?

Yep that’s pretty much only option unless you get the bus to shepton yourself … the luggage limit is a tent , one hand luggage and one rucksack , the rest won’t get loaded untill after everything else is my understanding and there is a chance it will remain on the roadside … 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep that’s pretty much only option unless you get the bus to shepton yourself … the luggage limit is a tent , one hand luggage and one rucksack , the rest won’t get loaded untill after everything else is my understanding and there is a chance it will remain on the roadside … 

That's what I'd heard. I'd hate to be driving away from a pile of beer so it might have to be the bus to Shepton. I once walked to Shepton from the site but I'm not sure that's even an option any more.

5 hours ago, deefer6 said:

That's what I'd heard. I'd hate to be driving away from a pile of beer so it might have to be the bus to Shepton. I once walked to Shepton from the site but I'm not sure that's even an option any more.

Unless you know someone else who is coming to the festival or find a very helpful soul on here?

In that circumstance then even if you couldn't get it to that person first hand you could get an online supermarket order delivered to them and you'd then need to meet on site to collect from their car/campervan.

16 hours ago, deefer6 said:

Depends where you're camping. Might be easier to exit via Gate A - walk up Park Hill A361 to Pilton and meet them there. The drop off spots and parking restrictions mean it would be a sod to pull up anywhere useful... this is the closest spot I can think of from a Gate to somewhere likely to be somewhat unrestricted access via a car.

1 minute ago, cheesey_toastie said:

Depends where you're camping. Might be easier to exit via Gate A - walk up Park Hill A361 to Pilton and meet them there. The drop off spots and parking restrictions mean it would be a sod to pull up anywhere useful... this is the closest spot I can think of from a Gate to somewhere likely to be somewhat unrestricted access via a car.

Sorry - I mean meet them in Pilton not on the A-road. The road will be chocca and there are stopping restrictions - you'll annoy everyone if you try to stop there! 

My recommendation would be to do this on the Thursday too when things are a bit calmer.

Whatever you do try not to annoy the residents, it's a little village and takes the strain - they have enough to put up with / enjoy!! 

Edited by cheesey_toastie

16 hours ago, deefer6 said:

It’s been a while since I got the coach, but we have got on with a very well packed trolley before and put our booze on that. Didn’t take up much more space than our massive tent the way we’d packed it so the driver was fine with it going on. Also let our friends sit with their booze on their laps. Basically whatever you could carry was fine as long as you weren’t massively taking the piss with what you were loading on. 

Nowadays we don’t take as much booze and just get pints there. We get mixers from the coop on site to save carrying those. 

Edited by Lucy92

6 hours ago, cheesey_toastie said:

Sorry - I mean meet them in Pilton not on the A-road. The road will be chocca and there are stopping restrictions - you'll annoy everyone if you try to stop there! 

My recommendation would be to do this on the Thursday too when things are a bit calmer.

Whatever you do try not to annoy the residents, it's a little village and takes the strain - they have enough to put up with / enjoy!! 

This was the kind of thing I was thinking, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

It’s been a while since I got the coach, but we have got on with a very well packed trolley before and put our booze on that. Didn’t take up much more space than our massive tent the way we’d packed it so the driver was fine with it going on. Also let our friends sit with their booze on their laps. Basically whatever you could carry was fine as long as you weren’t massively taking the piss with what you were loading on. 

Nowadays we don’t take as much booze and just get pints there. We get mixers from the coop on site to save carrying those. 

I completely forgot about the carry on bag option, I reckon we could probably load up a rucksack with a decent amount of stuff. Cheers!

30 minutes ago, deefer6 said:

I completely forgot about the carry on bag option, I reckon we could probably load up a rucksack with a decent amount of stuff. Cheers!

No problem! It’s amazing what you can fit in a rucksack (bags of wine with a little taken out fill space around cans nicely ha!) 

One of the coach operator owners. And they're a major outfit.

They get to see the master list of all coach numbers and which company is fulfilling them. Also if there is indeed someone to drive the bloody thing.

They've had to poach agency drivers from as far as Leeds, and are still well short.

Another benefit of these Sunlit Uplands!

8 minutes ago, Pazzler said:

One of the coach operator owners. And they're a major outfit.

They get to see the master list of all coach numbers and which company is fulfilling them. Also if there is indeed someone to drive the bloody thing.

They've had to poach agency drivers from as far as Leeds, and are still well short.

Another benefit of these Sunlit Uplands!

Best those agency drivers are getting offered a good wage for it!

With all the recent flight cancellations/delays happening it's making me a bit nervous about not getting to Bristol on time and missing the coach. Has anyone any experience or knowledge of what happens in this scenario, surely it can't just be sorry you missed the coach, tough luck?

Unclaimed tickets are handed over by the coach driver, and held by the See Tickets rep at Gate A. 

Plenty of coaches going from Bristol throughout the day, so quite possible that you can squeeze onto one of those, as there's usually a space from a no-show.

45 minutes ago, Pazzler said:

Unclaimed tickets are handed over by the coach driver, and held by the See Tickets rep at Gate A. 

Plenty of coaches going from Bristol throughout the day, so quite possible that you can squeeze onto one of those, as there's usually a space from a no-show.

That's great to know - thanks